Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Sorry to tell you, but you wrong.
Come on, even with your rose tinted Lumia glasses even you surely don't think the routing algorithm would be different on Lumia nokia maps than an up to date N9 or 808?

A friend of mine has a Lumia so asked him to test a route for me I know Nokia Maps picks poorly, sure enough, same shocking route as Nokia Maps on the E7, N9 and 808 choose....

Here is Sygic choosing the correct route, same as google maps and TomTom would pick...

And Nokia maps(on Lumia) with it's added 20+ minutes detour...

Sadly this type of extended routing is commonplace with Nokia Maps. I'm a fan of the interface, and the live traffic updates on the Symbian version are really useful, but the poor routing means I have to stick with my old E7 with Sygic GPS for my sat nav duties. Only reason I still have two phones instead of just the 808.

Last edited by Tetlee; 2012-11-05 at 17:33.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tetlee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danested View Post
@Jordi Thats the problem, it routes me well most of the time, but it goes haywire sometimes like completely nutsy...
Do you mean that the same routing is sometimes done correctly and sometimes not? Or that sometimes the route is non-optimal for some arbitrary route? If the first one, then it sounds like a bug in the routing algorithms. If the latter, it sounds like faulty or missing data in the database.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
so..your Drive is in offline mode or online mode?
Always online. Data gallore. N9 sucks big time. Lumia 800...beautiful

Just done a quick test (not scientific or rigorous), using N900. The route produced by Bing is identical to the "optimised" route found by Ovi/Nokia maps, which isn't actually that optimised at all. On the other hand, Google directions are both quite different and more useful. Interesting.

Last edited by demolition; 2012-11-06 at 00:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
So does that lead to the conclusion that Bing uses Nokia Maps database and routing algorithms?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Always online. Data gallore. N9 sucks big time. Lumia 800...beautiful
If they are in online mode both devices use same database and same routing algorithms. I find it odd that one would be beautiful and other would suck

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
I agree with Tetlee on Sygic being better at times...

On my SGS2 Sygic at times comes up with a better route than Nokia Drive on my n9...Both use Navteq's maps but its the algorithms that Nokia uses that somehow are poorer...The situation is better since the past 4 months; previously Nokia Drive would make my 5 minute journey via the "small roads" a long 15mins one using main roads...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post: