Hello, first attempt at an application, this is a quick and easy live train times for UK based trains. It uses an API provided by the NationalRail service.

Currently its still an alpha, it shows no indepth train information, just shows the live train boards whether arriving or departing and can store favourited train stations and shows the departure boards for them.

I'd like to say thanks to coderus, lukedirtwalker and SfietKonstantinW, they helped me out immensely on #sailfishos and if it wasn't for them I would of probably got stuck and never moved off again. Also thanks to Markkyboy for the logo, it looks great

till i get this into openrepos and harbour heres an rpm for testing

Well am on OpenRepos now and hopefully the Jolla store

and sources

https://github.com/m4r0v3r/harbour-nationalrail

I'll probably need a new icon for it soon(the icon bit is no longer true), but currently its mostly for testing, although everyday use should work fine.

known issues:
  • the Station names sometimes overlap the platform
  • Only on my Jolla running 1.1.6 the favorites icon does not change, yet the favourite action is performed. Is this just me?

changelog:

release 2:
  • added option for arrival or departure to favourites page

release 3:
  • added simply better icon, thank you Markkyboy for providing it
  • attempted to add busyindicator to address the freeze issue, no luck, edit: a cheeky timer seems to of fixed the issue

release 4:
  • Station Messages are now available to view in the pulley menu when viewing a stations live times.

release 5:
  • the apps in openrepos(yay)
  • Added JourneyDetails
  • Fixed an issue with the favourites not correctly highlighting (thanks kimmoli)

upcoming features(i hope):
  • Cover page that reflects timetables for quick view
  • Settings page to control how often cover page refreshes data

Last edited by m4r0v3r; 2015-06-18 at 21:17.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
You got my hopes up there I thought this was for Maemo....
Thanks anyway, nice to see some UK transport applications on here.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Posts: 433 | Thanked: 727 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Costa Blanca, Espaņa
Nice start m4r0v3r!

After a quick play with your app, I can say I'm quite happy with its simplicity, although when you search arrivals or departures, the pulley menu appears to hang while it's searching.

I also took the liberty of making a Sailfish style icon using the original National Rail icon you used, it's very basic though. (is it permissible to use their original icon and alter it?). I've uploaded it to dropbox; https://www.dropbox.com/s/bpxnb9hyxm...lrail.png?dl=0

I look forward to seeing your app on Jolla Store and/or Openrepos.

Regards,

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Markkyboy For This Useful Post:
cheers for the icon, i emailed and asked but no reply, ill stick it in when i get home, maybe ill port it to maemo, hmm it shouldn't hang ill take a look

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
You got my hopes up there I thought this was for Maemo....
Thanks anyway, nice to see some UK transport applications on here.
If you use the technique in section 5 of the wikilink in my sig you can search trainimes.org.uk by typing "tt station1 station2" in location bar.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
hmm some sort of progress indicator would be good after searching,

also would a user want to be able to control the number of results? because currently it just shows the max number which is 30. but it can be anywhere from 10-30

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
I really like new apps, but how is the app different from Fahrplan which could use this data too?

Originally Posted by Thaodan View Post
I really like new apps, but how is the app different from Fahrplan which could use this data too?
This is for the trains in the United Kingdom

Posts: 433 | Thanked: 727 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Costa Blanca, Espaņa
Good question, not sure really;10, 20, 30,..... doesn't matter to me personally, as I work from home generally. Occasionally I need to get somewhere without turning up all sweaty and looking like a madman, so I'll take the train. I would only ever be checking the train times and then getting that train., so need need to have reams of data to manage.

think ill add it to a settings page somewhere