Active Topics

The Motorola Z with it's Moto Mods is an interesting expansion of Jolla and the Other Half. There is a Moto Mod Developer section where custom creating custom Moto Mods is encouraged. Perhaps a slide out keyboard would be easier with this? Or an e-ink screen? Has anyone considered this as a platform for tinkering? There is a raspberry pi interface also available.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Jolla had such an opportunity three years ago. They had the TOH concept. They had a promising new OS with a promising new UI. And they wasted it all. Jolla would go down the annals as the epitome of a bad business strategy - except they won't because their execution was so bad that no one has even registered them.

Good ideas tend to reappear. It does not mean someone has copied them. The eye was such a good idea that it has evolved independently at least 40 times. Some mathematical or scientific ideas and discoveries popped up in ancient times and were forgotten, only to be discovered again. No one copied them, they were truly discovered independently.

We might expect good ideas to pop up again in the future. The other half concept, the swipe interface... It does not mean that anyone copied Jolla. Most likely those who came up with them have never even heard about Jolla. Which is kinda sad. Jolla had a chance. They wasted it.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
The Motorola Z with it's Moto Mods is an interesting expansion of Jolla and the Other Half. There is a Moto Mod Developer section where custom creating custom Moto Mods is encouraged. Perhaps a slide out keyboard would be easier with this? Or an e-ink screen? Has anyone considered this as a platform for tinkering? There is a raspberry pi interface also available.
Sounds like a device made for SFOS!

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Jolla had such an opportunity three years ago. They had the TOH concept. They had a promising new OS with a promising new UI. And they wasted it all. Jolla would go down the annals as the epitome of a bad business strategy - except they won't because their execution was so bad that no one has even registered them.
They may have had the concept, but they lacked the technology.

The Jolla Phones i2c expansion is incredibly limited compared to the Project Ara Greybus expansion that these moto mods phones are using. That simply was not available three years ago, and certainly not on Jollas budget.

Maybe they could have handled a usb based expansion like Fairphone 2 did, but i'm sure they probably looked into that.

Quite simply, whilst its a nice idea, I don't think Jolla is the right company to be able to bring this to market, along with a whole new OS as well.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
I didn't mean to infer that Motorola copied Jolla. I just thought of all the people working hard to create custom TOH could perhaps find an easier way to do some hardware tinkering with Moto Mods. While many ideas might not have a large audience it might allow for easier development and prototyping. I can see a lot being possible. Hopefully they will license the technology to other device manufacturers so that it can get more support. That might be a better decision than trying to leverage it on their own.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I didn't mean to infer that Motorola copied Jolla.
Yes, I know. And sorry about my little tirade. I was not suggesting that you did, I was just generally bemoaning the current state of affairs.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Motorola is trying to capture the creative spirit with it's Moto Mods Challengel where you can get support and funding for your ideas. All those TOH ideas can be recycled again and become a product. So who wants to build a keyboard or e-ink display?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Some of the moto mod finalists have already launched their campaign. There are still more to come for the next few weeks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Motorola is trying to capture the creative spirit with it's Moto Mods Challengel where you can get support and funding for your ideas. All those TOH ideas can be recycled again and become a product. So who wants to build a keyboard or e-ink display?
Please wait for the Keyboard Mod that will have more information shared "later" (No Soon here)

Currently still working on the structure and concept verification.

What I can say is it will be in a industrial standard, not like the other most IGG mods project now.

Hopefully I can get some maemian support once more work is done.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post: