Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Just blows my mind to see threads like this:

http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44

And no matter how many times reality is explained, people whoosh right past it and post more garbage.

I'm all for locking such threads with a moderator's note that it may be reopened after heads have cooled... and people have read.
I don't think that would be a good solution, instead of 1 thread where it's concentrated, you'd end up with a bunch of locked threads. That wouldn't leave a good impression.

The other side of the coin: I keep seeing reasonable questions that get the same "stock" answers, that continue to not appease the people asking the question.

For instance, when someone expresses the worry that developers will be moving on/away from Maemo5/N900, the stock answer is invariably QT. The problem here is that the answer is very similar to Mandor's quote above:
An app developer will write an app using Qt and it will run on all Qt enabled devices (with a simple recompile if the arch changes). This means that the developers won't target specifically MeeGo 1 but Qt, giving them a much larger market.
The same app will run on the n900, the MeeGo based successors (and MeeGo based TV screens, toasters and coffee machines) as well as on newer Symbian phones.
I'm not a programmer, but what I read is that an app that is developed to run on an x86 netbook, a quick recompile and a tweak or two later, it's up and running on my N900, right? IMHO, we're talking about a netbook with maybe a similar UI, but 1024x600 screen. Depending on the app, there may be quite a bit of work converting from 1024x600 to 800x480 as far as layout, then usability becomes a question. To me, at least, this entails a lot more than a quick recompile. So to me, while I can see some benefit of QT, perhaps the "stock" answer is overstating the benefits a bit. And once someone starts thinking they may have been lead astray (even if slightly or innocently) they start questioning the rest of the points.

Now, I may be completely wrong in my assumptions. But, I think these may be fairly common assumptions, at least among the doubters. And I could probably do this for a lot of the "stock" answers, and I'm sure any number of people could jump in and point out where I'm wrong or misguided. And that would probably be a good thing.

I just wonder if this is a "can't see the forest for the trees" thing (on both sides). I'm a fairly intelligent guy, and I've read the wiki, and stskeeps posts, and other well thought out responses on most of these issues. While this has mitigated the FUD, it sure did not eliminate it. In theory, it all sounds rosey and good. However, theory doesn't necessarily translate well to practice, and that leaves FUD.

Long way around, IMO, locking threads because people haven't "read" the answers and understood them well enough would only serve to increase FUD, not decrease it.

Last edited by lemmyslender; 2010-03-15 at 18:24.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
*sigh* you may be right...

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Well, about that quote (by the way I am still looking for an answer), I think that is what Ari has been trying to tell us in his blog. MeeGo is good for N900 because MeeGo will attract more developers working with Qt, which translates as more applications based on Qt, which means more applications for the N900.

I am just looking for a quote from somebody in the know that I can include in the wiki page.

Mandor, I updated the wiki with enough info to dispel FUD:

http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re...N900.__True.3F

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
That's a forum, not a thread. A forum which has interesting threads like, "[How To] Have up to 9 home screens on N900 !" and "Using python location to access GPS info" at the top...

I fixed my link.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
*sigh* you may be right...
Another example of what I'm talking about (and my sincere apologies to Quim for picking his post).

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Making MeeGo work on the N900 is costing money already now. There is a team working on this as we speak, and as MeeGo first code release is taking shape.

The N900 was announced as official ARM hardware platform for MeeGo. This means that you can expect an open source operating system working on the N900 working on the N900 with a MeeGo API allowing you to install and run MeeGo applications.

The open source evolution path of the N900 is quite clear and looking good.

What Nokia hasn't announced yet is the commercial evolution path beyond the Maemo 5 official updates that it is granted that will keep coming. Yes, this is the same old question "Harmattan / MeeGo officially supported for the N900" and the same answer still prevails: http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re..._Harmattan_.3F
What I as an intelligent, engaged end-user read from this is:
1) Nokia is committing resources to MeeGo on the N900. I'd expect that some of those resources would/could/should come from within the Maemo5 group (they are the experts on the N900), which means less people working on Maemo5.
2) It reads like there will be a MeeGo OS that can be used on the N900, for "daily" use. However, it should be made clear that it will be a "developer" version, not likely suitable for daily use (for end-users). I suspect this will be the case for some months, quarters ? down the line.

As quoted, the same old answer stands, which is really no answer, ie Nobody, perhaps even Nokia, knows the answer. And that doesn't really do much to reduce FUD, in fact it may even increase it. In the end a good solid "maybe" will only increase the noise as people endlessly argue over their interpretations of it.

Just my $0.02

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
A solid "no" is better than equivocating, that's for sure.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
A solid "no" is better than equivocating, that's for sure.
I'm afraid what could happen when there is a "no" in the end...

The most users wouldn't understand that a Qt 4.6 based MeeGo Ovi Maps will not only run at MeeGo 1.0. - When it is Qt 4.6 based it should also run on a Qt 4.6 based Maemo 5 N900 without a problem. (or all the Qt 4.6 adverstisement is wrong)

If it is true, then why does Nokia promise Ovi Maps for MeeGo, but not for N900?

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
I'm afraid what could happen when there is a "no" in the end...
Nah, the way Nokia operates if it is a no they wont say anything about it, but there'll be a lot of hand waving about Qt 4.6 being available on Maemo 5.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post: