Active Topics

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Oh dear, Nokia's OVI store is competing on price and according to one analyst is unsustainable

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/18/ovi_price_cuts/

If you wanted to make money from mobile applications which platform would you concentrate on?

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
If you wanted to make money from mobile applications which platform would you concentrate on?
The one with the lowest number of existing applications while still having reasonable market share. WebOS is out due to the latter requirement, so that leaves Qt.

Those analysts don't get it. They say:

"No developers who attended were using a Nokia phone"
and
"Nokia have fallen into the trap of paying to recreate the desirable symptoms of their competitor"

But it should be obvious that most of those developers will change their personal phones the second something better comes out. Nokia is forced to spend money to create buzz now, but only people who have seen the N9 will know what next year will look like.

So it's easy to say something new is always around the corner, but the N9 really is a special case, since it's the first mass market Maemo/MeeGo device.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I don't see the big significance of this. App store subscription/entry fee is such a comparatively small portion of the cost incurred during an app development\marketing\distribution process...

@johnel: If I'm in it for the money, I would still target Apple's AppStore for the time being.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
If Nokia can actually be trusted to have a reasonable attention span with Meego and not jump onto the "next cool new OS" over the next few years then they may have a chance competing.

They need a long-term commitment to a "mobile" OS and the developer community behind them to make it work.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
I don't understand why nokia have a reputation for jumping OS ships, b/c as far as i can remember they have been using Symbian for 10 years and was developing Maemo for around 4/5 years which as now evolved into MeeGo.
I want somebody to explain why you think they will jump ship?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post: