Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I didn't get my weekly email about this thread because of it's (now) crazy title.
Can we please tone the thread title down a bit please Dave/mods?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Just ran the app manager / updates check on my Philippines 64GB Black. PR 1.3 is now there for OTA.

Last edited by gawga_boy; 2012-07-09 at 13:11.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Philippines
Yep, Philippines is finally getting PR1.3. Southeast Asia is probably the last region to get it. Updating now... :-)

Originally Posted by hunter012 View Post
Can I backup my applications with Nokia Suite, then load new PR1.3 with Nokia Suite, then restore (from backup) the applications?
I see a lot of posts about waiting for OTA to avoid losing apps and stuff, but I can't see why a backup/restore of data/applications would not solve that issue
NS doesn't have that ability, it's still beta for the N9, it may come it may never, follow the N9 NS thread at betalabs.
Most personal data is retained if you flash or update via NS/NSU, except apps & some settings.
Nokia Store client remembers the apps you've dloaded/paid for, so you can re-download them via it.
Sometimes free apps may have since become paid, in which case, bad luck I guess.
Follow this guide to flash if you don't want to wait for the OTA, especially if you've side-loaded or applied tweaks/hacks.
Updating via latest beta NS or NSU is another approach, I can't recall OTTOMH but I think it's more-or-less the same as a standard flash.
But IMO it's best just to do a flash, you don't know what weird stuff NS/NSU may be trying to do, it's not fully optimised for the N9 yet.

Originally Posted by Setok View Post
I don't think you can really make that comparison. Of the PRs, 1.1 was really what 1.0 should have been. 1.2 did bring new features —*fair enough. But 1.3 is a patch release with really no new features.
During my iPhone period we've received one major upgrade (iOS 4->5) and several patch releases. Another major upgrade coming soon. It's a different model, so I think it's difficult to claim N9 has been better supported. Particularly as no further major upgrades will be forthcoming and PR1.3 still has a bunch of pretty clear issues.
1.1 wasn't what 1.0 should've been, it added features in it's own right, more so than 1.3, but yes it was primarily a bug-fix release.
And I don't think it's fair to be making comparisons PERIOD....
These updates have been delivered by a team that's been downsized almost 100% now (90%+ last I checked) over the course of 17mth, most of that in the last 9mth.

Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
I still hope we may see some further improvements/optimisation to the battery perfomance at some point, as Lumia 800 users apparently did, it's about the only thing I'm not so happy with.
And PLENTY of L800 users are still very unhappy with performance.
No shortage of them out there complaining the improvements did squat for them.

Originally Posted by lifeintheblitz View Post
My power consumption seems to have stabilized. After a couple of days of normal usage, my idle power consumption with PR 1.3 is back at 8-10mA.
Originally Posted by Muzimak View Post
4th day with mine, nothing beats a combination of PR.1.3 + Drop Cache + Faster N9. Wish I could let others test my phone right now, Idle is standing on 8mA right, hasn't gone past 30 yet, wireless is on, Facebook set to available, Wazapp on, 3 emails set at 30min refresh, feeds @ 1 hour. Simply loving it.Attachment 27205
Good to see there's users whose battery perf. hasn't gotten worse in any meaningful way, same here.
You rarely do hear from people if things are working as they should, tis refreshing

Originally Posted by cevenn View Post
No way to read comments on store..
Has nothing to do with PR1.3, that's been a problem since before the update came out.
It's an issue with the store itself, which they haven't fixed for weeks now.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Talking about bluetooth, I thought the N9 had Bluetooth 4.0?
Never came See my Sig for the bug report, I was going to update it with much more detail, still haven't gotten round to it.
They were very close to implementing, but was one of those features they had to leave half-finished, because not enough time/resources.

Originally Posted by gcalcott View Post
<SNIP>Actually, quite a mess of a product and overall you can see why iOS is a better alternative. Still like it though
I wonder how much a of a mess iOS would've been in it's 1st year if it tried to add half as much functionality as Maemo 6x.
Whilst resources for the dev team were being downscaled massively at the same time.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Guys and girl. Elvis has just left the building. I just received the update.
Sensational!
Great, now can you please stop ****ing with the thread title, k tnx
Srsly, it's affecting email delivery of weekly subscriptions to the thread.

Originally Posted by accountvip View Post
Why PR1.2xxxxx_454 not received update?
Read this post, then you will learn several interesting facts:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...16#post1172316

Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post
Soundhound or Eyrie working similarly
Apparently the web-based version of soundhound (midomi?) works well in the browser.
Wouldn't know as I personally dont care about soundhound or similar apps.
Plus soundhound themselves keep saying they do want to release an app but can't say when.
But they've been saying that for waaay too long to be believable any more...

and some wifi-based remote control app for my home theater devices
Coulda sworn there's at least one app like that....

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-07-09 at 17:46.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Discover a bug already, no longer able to able to play certain mp4 file downloaded via flash players properly on video player. Play for about 10 seconds and it will pop up the message, you can't play this type of files on this devices, no idea why it does that as it played just fine previously on PR 1.2. I am getting annoyed by this real quick.

The Following User Says Thank You to kai_en For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kai_en View Post
Discover a bug already, no longer able to able to play certain mp4 file downloaded via flash players properly on video player. Play for about 10 seconds and it will pop up the message, you can't play this type of files on this devices, no idea why it does that as it played just fine previously on PR 1.2. I am getting annoyed by this real quick.
That has been reported as far back as 1.2, at least.
I've had it happen on 1.2, usually only intermittent...
Fixes/features & bugs/regressions are meant to go here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85234&page=29

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
That has been reported as far back as 1.2, at least.
I've had it happen on 1.2, usually only intermittent...
Fixes/features & bugs/regressions are meant to go here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85234&page=29
that's strange, the same clip seemed to work on my device back when I was using PR 1.2

"Country Variants" for nordic countries are now appearing on Navifirm.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Switzerland/Zurich
So finally I've been tired of waiting and flashed pr 1.3 to my phone. After spending hours to get back all my apps and playing with it for a day, my impressions are:

- it seems a little bit faster, although not as fast as pr 1.2 + fastern9 (example: try loading a webpage, swipe it away, go to your main screen / notification screen and try to move around - for my there was an unpleasant shuttering), installing faster n9 on pr 1.3 makes it better

- 3G/2G connectivity improved + webpages load faster

- Ovi store was much faster when downloading and installing apps

- contrary to what I've read before, when I move my icons/folders around I still to have confirm it with "done" rather then just tap wherever to finish

- the tendency of my screen to get "reddish" in bright daylight vanished (previously the "white balance" was normal in low/medium light conditions and when I got outside on a sunny day it seemed to try to increase it's brightness and it would turn really reddish - to clarify, I always set my screen to maximum brightness, but this only happened in bright sun) nope, my bad - this annoying thing is still there...

- haptic feedback of keyboards (both stock and swype) is improved, still stock seems more responsive than swype when typing

- it's harder to unintentionally "click" on your notification screen and be moved to facebook or sth - big +

Otherwise, everything seems business as usual.

Last edited by don.edri; 2012-07-12 at 12:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to don.edri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
So far I have been trough 3 cycles of charging/discharging my N9 since PR1.3 - I notice improvement in power consumption. All 3 times I got to 48 hours, without even PSM mode been engaged at 10% battery level. So phone probably will go over 55 hours autonomity.
This is with always on Wi-Fi/2G, 3xIMAP always up-to-date, 10-20 emails/daily(read+write), 20 SMS's (received+send), 1.0-1.5 hours of browsing/twitter daily.

Tags
bugfix-focused, dashed hopes, nokia fanbois, popcorn, pr1.3, pr1.3 party, troll alert