Active Topics

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
In addition, if I try to create a secondary account, when I click on Finish, it states that it is unable to save my settings.

I've been wiithout Modest for 3 days now.

Somebody please help.

Also, if I run this script to have 1 minute notifications

gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/modest/accounts/AccountID/enabled True
gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/modest/update_interval 1
gconftool-2 --type boolean --set /apps/modest/auto_update True
/usr/bin/modest

I suddenly get the error Unable to select server inbox. Restart application and try again.

Any ideas on what to do?

I still get the same problems as you do, Addison. It seems to be only with gmail, and like you I tried re-setting up Gmail account and it wouldn't let me save it. I think it's because I had my old one still, and perhaps it saw the same imap and smtp address -- but I created a new 'Gmail2' account (which saved just fine) and that one still did not connect at all.

But just two days ago I set up Modest to work with IMAP just fine for my work account. It connects, downloads, sends -- everything.

I wonder if it's something with gmail or some certificate like you show? I have been using the secure gmail connection (https) for a few years now and can't imagine that is what's causing the problem.

I will search around and see if I can completely uninstall all Modest settings and see if that makes a difference.

I might try seeing if POP works for gmail, which I haven't tried in a while (just IMAP).

I had been using Claws Mail lately, but I really like the simple, non-bloated feel of Modest.

The Following User Says Thank You to murphycc For This Useful Post:
Heya Murphy.

I got it back to working again.

Here is what happened in my case and maybe you have the same situation.

I took out the external memory card and loaded it up on my Windows computer.

From there I did, EDIT, SELECT ALL, so that every file on my card was highlighted, then right clicked on them and viewed the PROPERTIES.

There was a box that said ARCHIVE and it was checked.

I unchecked it, applied to all of the files, and after a few minutes, I double checked and that ARCHIVE box was cleared.

Everything works like it used to now and I'm so happy to have back one minute message notifications.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the idea, Addison, but it didn't work for me.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's a permissions issue. I did set up a POP gmail account, and that one worked. The IMAP one does not (I just re-checked the settings listed on gmail to make sure they were right).

So then I did a ping to imap.gmail.com, and it responded correctly, but it surprised me that I needed to type 'sudo' to get ping working correctly. Shouldn't ping be available to 'user'?

I then was trying to fire up modest from command line from 'user' or 'root', but it does not fire up from the command line (in osso_xterm) -- which I would expect it would.

Maybe all this is normal.

I sometimes ssh onto my n810, which necessitates being user 'root', and maybe I screwed up some permission at one time that modest needs. Maybe it can't delete some file related to gmail that it wants to when I re-set it up.

-Chris

For me, I guess it was the permissions to my external memory card where a .modest folder likes to hang out at.

My card gets goofy on occasion with everything I keep downloading onto it.

Especially if it's an incomplete file.

Imap does fully work still by default though.

I have no idea why Pop only works for you.

I wish I could be of better help to you.

For the heck of it, I re-flashed my n810 and Modest Mail still does not work with Gmail IMAP (Claws does).

Addison -- would you mind checking your 'Certificate Manager' under control panel and see if you have a Google certificate?

When I first set up a Gmail IMAP account, it asks to accept a certificate; when I view it, the signature field says 'BAD'. My date/time are correct on the n810, which I know can be a problem sometimes.

But if you are able to check, please let me know on that certificate.

Under User all I see is (no certificates).

And checking Authorities I'm not seeing anything that looks like it comes from Google.

Sorry.

If you completely reflashed it seems like there is something wrong with your external memory card.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I had similar problems with google sites on an older windows box not that long ago. Apparently google has changed something in their license signature.

You may have to grab the license file and manually import it. I know how do do this for the N900, but not for the N8*0 series. There may be info in the wiki for that though?

Thanks for the ideas...

I am currently also trying to debug this by using debug mode in Modest:

Code:
export "CAMEL_DEBUG"="all"
/usr/bin/maemo-summoner /usr/bin/modest.launch showui
I see some suspicious responses from the gmail IMAP server so am looking into them.

Tags
modest, nokia n810