Active Topics

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by pali View Post
Me too, but without success. NITDroid kernel does not want to boot on my device from U-Boot
I have read on this forum and some months ago (not too many) that someone (at least two users) has created a u-boot initrd to boot Nitdroid successfully.

It was not completed detached from the usage of rootfs because Nitdroid still wants to load some firmwares from rootfs after booting process, but it was however a big step forward.
Unfortunately they haven't published their works but if I remember correctly their posts were on BackupMenu thread

EDIT:
They are not in the BackupMenu thread but in the Old U-Boot thread

Last edited by Fabry; 2012-01-16 at 23:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
check out e-yes twitter. He had a link from someon, I think crevetor with nitdroid loading with u-boot and a special kernel (I do not recall if it was some MeeGo one or something like this)

The Following User Says Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
I have read on this forum and some months ago (not too many) that someone (at least two users) has created a u-boot initrd to boot Nitdroid successfully.

It was not completed detached from the usage of rootfs because Nitdroid still wants to load some firmwares from rootfs after booting process, but it was however a big step forward.
Unfortunately they haven't published their works but if I remember correctly their posts were on BackupMenu thread
wifi and bluetooth firmware are now redistributable, see OBS, Meego and Nemo (Mer) system. In Meego OBS are both wl1251 and bcm non-free firmwares redistributable (but closed).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
ammyt (current NITdroid dev) is also trying to get it to work with u-boot, maybe worth getting in touch and get the brains together :

I will stop posting here for a while.

I am converting the whole multiboot NITDroid system to the new DAS Uboot utility, many advantages.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=3887

Note: seems that U-Boot does not support ext4 (tested: on 1 partition can only list files - not read it, on second see that partition is empty and on third hang up). ext2 is supported (and maybe ext3 too with forward compatibility).
Is it fixable in foreseeable future? Sounds like a showstopper for me

// Edit

Or, placing kernel on *very*small-ish dedicated ext2 partition on SD card would allow it to work, and won't cause any problems with ext4 /home/? As I understand it, u-boot just need supported filesystem to read kernel image from it, and later, it doesn't care about partition types, if kernel support them already?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
I tested and on my n900 with default busybox is no problem with command dd.

But if somebody else has problem, I can change that code.
During the second installation of u-boot-flasher, no errors were reported as during 1st time.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Or, placing kernel on *very*small-ish dedicated ext2 partition on SD card would allow it to work, and won't cause any problems with ext4 /home/? As I understand it, u-boot just need supported filesystem to read kernel image from it, and later, it doesn't care about partition types, if kernel support them already?
U-Boot needs only to load kernels, initrd-files and script-files (i.e. bootmenu.scr) from a FAT/EXT2 (or EXT3) partition.

The Pali's binary as default search on first eMMC partition, but it is easy to change behavior on sources and then recompile a binary which searches on other sources

Last edited by Fabry; 2012-01-16 at 23:05.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
some info not soo long ago in the other big u-boot thread :

Posted by Rob1n :http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=156
Originally Posted by mirakels View Post

my u-boot now allows to copy the initial atags and append cmdline and ramdisk images to it.
Nitdroid now comes up without panics, completely ignoring the maemo rootfs.
Only thing still is the firmware. I'll probably just copy the firmware files tot hte nitdroid partition. Will test later tonight.

Finally got it all working I can now boot into Maemo, Meego or Nitdroid without needing to reflash or change cards. I've attached the patch to u-boot I'm using - it appends the initrd and command line (if set) to the atags instead of just ignoring them when atagaddr is set.

For Nitdroid, I'm using multiboot as normal, but fooling it into thinking it's already done the reflash, so it just loads Nitdroid straight away. If anyone's interested, I can also post my initramfs and u-boot scripts.
The patches created by Rob1n or Mirakels is not in the last version of the u-boot code as delivered yesterday. I checked the git code for /arch/arm/bootm.c

It might not be needed to allow the copying of the existing ATAGS + the new ones as specified during u-boot, if you want to go for a pure port, as Rob1n used a hybrid Maemo FS + Nitdroid FS. But then extra work needs to be done.

Also the following post in the same thread (by Mirakels) might help to get more insight.

Anyway, it's getting too deep for me, for now, I'll let the big boys play

Thanks already for all the effort

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Netweaver For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
I found the problem with my crapola not working.
fatls mmc 1 was listing down my Music folder off my eMMC. What the actual ****? It might be because of damaged fat32 though.
Moved bootmenu files to ~/MyDocs/Music/ and it worked.

Would probably still be banging rocks together if not for the Gumstix wiki.

On a side note, it doesn't boot last selected entry, which may be undesirable for those who have ext4 /home who want to use this as daily part of booting. EDIT2: fixed that last part. Made a kp49+fmg's SR fixes COMBINED.BIN image. Anybody else want it?

Last edited by Hurrian; 2012-01-17 at 09:53.

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
I tested and on my n900 with default busybox is no problem with command dd.

But if somebody else has problem, I can change that code.
Pali, could you double check whether your dd is provided by /bin/busybox? On my device, both the stock BusyBox' dd as well as busybox-power's dd don't support the oflag parameter. Also, the conv parameter shouldn't be supported by the stock BusyBox' dd (it is by busybox-power's dd though).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot