There's one silly thing that stumps me : how does one find out the address of the nameserver returned by DHCP after a successful Wifi connection ? This is needed as first parameter to iodine on the client side, and to set up routing afterwards. But /etc/resolv.conf always says "127.0.0.1"...

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
There's one silly thing that stumps me : how does one find out the address of the nameserver returned by DHCP after a successful Wifi connection ?
The file /tmp/resolv.conf.wlan0 contains the address of the nameserver(s).

Thanks a lot ! And when connecting through BT+phone, the file name ends in ppp0. Good to know...

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Originally Posted by buchinho View Post
Now iodine should run
Now iodine runs but doesn't do anything. What you should do is make sure that:
1. you have your DNS properly configured. Most examples want you to create a subdomain with iodine as the nameserver for that subdomain.
2. you have iodined properly running. I use
Code:
iodined -P password tunnel_endpoint_IP subdomain
. When you start, make sure you use -f(oreground) as well.
3. start your iodine client. I use
Code:
iodine -P samepassword original_DNS subdomain
4. when your client connects properly, adjust the default gateway to point to your tunnel endpoint.

This is my progress so far. I think i'm almost there. I haven't figured out the proper syntax to change the default gateway from the command-line on the N800. Once i know that i will test from a public hotspot to see if it works.

Originally Posted by buchinho View Post
I couldn't get the test to run. Maybe somebody could check it out:
If you want me to try your tunnel, send me the details in a PM.

Ton.

On my side I think I mostly have everything set up, on the client, server and router. What I'm missing is the subdomain pointing to the server, because my DNS is hosted by the domain registrar, and the declaration syntax in the Howto isn't allowed though their web interface.

I've posted a question in their support forum, but if anyone here knows how to do this with Gandi, I'm all ears :-)

Well, I have my answer already, and it's not good : it seems this is not possible at all, by their rules, save for moving the DNS for the entire domain to somewhere else where it's allowed. Sounds like a lot of bother just to test this little gadget.

If I can't find someone who'll delegate a subdomain of theirs to my server, I guess I'm stuck :-(

@fpp: Why not use dyndns?

if you are finished please add the needed steps to my howto!

thanks

Last edited by buchinho; 2007-08-11 at 19:45.

I just took a look at their web site, but I don't understand how dyndns could help me. I have a fixed IP address at home, so I don't need their dynamic update feature, and it seems they do all name resolutions themselves, as sound logical. If they allow delegations of subdomains to other name servers, which is what we need here, I haven't found where...

http://www.thefreecountry.com/webmaster/freedns.shtml

I don't understand why you need a domain name and don't just use the ip if you have a static ip.

Because, as I undestand it, that's the way iodine (and the others) work :-)

I may be mistaken, but I don't think they would tell you to do this (which is probably the less trivial part for most people) if it wasn't really necessary...