Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Jeffrey04 View Post
still there's no cheap and easy way to do multitouch on resisitive touch screen afaik. Would take a multitouch capable screen over a non-multitouch capable screen. Also modern UI also are more forgiving and is designed such that absolute precision tapping is not required, which is a good thing in general IMHO. Having to use a sharp stylus to tap a tiny target is a torture.
It is possible to detect two simultaneous touches on resistive touchscreen, as Neo900 shows: http://cache.freescale.com/files/32b.../CRTOUCHDS.pdf from http://neo900.org/stuff/block-diagra...00/neo900.html . It is sufficient for "usual" multi-touch gestures, such as zoom in and zoom out, though I have to point out that MicroB supports "old-fashioned" single-touch gestures.

I prefer having precision tapping available, even if it is not required. And having dual capacitive+resistive touchscreen could be a fun experiment - thought it would lack anti-scratch ability of a usual capacitive touchscreen.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
That doesn't mean the screens themselves can't recognise precise touches, it's the software behind the screens that's optimised for an entirely different use case.
Who cares? What does it matter which part of the chain is responsible? The only thing that matters is the result. And the result is that you cannot use a "modern" touch screen for anything requiring precision.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
The only this I would change for fx if it was no problem is probably, smaller screen/device size, Wacom level type of pen input and I guess a radio transmitter.

I do think there is a change that another device will hit the market if fx is successful. I also remember that Chen mention that the cost of including a pen would make the cost more than small niche market would pay for.

Here is something I created a long while ago.

x
Attached Images

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Who cares? What does it matter which part of the chain is responsible? The only thing that matters is the result. And the result is that you cannot use a "modern" touch screen for anything requiring precision.
It simply isn't true. The screens don't forbid it, the drivers / the operating systems do. Get someone to write a good driver that supports precision touching on capacitive screens, and it'll work just like its resistive counterpart. The problem is not the screen technology, but the fact that all mobile operating systems are designed to be used with fat fingers.

Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
multi touch is mostly needed for games and other kids stuff. zooming in and out is more comfy with volume buttons, or any other single-touch gestures. having a physical keyboard means that you can play any games without even touching the screen. sooo FxTec Pro1 might even come with resistive and presice touch screen, supporting _any_ object as stylus. buuuuuut everyone would squeal like pigs about it being soooo old and non-modern regardless it's properties so it's impossible.
That's a complete strawman and you know it.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I have got my coder friend interested of N900. Last weekend let him play with my device. I showed him the application manager and boasted how many apps there are and said just scroll. He tried to scroll with a finger. Selected the app with every touch and no scrolling. I said try with a stylus. Same thing. I have struggled with the same problem. Didin't impress him. Some things are definately matter of how things have been coded with touch screens.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
All these discussions about resistive vs capacitive are lovely and interesting (and I did like using my N900's screen back then), but it's all moot when it comes to the Pro1.

For it to succeed, it needed to cater to a wider market (hello Crapdroid) and be affordable(ish).
That last part implied using parts that are easy to find in big quantities, which means lower prices (it also makes it easier to find replacement parts).
I can't say I know the market of mobile phone screens (spoiler alert: I don't), but from what I gathered, the N900 was one of few exceptions, and capacitive screens are now just about everywhere.

So as much as I like the idea of having the option to get a resistive screen on the Pro1, it's not going to happen.
Maybe we can discuss it for the Pro² (or whatever the name might be), if the Pro1 is successful, but for now: baby steps.

zooming in and out is more comfy with volume buttons
Considering finger-zooming usually happens between your fingers, I don't see that doable with just buttons, or you'd just be zooming on something/place/position you can't control.

Last edited by British; 2019-03-27 at 11:51.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
It simply isn't true. The screens don't forbid it, the drivers / the operating systems do. Get someone to write a good driver that supports precision touching on capacitive screens, and it'll work just like its resistive counterpart. The problem is not the screen technology, but the fact that all mobile operating systems are designed to be used with fat fingers.
I'm pretty sure it is just the OS that does fuzzing the touchpoint and matching it to the closest UI element and not the driver.
Consider N9 with evtap, which I'm pretty familiar with it gives you very accurate position info, down to single pixel resolution.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
ever tried to give it more pressure?

it's not gorilla glass so you won't break it if pushing harder then gentle touch. try using resistive screen properly.
Something even I stumble upon after having used my Jolla for some time without touching the N900!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Not sure if sufficient hardware will be included on fx but would be amazing if one could get spen or some other stylus to work like this. Maybe it's not the just the pressure but angle you hold pen to screen like calligraphy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aQM7Bw-vOUw

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
It is possible to detect two simultaneous touches on resistive touchscreen, as Neo900 shows: http://cache.freescale.com/files/32b.../CRTOUCHDS.pdf from http://neo900.org/stuff/block-diagra...00/neo900.html . It is sufficient for "usual" multi-touch gestures, such as zoom in and zoom out, though I have to point out that MicroB supports "old-fashioned" single-touch gestures.

I prefer having precision tapping available, even if it is not required. And having dual capacitive+resistive touchscreen could be a fun experiment - thought it would lack anti-scratch ability of a usual capacitive touchscreen.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...
You should go try playing with a galaxy note phone, they are equipped with wacom's digitizer that not only give u precision tapping, also pressure sensor.

EDIT: resisitive or not, it is just a way to enable precision tapping. While resisitive screen may be able to achieve this easily, however, for the general public, a capacity screen that allows multitouch easily, and HCI guidelines that are specially designed to tackle imprecise finger tapping is prolly much more appreciated (or expected by users of modern smartphones). Also I remembered reading the designer purposefully pick components that are common, in order to drive down the building cost, which lowers the sales price. F(x)tec Pro 1 is currently not really priced that low (it is priced similarly to my Pixel 3 that I bought during the promotional period, and Pro 1 is on 2 years old SoC), I can only imagine how much more it would cost in order to be built with all the niche components just to please a small crowd.

Last edited by Jeffrey04; 2019-03-28 at 09:43.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey04 For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit