Hoping somebody else can test and confirm if they have the same problem here.

Prior to 1.3 Nokia Drive has been flawless with regards to near instant GPS lock(never more than 10 seconds) and holding an extremely accurate lock to my position when using Drive navigation.

However since updating to PR1.3 it's all over the place. Still locks onto my location fairly quickly(less than 15 seconds on average, but slower than previously), but the GPS lock is horrendous jumping my exact location all over the place(within fairly close proximity), and while driving often switching my view to another road I'm not driving on

Is this a new PR1.3 bug or am I alone with this new issue? Hadn't had this issue once until now but over two days testing it's constistently like it.

Last edited by Tetlee; 2012-07-08 at 16:02.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
this issue isnt in pr1.3...

one way to speed up the lock is to change your system language from text input...
e.g. you are on english (uk) change it to english (us)...the system will reboot...then change it back to english (uk) again...after a reboot try the drive app...it should lock and load much faster than before...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
this issue isnt in pr1.3...

one way to speed up the lock is to change your system language from text input...
e.g. you are on english (uk) change it to english (us)...the system will reboot...then change it back to english (uk) again...after a reboot try the drive app...it should lock and load much faster than before...
Wow; that's a neat find! AND EVEN A NEATER BUG!
But LUCKILY PR 1.3 fixed 1000 bugs

I had exactly the same issue, prior to 1.3, sub 10 second lock, post 1.3 5 minutes to never.

I did the following and it returned back to sub 10 seconds.

Changed the Network positioning/Location server to

supl.google.com

Installed

GPSData v0.4-1

I'm not sure which of these steps fixed the issue for me, ymmv.

rgds

The Following User Says Thank You to uTMY For This Useful Post:
Nothing wrong with my GPS after PR 1.3. Didn't have any problems with PR 1.2, either.

You do have an active internet connection when searching for your position? And you have calibrated your compass by swirling your phone? And you aren't far away from your last known position when testing?

I actually think my time to lock, when I'm nowhere near my last known position, has decreased with PR1.3.

Some information on slow lock without an internet connection here.

@uTMY, thanks for the info, will look into that and hope that it sorts itself out.

Originally Posted by slarti View Post
Nothing wrong with my GPS after PR 1.3. Didn't have any problems with PR 1.2, either.

You do have an active internet connection when searching for your position? And you have calibrated your compass by swirling your phone? And you aren't far away from your last known position when testing?

I actually think my time to lock, when I'm nowhere near my last known position, has decreased with PR1.3.

Some information on slow lock without an internet connection here.
I usually use it offline as I always have done. It doesn't need an active internet connection for finding your location, only GPS. Only time I've used data for online is when it hasn't found a particular address offline which is rare.

Either way, have experimented both online and off since this problem and the issue remains. Either it's a new bug, or some setting was changed during the update but I can't for the life of me find what it could be(and yes still have data allowed and internal GPS enabled).

I suppose I could try downloading another location GPS type app to see if that holds a lock correctly, would at least tell me if it's a Nokia Maps/Drive problem or the internal GPS in general gone a bit crazy.

Like I mentioned, I can still get a GPS lock within a reasonable if slightly slower time than before, it just doesn't hold as it did on 1.2.

[EDIT]Those who have found the lock-on fine since updating to PR1.3, have you actually tested navigation yet as that's where the the erratic behaviour really shows, would be nice to confirm that it isn't a general bug.

Last edited by Tetlee; 2012-07-08 at 19:59.

Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
Like I mentioned, I can still get a GPS lock within a reasonable if slightly slower time than before, it just doesn't hold as it did on 1.2.
Ok, I read your post too hastily. I thought you were complaining about offline locking being slow, like so many others with any GPS device. My apologies.

Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
[EDIT]Those who have found the lock-on fine since updating to PR1.3, have you actually tested navigation yet as that's where the the erratic behaviour really shows, would be nice to confirm that it isn't a general bug.
I think this is not a general bug because I use the Drive app almost daily. The only difference I've noticed so far is that it crashed the first time I launched it after updating to PR1.3. No problems after that.

I have also noticed real troubles with Drive and PR1.3, but OTOH there were days when it really sucked with PR1.2 too. Not sure if it's 1.3-related or not, but I also last Saturday got an instruction to 'turn sharp left', when the arrow and actual road was turning right (and then spinning round towards the left).

I think that in general the GPS antenna is probably not sensitive enough, and the Drive app's internal logic is bad:

If I have been sitting happily on a road for the past 30 seconds, driving at reasonable pace, it is a good assumption that I am still on that road, instead of suddenly on some side road. Drive does not appear to make this assumption and will have me suddenly jumping all round the place if there is any level of cloud cover and other roads nearby.

I hate to say it, but if I want reliable GPS then CoPilot on the iPhone has proven to be a better (albeit not free) solution. In Nokia Drive's defense, zooming around in it is much faster, and you get 3D buildings.

Thanks guys, must admit navigation and positioning was absolutely perfect for me before this, but never mind.

Originally Posted by Setok View Post
I hate to say it, but if I want reliable GPS then CoPilot on the iPhone has proven to be a better (albeit not free) solution. In Nokia Drive's defense, zooming around in it is much faster, and you get 3D buildings.
I don't use Nokia Drive as my primary sat nav due to the often poor routing, I use Sygic GPS on my Nokia E7 which is leagues ahead, aside from the slickness of zooming/moving around the map(and the previous near instant GPS fix) as you've pointed out above.

I do like to have Drive working properly on my N9 though for times I don't have my second phone on me, as rather a non-preferred sat nav than none at all.