Hello people, I have had this N810 for many years and basicly just use it for emails and a little web sufting. I am not tech oriented at all and have never modified anything or processes. Might have had it for over 5 yrs,..not sure. Never had any difficulty with it. Now out of the blue...email just will not work. surfing web still working... Maps of course never worked or GPS but I just said nuts to that.'

So now the crisis is that email... my primary usage is spinning its wheels. It says it has 610 messages but there is nothing in it??
My real email account is still active and working properly. It is the N810 that has gone squrrilly. I have spent months clicking around the web trying to figure out how to reload a virgin copy of the operating system and N810 features but I cannot figure out how or what to do??? Or is it possible or do I now have a paperweight!!!!

So I found this web site... Is it possible to reload this tablet????
Any instructions anywhere????? Right now it is a paperweight.
vr
Buffalo

The Following User Says Thank You to buffalo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
What email are you using?

Is it the default one that comes with the tablet?

See if there is a file called .modest on your internal or external memory card.

You might want to delete that and have the app make a new one for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Hello,
Email just quit, Unable to receive anything. My WEB email still working fine. Either someone help me re-load email application or I suppose a whole new O/S. I have spent days on web looking for guidance. Saw one very old Ytube... but worthless.. all noisy music and blurred screen...
New battery... web works. Did not drop and toss this in water. Email just not working but opens up.
So....what I have found on this web site so far makes ZERO sense.... Some assistance or guidance is appreciated. Old unit but so far given good service.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
What email are you using?

Addison
Is it the default one that comes with the tablet?
....i am using what came on the tablet..nothing i loaded....

See if there is a file called .modest on your internal or external memory card.
...i am not sure how to find it but on my file manager all that is there is //internal memory// map and tmp folders... neither has a file called [modest]??

... Also I notice now when I try to open a .pdf item which normally opened screen says not enough memory??? yet nothing else is open??...

...so maybe other question too is how to flush out memory?..
.. turning unit on and off does not work??...

You might want to delete that and have the app make a new one for you.
...unable to find that file in the N810 file manager...?
Buffalo

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Use the following file manager instead and check again please.

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...hinook.all.deb

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Use the following file manager instead and check again please.

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...hinook.all.deb
Addison,
Well, using my XP desktop... clicking on the URL I get a "security expired thing" then I clic OK to go further.. then gets me a "page not found"
I tried it on my n810 and then a page does come up but what am I looking for??? I do not want to load a development platform? The cryptic lines of code on those pages are meaningless?

For the moment let us assume the memory needs to be flushed out in the N810..... I removed the battery and that did not work.
I can find absolutely nothing in the File mgr to empty out memory.

With XP is something this drastic happened I would just reload the whole operating system and features.

Where is a down load I could push into this stupid thing? What is the c prompt?

Since people write new stuff for N810... there must be a new clean operating system web site some place? I hate to toss out a perfectly good tablet because of a corrupted operating system?

So...do you have any other suggestions????
stil

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Buffalo, my first suggestion is to please remain calm.

There is plenty of information to be found here at the maemo.org website, but it may take some digging to find exactly what you want.

The first impulse that people here will have is that they will want to fix the underlying problem on your tablet; after all, these devices are very open, and so it is very easy (at least for those with a little experience) to find the root cause of the problem and deal with it.

However, you can also find information here on how to reset your device to factory settings. In particular, this wiki has a great deal of info on how to do it:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware

However, please note that Nokia no longer supports these internet tablets. Therefore, it takes even more digging to find the appropriate files to flash. (I'm not entirely certain myself where the best place is to find them right now.)

In any case, please stop spamming the forum with dozens of messages...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
flash n810, nokia n810