Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Funny... I would have gone Jolla if it worked fully in the US; unfortunately I didn't get into the Sailfish Android Launcher Alpha... so I went with the Nexus 5 in April and now I'm running the Nokia Z Launcher.

My wife is in the hunt for a new device, she's looking to go with the Nokia 930 if not the 830 - she really wants the 1020, but if they're replacing it, she'll have to wait.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Luckily it did not feature Sailfish OS with Pureview camera, thus rendering it a spyware filled paperweight and allowing me to keep my budget untouched
One good effect of the Snowden revelations is that much more people think that way, giving (relatively) open-source phones a fighting chance. And I agree with you too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
One good effect of the Snowden revelations is that much more people think that way, giving (relatively) open-source phones a fighting chance. And I agree with you too.
In times where the words "common sense" are being used in phrases encouraging beating the war drums we can't expect corporations to do the right thing can we?

It would be interesting to see how many usage case irrelevant data connections these WP smartphones make behind our backs. Windows 8 sure is very busy sending contacting plenty of IP adresses but you can't exactly install a proactive firewall on your Windows Phone like you can on the big Windows can you?

Nokia / MSFT app store: this program (some MSFT game) "needs your location data" to run.

Nice hardware though

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Why not a 5,5 iPhone 6 released tomorrow?

http://youtu.be/MOXQo7nURs0

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-09-08 at 17:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Funny... I would have gone Jolla if it worked fully in the US; unfortunately I didn't get into the Sailfish Android Launcher Alpha... so I went with the Nexus 5 in April and now I'm running the Nokia Z Launcher.

My wife is in the hunt for a new device, she's looking to go with the Nokia 930 if not the 830 - she really wants the 1020, but if they're replacing it, she'll have to wait.
EXACT same boat with Jolla and the Nexus 5 minus the Z Launcher. Slightly off-topic but how do you like the Z Launcher?

The Following User Says Thank You to whayong For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sunny Woollahra
The jolla, while appealing, isn't available in Australia.

And the 930 is a beautiful piece of hardware.

The word flow keyboard is great, camera fantastic and usefulness excellent. I realise it is a spyware fueled machine, so I do my best to create as much meta data as possible

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rfa For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by whayong View Post
EXACT same boat with Jolla and the Nexus 5 minus the Z Launcher. Slightly off-topic but how do you like the Z Launcher?
Continuing the OT: I like it. It's simple, I'm not a fan of widgets at all and it has none. The handwriting to speed up to the apps is brilliant and fits my workflow quite well. It's a ton lighter in resource usage than the Now Launcher.

But many will find it too simplistic. I can't add anything to the upper right - that's my calendar only. Upper left is the time - no weather. But it's a cool concept.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
A bit surprised you went with the Microsoft phone when a Jolla would tick all your boxes.

Good luck none the less.
Lumia 930 is great phone and with WP 8.1 update MS is making WP a great alternative to iOS and Android. I'm also considering Lumia 830 because of its pureview camera and affordable price tag.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
Lumia 930 is great phone
Agreed, the HW of the device is pretty neat.
But you need to consider that HW is only part of the story, it is the combination of HW+SW that makes the device useful at all.

Which brings me to...

Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
and with WP 8.1 update MS is making WP a great alternative to iOS and Android.
No freaking WAY! alternative to non-jailbroken IOS possibly, but who on this earth wants to use such things? They take away all your control and f**k your privacy both ways coming in and out!

(I have been told that IOS jailbroken is usable, however I do not have any experience on that)

As for Android, even as it is also a POC with too much bells&whistles on it and defaults to being same kind of spyware-ridden box of steaming s*** as the others, at least it is fixable-to-be-usable.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
There are some Sailfish launcher apks floating around in the interwebs, not too hard to find. I tried it out, its interesting, although its hard to switch from modded GNL to anything else with google now so well integrated.