seems like opensource mobile OS are jinxed

rip meego

cant wait another year or two , going with android/wp7

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
Originally Posted by volt View Post
This, gentlemen, sounds like we'll have a real Linux phone again. Eventually. I heard Q1 2012.
No way it will be that soon. They have only just announced a partnership, to get the phone out for Q1 they would have to have devices and software in testing now.

The problem with anything new is that will be "step 1 of 5" all over again...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
No way it will be that soon. They have only just announced a partnership, to get the phone out for Q1 they would have to have devices and software in testing now.

The problem with anything new is that will be "step 1 of 5" all over again...
Yep... they said the first version of Tizen will be ready by then...

I guess it will be the same situation as with MeeGo 1.0 then.

Samsung should do something. It is going now to be time, when every big hardware producer should have own operating system. HTC is looking for something. Samsung was talking about creating OS with support of korean government. So propably this is that step, creating TIzen.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
To me this looks like a cursed Midas touch, once again. Good luck to LIMO and Intel engineers.

I guess there are few areas where this project has chances to get to our homes in real life: TV and automotive. Getting TV stuff standardized on Tizen is nice and at least can help creating more market around those devices in next two-three years besides typical use. After all, if real HTML5 goodness will be available in TVsets, who will need to have Wiis and PS3s anymore?

Looks like nothing has changed.
This is Harmattan without Qt support, and the overlay of API's has been changed to support HTML5 directly. So its basically a cloud computing system, not unlike ChromeOS.

I think we can all kiss our dreams goodbye. Besides the N900 (or N9/N950 concepts) we'd need to shift to Android otherwise something like Ubuntu Netbook Remix with support for ARM.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 321 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland (Turku)
Originally Posted by Tesno View Post
How come there always has to be a new name, new tools, new firms? For media attention or what? Why not just continue some long term process that others have already started? Shouldn't Linux Foundation control this kind of stuff? How come the current linux projects are not compatible?
Maybe it's nice to meet new people, travel around, design new logos and stickers, create cool road maps and announce new partnerships. But when it comes to actual coding or getting products released... well you know, that's kinda boring. And difficult. Off to a next project!

The worst thing really is, that every time they seem to start from scratch. They key to the small success of Maemo was - in my opinion - that it was based on active, stable and well supported Debian.

Besides, HTML5 isn't even standardized yet.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Stonik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by Stonik View Post
They key to the small success of Maemo was - in my opinion - that it was based on active, stable and well supported Debian.
+1 for you. I'm more and more convinced that everything's got to start over from Debian. This would be great for users and devs, not so great for the corporate always designing and announcing their own walled gardens.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
It's not the name that counts, its the strategy. [...]
Or maybe with this name Intel admits that it is just teazin' us again.

Are you tizen yet?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by marrat View Post
Yep... they said the first version of Tizen will be ready by then...

I guess it will be the same situation as with MeeGo 1.0 then.
Well, I guess this is the point where I have to stop hoping I'll be able to keep running a gnu/linux phone. I developed a few apps for Openmoko, for Maemo, and I am in the process of porting code to Meego. I purchased four Openmoko phones, and three N900s. But this is one restart too many for me. I'll nurse my N900s for as long as I can, and then transition to Android.

It's too depressing for words.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
déjà vu, tizen