Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Guys, guys, hold your horses, please. Don't you think that if there were room in the spacer for all those things, there would be no need for the spacer in the first place? Or was that the point? Am I being obtuse?

Last edited by pichlo; 2016-06-20 at 19:48. Reason: typos

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Neo900 won't have an "external" uSD slot, you need to remove the battery lid to access it. Neither any unused free volume inside device nor an unused SD interface exist in Neo900 design.

So here's my suggestion:

[edit] for the mentioned Sony camera: it says it comes with phone attachment

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2016-06-21 at 01:02.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Guys, guys, hold your horses, please. Don't you think that if there were room in the spacer for all those things, there would be no need for the spacer in the first place? Or was that the point? Am I being obtuse?
I believed there was actually a lot of space in there, but apparently I understood something wrong back in the days when the idea of the spacer came up. I thought the spacer was needed only because one component (modem? Don't remember) could not fit on the PCB within N900 thickness, but that the extra thickness provided by the spacerframe was not used over the whole area.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I jumped in after the post I quoted in my previous message.

[Edit] Joerg_rw, don't know if that will be possible on the Neo900, but on my N900 I can manage to store an extra µSD on top of the currently used µSD, just by shifting it a little so the bump does not stack. No noticeable extra pressure on the back cover.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2016-06-21 at 01:25.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
No, I am sorry. I may have gotten it wrong. Can you clarify, joerg_rw?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
I think you were perfectly right :-) despite the "original rationale for needing the spacerframe" is also correct, it been intorduced by modem module height, but meanwhile we crammed in so much that we used up pretty much all of the additional space

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Can the DIY hacking port be used for these external SD cards and other ideas? How many GPIOs and UARTs are in that?

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 79 | Thanked: 719 times | Joined on May 2014 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Can the DIY hacking port be used for these external SD cards and other ideas? How many GPIOs and UARTs are in that?
May I draw your attention to the Hackerbus white paper ?
http://neo900.org/stuff/papers/hb.pdf

There are enough GPIOs for 1 bit operation, or if you use some of the UART signals as GPIOs, then there are enough signals for regular 4 bit operation.

The regulated supply voltage available on Hackerbus will probably be 2.7 V, which is just at the lower end of the standard SD card voltage range.

Finding a nice place for the card holder would be more of a challenge. I guess there should be sufficient room if you remove the camera. Else, some creativity may be needed :-) When looking for such a place, the scans and photos here may help:
https://neo900.org/stuff/werner/scans/

- Werner

The Following User Says Thank You to wpwrak For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, spacerframe