Posts: 78 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ England
I bought my n800 about 2 months ago and it was the best £150 I have ever spent. But a month ago one of the stylus started to scratch the screen very badly so I started using the spare one. Now the same has started happening on the spare one, after looking at them the damage on the tips it is identical for both. I think the tip is scraping when it is in the stylus holder.
What are my options to fix this?
Can I just get a new screen protector and put up with it?
Get a new stylus (I can’t find any for sale anywhere)?
Fix the scraping in the holder?
All of the above?

Your help will be much appreciated as I am using my ds stylus.

I think ive got the same problem scratches are appearing for no apparent reason, does anybody know if theres a way to remove light scratches?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Have you removed the original screen protector that comes with the device? If you haven't, it's possible that you are seeing scratches on it rather than on the device.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
If the scratches are on the screen and not (as geneven suggested) on the factory applied plastic, a true screen protector often does miracles in hiding blemishes on the screen.

I strongly advize against any "chemical" solutions out there (pastes, oils, whatnot) as they essentially sand your screen down. This is not a good idea when your screen is a touchscreen, as there are oh so many ways this can go tits up.

More so, if the touchscreen doesn't have a top (antiglare) layer, the odds of success are stacked against you. With Newtons e.g. it was possible to sand down scratches with furniture polish by essentially removing the entire top layer, which served as antiglare and tactile texture; I don't think the nits have such a layer.

the scratchs are on the original screen protector that came with the n800
so are you sugesting that i get a new screen protector and put up with the scratching?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by MicroChip123 View Post
the scratchs are on the original screen protector that came with the n800
so are you sugesting that i get a new screen protector and put up with the scratching?
I've had a protector on my N800 practically since the day I bought the tablet in early 2007. It's still the original protector and there's not a scratch on it. Granted, I'm probably slightly more anal about the screens of my gadgets than the typical user, but still... I'd call that a pretty good record for protectorkind.

The "protector" that came with your tablet, isn't. It's just there to protect the screen in transit, it was never intended to be "used", so to speak. At best, it will be usable (for various values of "usable") for a couple of months of light use.

I have permanent scratches on my real screen, which I am sorry about, when I remember to be. They really aren't that bad. But I wish I had gotten a real screen protector. Now it's too late.

Screen protectors seem to have varying degrees of usability and ease of application, so you might search for information on which are recommended. I remember seeing threads on that subject.

By the way: It is really difficult to scratch the real screen, and I think that real screen protectors are also difficult to scratch. I had to go the limit to scratch my screen. I think it involved dripping some honey-like foodstuff on it, which I quickly wiped off, but which bonded with my much-worn lower right secton of the screen.

Last edited by geneven; 2008-08-13 at 22:52.

thanks for your help
but i still have 2 stylues that the tips are damaged and they are scratching the screen
(i am using my ds one but it does not go in the side holder)
can you buy them anywhere in uk?

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
fives months of moderate usage and the factory-fitted screen cover is now visibly marked, but if I turn the back-light off it's not too bad. I'm about to buy a proper screen protector for it.
I've always fitted SPs to my handhelds - palms, zauruses etc. they're a silly price for just a sheet of sticky-backed plastic, but you'll kick yourself if you don't fit one. Wife has a palm tx and didn't bother, and she's got a nasty biro mark in the middle of her screen now. sigh.

MicroChip:

Have you read Moby Dick? That's what searching for a stylus replacement is like -- only a few tablet users have gotten them, and they are now walking with peg legs.

If I were you I would forget thinking that you have a stylus problem -- your stylus is succeeding in scratching cellophane, basically. Just get a real protector and then complain if the stylus is scratching it; it shouldn't.