Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
GDP MicroPC now comes with 8gb of ram.
While I highly appreciate that 2nd half of your sentence, I'm longing for the day, where you only post the 1st part!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Please, who has ever heard of a failure to deliver? On this site? Practically unheard of.

Alas, my situation, as a person who preordered this, prevents me from thinking the unthinkable... until it becomes a reality, that is...

But I can keep you posted when GDP MicroPC comes with 16gb of ram

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
I got a GPD Micro PC for Christmas. It runs Linux very well. There's an Ubuntu-Mate ISO image on the GPD website that has all the bugs worked out, so you don't have to go on a device driver treasure hunt. Suspend works when you close the lid, etc. All very easy and smooth. I think this may be the best handheld gnu/Linux at the moment; I've given up on the Pyra.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
For those who consider chroot is enough for their needs, the F(x)tec Proš also is a fantastic handheld and pocket device *with* telephony capability. So far it can only run full-fledged Linux distributions using chroot (namely sailfish_ubu_chroot by elros34), but it works fantastically well.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
For those who consider chroot is enough for their needs, the F(x)tec Proš also is a fantastic handheld and pocket device *with* telephony capability. [/URL].
You're right - that is beautiful, and far more pocketable than the GPD Micro PC. It's an updated N950, and the N950 had a wonderful feel to it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
You're right - that is beautiful, and far more pocketable than the GPD Micro PC. It's an updated N950, and the N950 had a wonderful feel to it.
And you are so right, too!
The N950 was pocketable and the best linux device since (almost) a decade ago.
Unluckily we had to wait that long until the Pro1 which is not as pocketable as a N950 but due to screen size maximus plebis has a (just) too big screen (for my feeling). I am eagerly waiting for a just a bit smaller one. That would be my daily dream linux device.

--edit
And good to see/read you on track,
and still a (silent) member!
I miss orrery on my main SFOS device

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2019-12-31 at 16:48.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 580 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Belgium
+1 for the Pro1. Even though not exactly officially like what's meant by a "gnu/linux machine" I have all my CLI linux things going in Android with Termux (and there are more and perhaps better possibilities). To me it's the ultimate handheld computer thing, couldn't be happier with it :-).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to netman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I miss Orrery too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
I've given up on the Pyra.
As far as I read about it the Pyra finally started shipping this month.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sailor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
As far as I read about it the Pyra finally started shipping this month.
Well, only the prototypes. This article points out that there are still significant hardware problems: https://liliputing.com/2019/12/drago...-computer.html .

Sadly, I think the Pyra and neo900 show that one or two guys working in their spare time just can't make a handheld computer in the current environment. Even if the hardware issues get ironed out and the Pyra actually ships production units, how big a community is apt to form around a device with an old 32 bit CPU first released in 2012? I know the Pyra CPU is theoretically upgradable, but I doubt any upgrade boards will ever appear. I wish small projects like these could succeed - I pre-ordered both the neo900 and the Pyra - but they mostly haven't.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:

Tags
computer, linux