Originally Posted by sinaisix View Post
I did not say the article said so. What I was implying was that every single decision he's made has not been in Nokia's interest looking at those common sense questions.

His decisions not being in Nokia's interests makes him a MS trojan horse sent in to destroy the mobile giant...or at best to hand it over to Redmond on a silver platter...
rather then a trojan, he could simply be so deeply a product of his (former) environment that he doesn't understand the world outside of m$ any more. maybe one of the reasons he "could"quit m$?
looking @ his career track on his wiki page one can't help wondering...

however;
i can't help feeling that the best description was the Dilbert cartoon someone had posted on "The EPIC N9 anticipation thread" showing the Mgr. announcing a new marketing guy "who previously worked in a shampoo company (or so) but had assured the Mgr. he would have no problem adapting to a technology company..."
the new guy "i thought you said ASTROLOGY???"

obviously Elop is so intoxicated by his nearly 3 yrs @ m$ (his longest tenure yet, by far, at least as a top mgr.) that he doesn't realize how different the mobile phone market (today) is from the Personal Computer market 30 yrs ago
or that the only reason why m@ke$$h!t is one of the biggest software company in the world right now is only because IBM choose them as a gap filler 'til they could get their own PC OS (eventually OS/2) ready. they weren't even able to develop M$-DOS themselves but had to buy (dixit) Quick and Dirty Operating System from another company ¦-))))))))))))
LostDOS NT was developed by a VMS engineer that m$ bought out from DEC...

one can't help wondering what office software has to do with (operating system) technology, but maybe they didn't even look @ his résumé?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Accra Ghana
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post

Elop has said no more MeeGo. Harmattan is not MeeGo, Maemo is not MeeGo. I can't recall Nokia has ever really stated no more Maemo.
Yay, Nokia has not abandoned Maemo... upcoming update for N900...yay...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sinaisix For This Useful Post:
[...]

Elop has said no more MeeGo. Harmattan is not MeeGo, Maemo is not MeeGo. I can't recall Nokia has ever really stated no more Maemo.
do you really think he knows the difference?

Last edited by misterc; 2011-07-06 at 11:29.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
There is a new management philosophy which supercedes the MBA, it is the MMBA, The Microsoft Muppet ******** Academy which is based on the teachings of grand guru and learned leader Steve Ballmer (The Grand Microsoft Master, the man who single-handedly conquerred the whole smartphone world with ten years of Microsoft Windows Mobile; whose earthshattering Kin phones were the global hit, so popular they had to be withdrawn from sales in only six weeks; and the Microsoft Windows Phone 7 an operating system so powerful most of its handset makers are deserting the platform and the reseller channel is actively boycotting it). The head of the MMBA is of course Stephen Elop the Learned, the sharpest knife in the cabinet, the quickest brain in the business and the smoothest operator of the whole universe of telecoms.
Haha, seriously

The Following User Says Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
On the topic of Elop not actually knowing much about mobile technology, did anyone else see the recent interview where he said Nokia's internet tablets ran on MeeGo? Amazing display of ignorance.

Quim Gil gave answer to this question (http://flors.wordpress.com/):

- If the Nokia N9 is successful will you ship more high-end smartphones powered either by MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan or a fully compliant MeeGo?

Since #feb11 Nokia has a clear software strategy where high-end smartphones are covered by the collaboration with Microsoft on Windows Phone, therefore the consequent answer is the one already given by Stephen Elop: No.

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Ahonen is always spot on and funny. That doesn't mean he is correct though or that he even has the fact straight. For instance, the N8 sold lots and lots, and still do. But how much did the development cost, and how long did it take to develop and so on?

The point is does Elop even know that Maemo exists?

The Following User Says Thank You to vivmak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
@ericsson

I enjoy Tomi Ahonen's rants as much as anyone, but you have hit the nail on the head - although he has a lot of facts at his fingertips he may not always apply the right evidence to the right (alleged) crime.

You are also spot on-on about the future of Meego: Elop has only eliminated Meego from Nokia's future, not Maemo or Harmattan...

I would expect him to want to focus on WP as Nokia's declared 'main smartphone platform' to preserve a clear message. He may also want to keep Microsoft sweet as they are effectively pumping cash into Nokia right now.

I don't know what Tomi Ahonen's motives are, but he is certainly driving lots of traffic to his site and raising his profile considerably by adopting his 'anti-Elop' stance.

EDIT: should've been posted in response to ericsson's post

Last edited by NokTokDaddy; 2011-07-06 at 12:04.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Accra Ghana
Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
@ericsson

I enjoy Tomi Ahonen's rants as much as anyone, but you have hit the nail on the head - although he has a lot of facts at his fingertips he may not always apply the right evidence to the right (alleged) crime.

You are also spot on-on about the future of Meego: Elop has only eliminated Meego from Nokia's future, not Maemo or Harmattan...

I would expect him to want to focus on WP as Nokia's declared 'main smartphone platform' to preserve a clear message. He may also want to keep Microsoft sweet as they are effectively pumping cash into Nokia right now.

I don't know what Tomi Ahonen's motives are, but he is certainly driving lots of traffic to his site and raising his profile considerably by adopting his 'anti-Elop' stance.

EDIT: should've been posted in response to ericsson's post
Anti-Elop stance? Elop has by his actions, pronouncements and everything destroyed Nokia in the last year than all of Nokia's rot since the days of old.

Elop is systematically destroying Nokia, it's cool if one chooses not to see, but Nokia *is* definitely going down under Elop

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sinaisix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted by terro View Post
Quim Gil gave answer to this question (http://flors.wordpress.com/):

- If the Nokia N9 is successful will you ship more high-end smartphones powered either by MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan or a fully compliant MeeGo?

Since #feb11 Nokia has a clear software strategy where high-end smartphones are covered by the collaboration with Microsoft on Windows Phone, therefore the consequent answer is the one already given by Stephen Elop: No.
- True, but I don't really regard the N9 as 'high end', do you?

The N950 is certainly not high end - you just can't buy it as it's a developer-only model.

A true high-end model would have to be accompanied by a supporting ecosystem of apps and services which Meego cannot offer; Symbian, and eventually Windows Phone will be Nokia's high-end device OS for this reason.

But I can see that if N9 is a commercial success (and it's looking good so far) Nokia could develop Meego/Harmattan for future 'disruptive' launches.

That would be in line with Elop's and Qim Gil's responses so far, but whatever is stated, you can bet that if the market turns any manufacturer would eat their own words to keep themselves in the game, so I don't think we should take any of this too seriously.

Tags
balmer was here, e6 rox, elop rox, elop snopp, elop's fool, the elop flop