Closed Thread
A lot of talk since the first post, but I don't still see any
good reason that Nokia should be given that easy exit from maemo.org, as they apparently seem to plan. Most of the N9s are still a good while
under the warranty, probably until the end of 2013 in
countries with a 2 year warranty period, depending on the date of purchase. Obviously Nokia has to cut their costs right now to survive, but first of all it is not maemo.org that manouvered them
into this situation and secondly with a warranty they also commit themselves to maintain the services that the people expect from this kind of devices to be fully functional during its lifetime. That includes also things like SDKs, app store and a place for users to collaborate.

The Following User Says Thank You to vilva For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Nu1st Street, Iron Triange, Richmond, CA
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
IMHO a relocation should get the infrastructure and stuff to a place that is not dependent on Nokia. Given Nokia's rapid decline, I don't have much faith in servers dependent on Nokia in any way.
It is all happening very quickly now, isn't it?
@martycollinsesq

Originally Posted by vilva View Post
A lot of talk since the first post, but I don't still see any
good reason that Nokia should be given that easy exit from maemo.org, as they apparently seem to plan. Most of the N9s are still a good while
under the warranty, probably until the end of 2013 in
countries with a 2 year warranty period, depending on the date of purchase. Obviously Nokia has to cut their costs right now to survive, but first of all it is not maemo.org that manouvered them
into this situation and secondly with a warranty they also commit themselves to maintain the services that the people expect from this kind of devices to be fully functional during its lifetime. That includes also things like SDKs, app store and a place for users to collaborate.
No it doesn't. You can only expect to get a new device with similar functionality / similar price.

Originally Posted by vilva View Post
...secondly with a warranty they also commit themselves to maintain the services that the people expect from this kind of devices to be fully functional during its lifetime. That includes also things like SDKs, app store and a place for users to collaborate.
I fear that is very much open to interpretation. There are a lot of examples where the online services and the product were discontinued very early on (Microsoft Kin for example, but also a lot of online games for PC and consoles like Dreamcast)

Besides if a big company like Nokia just happens to disagree, ultimately the customer will get screwed. Sure, you could take it to a consumer authority or even a court, but that will take ages compared to the lifespan of the average mobile phone. And what will it get you? Your money back? A Lumia in exchange? That isn't what I want, I want those services operational for at least two more years (Approximately the time I intend to keep using my relatively new N9 as my primary mobile).

Luckily shutting down these services also isn't in the interest of Nokia, since it would make a group of happy N9 and N900 customers very angry (and probably cause them to not buy a Nokia phone again).

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
I fear that is very much open to interpretation. There are a lot of examples where the online services and the product were discontinued very early on (Microsoft Kin for example, but also a lot of online games for PC and consoles like Dreamcast)

Besides if a big company like Nokia just happens to disagree, ultimately the customer will get screwed. Sure, you could take it to a consumer authority or even a court, but that will take ages compared to the lifespan of the average mobile phone. And what will it get you? Your money back? A Lumia in exchange? That isn't what I want, I want those services operational for at least two more years (Approximately the time I intend to keep using my relatively new N9 as my primary mobile).

Luckily shutting down these services also isn't in the interest of Nokia, since it would make a group of happy N9 and N900 customers very angry (and probably cause them to not buy a Nokia phone again).
N900 & N9 customers are, despite the sales figures of later a small minority
far less then N8 buyers
Maemo / MeeGo were always research platform(s), not commercial devices.
thus frustrated users from that (relatively) small group is alas not a big concern.
much more of interest is the potential for R&D.
m$ platform is totally useless for that, thus a platform NOKIA has full control over (like Maemo) does make sense.
alas, common sense doesn't seem to be management's primary concern now, does it?

Somewhat off topic but then again not. A what if scenario about half way into the podcast. What if Nokia sticked to Maego/Symbian/Meltemi

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/media...roundup_an.php

If Nokia is removing funding and project needs to move to a new community run home, can we secure some kind of parting gift. Source code to as many remaining elements as is possible would be great.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I've seen 6 months from now being pulled out.

I thought that was already known? Nothing new. What needs to be addressed is what will happen after that date and what are the next moves in a more definitive manner.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
That's absolute rubbish. Not one word of it is true. You owe Quim one hell of an apology.

Why are you here again?
You got.....
http://trololololololololololo.com/

Don't feed him, he'll go back under his bridge eventually, once he's worked himself into a lather of disgust with TMO/FMC again
It was funny following him in the epic N9 anticipation thread, good entertainment value I must admit, I do hope he sticks around longer this time.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

I thought that was already known? Nothing new. What needs to be addressed is what will happen after that date and what are the next moves in a more definitive manner.
Just in case you haven't bothered reading the entire thing (don't blame you with all the noise).
It's put best around the end of pg 3 for and start of Pg 8 IIRC, plus this latest update from qgil.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-06-19 at 10:02. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

I thought that was already known? Nothing new.
What we knew previously was that funding was in place until the end of the year and very likely to be renewed (decision to be made sometime during the summer). The funding for 2012 is still in place, but likelihood of renewal has been reversed now.

Closed Thread

Tags
citation needed