Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Yup...
I can agree with all that you said....
Still...
I think when the new librem 5 comes out ...the intent by the plasma mobile team is to be prepared...for it.
still even still...
3 gb ram on the librem 5 ..is a mite bit on the lean side for plasma ...
I would want more still for plasma...
like a absolute minimum of 4 gb
6 would be fine ..
8 would be optimal..

3 gb is shaving it close ...for what is to be expected not only out of plasma ..but the expectation of resource consumption out of standard applications in the next few years ...on top of the consumption of what plasma wants...

And yes it isn't as resource hungry as gnome or now defunct unity...
But that is if you keep the settings down...to +1 +2 +3 ...out of +10..

But who the hell wants to keep the settings down when you have plasma??
what is the point of having plasma if you can't turn everything on the dials up to +11 out of +10???

I think we are heading back to the Pinto - Lamborghini ...or rather as I now will coin it
"The Pintoghini Dilemma"
hahahahahaa
that sounds pretty freakin cool...actually ..
an insanely fast suicidal exploding hybrid super-car ...

ooooh...that gives me an idea for the final countdown halloween moviefest...
Gotta add
"Christine"
and
"Killdozer"
to the list of must watch before halloween hits..
then it is pure old skool Bela Lugosi , Boris Karloff , Lon Chaney Jr. ...etc...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2018-10-26 at 15:17.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
When have you used it the last time? There have been a lot of improvements regarding resource hunger. Of course, compairing it with xfce or lxde it's a beast. But at least a a beautiful and mighty beast. And it runs much smoother on old hardware than gnome or unity.
like two years ago. i observed the memory usage (plasma desktop) close to 1.1 gb (with no app running) so i moved over to mate but i will switch to xfce soon, just for the change and no doubt kde plasma is beautiful, like pantheon more.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Weeeeeeeellll...
I have used plasma mobile on rhe 3rd of my nexus 5s
And it has 2gb of ram...
And it just isn't enough ...
The beautiful bloodsucking vampiric plasma...
Wants more...I swear...

Hahaha...
Vampiric...
Plasma...
Halloween joke right there !
nexus 5 is one he*l of a device. it supports most of the custom rom out there u name it lune os, lineage. and now it will run maem*-7, lucky u.

Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
like two years ago. i observed the memory usage (plasma desktop) close to 1.1 gb (with no app running) so i moved over to mate but i will switch to xfce soon, just for the change and no doubt kde plasma is beautiful, like pantheon more.
Running here latest kde neon on my notebook: 530 MB memory usage with no apps running, but some small widgets...
I wouldn't call this a resource hog

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Void with Plasma: 385 MB with Bluetooth and everything. Just avoid kdepim like the plague. So yes, it's possible to use it and not to fill all of your memory.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I don't think avoiding parts of Plasma is necessary. I'm running the whole beast including wobbling windows, pim, baloo and widgets.
150 MB for pim isn't that a bad deal

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
installing xfce, kde5 desktop, uninstalling mate......... couldnot run plasma but xfce is running....... memory usage is 597 mb without any apps. xfce is not responsive as it should be. i am thinking of downloading two separate minimal isos of xfce and plasma and try out. (kdepim - no idea what that is).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
What kdepim is? bloatware
It's a mail-calendar-contacts-suite. Nothing Thunderbird couldn't do.
But the important point is that Plasma doesn't have to be a ressource hog so it may be a good choice even for underpowered laptops. Especially since it doesn't need systemd.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Veraendert View Post
What kdepim is? bloatware
It's a mail-calendar-contacts-suite. Nothing Thunderbird couldn't do.
But the important point is that Plasma doesn't have to be a ressource hog so it may be a good choice even for underpowered laptops. Especially since it doesn't need systemd.
thanks for the info, i am gearing myself for xfce adventure so no kde for now, kde is in my to-do list and i will avoid pim. i remember installing full blown iso thats why less ram, duh and kudos to pclos and this community i am already running a system without systemd.
its good that i eat almonds, good for your brain, thats why i am starting to remember stuff

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Sorry for oot, but mi mix first gen is still the best for me, big battery, 3,5mm jack, i wish i can install meego inside there...what a perfect full screen experience, the greatest mi mix series ever

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:

Tags
'smarvelous, 'swonderful, latest, not greatest