Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Code:
echo dedicated /sys/class/power_supply/bq24150a-0/mode
Not swure what you mean by "temporary and permanent". This one sticks until reboot (to be precise, until module's load/unload, I think). If you want it permanent, you can put a script doing it in /etc/event.d/, but you wouldn't be able to connect to PC (or hostmode, or USB Networking, or...).

/Estel
OK, I see what you mean, I have some toggle scripts up over on the Qi thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Strange thing happened for my N900 few days ago. Somehow my batterys calibration info was lost and now the battery status show only 100% when on idle, 50% with normal usage and red 0% when under heavy use. This is exactly same behavior as when I started to use the BME Replacement and it was corrected after I calibrated my battery as Pali suggested in this thread.

Now it seems that my system lost the calibration info and treats my battery as uncalibrated. Ofcourse the fix for this would be to calibrate the battery again, but it requires some work to ensure that the battery drains slowly enough at the end and only then it is connected back to charger.

I would like to know is the any mechanism in the BME replacement that caused the calibration to be erased, so I could avoid it in the future. I'd like to know if it is possible to save calibrations and possibly overwrite them manually (I have couple of spare batteries, that I could calibrate and switch to the phone and update the calibration info manually, without doing the calibration routine).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by Kossuth View Post
I would like to know is the any mechanism in the BME replacement that caused the calibration to be erased, so I could avoid it in the future. I'd like to know if it is possible to save calibrations and possibly overwrite them manually (I have couple of spare batteries, that I could calibrate and switch to the phone and update the calibration info manually, without doing the calibration routine).
I write only to confirm that this has happened to me. I am still trying to see if it is some or other sequence ... annoying.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
but it requires some work to ensure that the battery drains slowly enough at the end and only then it is connected back to charger.
Or just charge it to full, disconnect (VDC 1, check with BNF when in doubt), then just use it normally, and let it turn itself off due to low power. It will shutdown safely, and get calibrated just before.

I would like to know is the any mechanism in the BME replacement that caused the calibration to be erased
BME replacement or not, the chip mark itself as "uncalibrated" after 32 charging cycles without calibration. Again, you can check that with BNF ("Calibration required" flag).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
The problem is, if I let the phone just run out of juice, it happens most likely in the middle of the night, so I wont be getting wakeup alarm in the morning and have completely dead battery to start the day with. And if it happens during work day, I'd have to leave my phone charging at my desk an therefor be out of reach some part of my day.

It is curious that the battery calibration flag gets reset after 32 cycles (indeed I now have 33 cycles, so thet is what killed the info), because i've been using the same calibration data for 5 months, and I charge my phone every night, so it should have 150 cycles. Does anyone know what these full cycles consist of, so I can try to avoid them, I'm sure the battery has not reached EDV0 33 times in 5 months.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:
I have finally found the 'courage' to install the BME replacement.

I haven't tested it much at all, but the first thing that I noticed after installation was this:

My current N900 has recently shown signs of USB dysfunction. That is, it wouldn't charge nor let me establish a USB data connection.
It did, however, charge when using one of the various 'charge21' scripts floating around here on TMO.

Now, with the BME replacement installed, it charges again without such script, even from a battery bank, which previously didn't work out of the box either (only with a charge script).

Thanks pali!

Last edited by foobar; 2014-10-04 at 14:38.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foobar For This Useful Post:
I know I'm obsessed with this question, so bear with me.

Since my battery charges in 3 hours or less and I can't deplete the battery in less than 4 hours even if I try, it would seem that it should be possible to run the N900 on AC power alone without battery.

Could this be possible in a future version of your bme, pali? In the case of the Zaurus SL-C1000 (a Linux PDA from a few years ago), you could do this as long as the distro allowed it and you didn't overcharge the system by mounting the CF slot.

Maybe enable this functionality by limiting screen brightness and locking CPU to 600Mhz maximum?

The N900 deserves to be future proof in this regard.

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
The problem is, if I let the phone just run out of juice, it happens most likely in the middle of the night, so I wont be getting wakeup alarm in the morning
I know it might not be for everyone, but getting dual-cell battery is easy way to solve it. I charge my device once few days (3 or more) thanks to 3Ah behemot. The difference from 1,3 Ah is astonishing, in practice.

Originally Posted by foobar View Post
It did, however, charge when using one of the various 'charge21' scripts floating around here on TMO.
It's because BME replacement does the same thing as those scripts did, just implement it in kernel module level instead of userspace scripts and adds things like shutting down just after edv Not to mention battery applet, that takes information from sysfs nodes created by said modules.

As for charging method from charging chip's point of view, it's exactly the same thing, though.

Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
it should be possible to run the N900 on AC power alone without battery.

Could this be possible in a future version of your bme, pali?
Not possible hardware wise. The only thing you could achieve it, is to get a power source giving stabilized voltage in between 3.3V-4.2V range, and hook it up to battery pads.

The only way you can achieve it without such mods, is by shutting down all radios, turning brightness to minimum, etc. Basically, you can't use more than ~ 50 mA, and was usable only in battery hotswap proof-of-concept (which was just that - PoF - as it was more convenient to shut device down for swapping, anyway).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 91 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Milan - Italy
I try also here, sorry for the cross posting

hi to all
I'm testing the BME replacing from Pali. Great work!
But I have a BIG problem. I use a wall charger with 4 batteries. So when I change a battery the one I insert is not calibrated and I have 0/0.
Can I revert to original or old or CSSU BME? If I try to use the stok one (the link given above) it says is not existing

Thanks in advance

The Following User Says Thank You to alexporta For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Not possible hardware wise. The only thing you could achieve it, is to get a power source giving stabilized voltage in between 3.3V-4.2V range, and hook it up to battery pads.

The only way you can achieve it without such mods, is by shutting down all radios, turning brightness to minimum, etc. Basically, you can't use more than ~ 50 mA, and was usable only in battery hotswap proof-of-concept (which was just that - PoF - as it was more convenient to shut device down for swapping, anyway).

/Estel
Thank you, Estel. I think we had this conversation before but I had forgotten there was a definite restriction due to hardware. Being naturally stubborn, I thought it would be possible due to the fact I wish it were. I will stop now though.

Hopefully the supply of batteries won't dry out!

For some reason I like running my hardware without batteries, including IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads and Zaurus SL-C1000.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:

Tags
bme-replacement