Seriously, Peter/Quim (or any other Nokia'n that can answer it), how Serious is Nokia planning on going after the US/Canadian market with the N900? Or has management, decided Step 5(6,7?) is when they will finally go after the North American markets w/ Maemo?

We are "technically" supported -- yes, we can pre-order it now from Nokia; but it will only support the 4th largest US phone carrier. Which based on market share only has somewhere around 11% of the US market (& like no market in Canada). What happened to targeting the larger pie's. Either something like CDMA which has 60% of the NA market, or even adding another model with the missing GSM bands and supporting at a minimum at least 40% of the market? But going after a potential of 8% that is just plain stupid marketing.

Nokia World 2009 is over, and no North American carriers announced they were going to carry it. Hello, Mr McFly, anyone home?

I mean when when the Pre was announce we know a in advance it was going to Sprint (and within days we knew Verizon would have it). When the new Android, and Blackberry phones were announced we knew where they were going to be. I think we even knew where the original IPhone was going to end up. We even know their is a unreleased Palm scheduled for the AT&T market.

But Nokia's new Flagship phone, uhm, hello, what, no launch partners at all? Are you all Crazy, you won't even make a dent in the North American markets with this type of marketing and planning.

So, honestly -- is Nokia actually planning on "doing" anything this time around; or do you plan on letting the Iphone, Android and Palm-Pre eat your lunch in the North American market for another year?

You don't have to divulge any specific plans,and I would be very happy with with a simple HONEST answer.

"Yes we plan on attacking the US/Canadian markets shortly" (i.e. <= 6 months); or No, we have no plans to work the market in the near future. (i.e.any plans are > 6 months)

Please note, before the NW09 I had assumed Yes, and my posts conveyed that message -- I firmly believed Nokia had planned on finally "attacking" the NA market. But I have to say after NW09, and the clear lack of anything direction wise -- I am pretty disappointed and believe the answer is you won't be doing anything in the NA market again.

Nathan

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
That's what i been wondering. It's pretty obviously why iPhone is dominantly here and Nokia is NOT because Nokia phone is not being supported. So how are you going to dominate the market if your phone is not allowed in ANY of the carrier EVEN though your phone looks great and superior than the other product. I think Nokia don't like their phone being crippled and having a hard time making a deal with the carrier. Good for consumers if the phone is not crippled but bad for business on both side.

So my conclusion is Nokia phone will never be popular here even if they come out a phone as slick and as great as iphone simply because they are not being supported for some reason.

Last edited by romanianusa; 2009-09-04 at 22:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to romanianusa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Nokia World 2009 is over, and no North American carriers announced they were going to carry it. Hello, Mr McFly, anyone home?
There's still plenty of time between now and release for press announcements including Maemo Summit so don't jump the gun yet.

Originally Posted by romanianusa
So how are you going to dominate the market if your phone is not allowed in ANY of the carrier
It is allowed on TMobile, the only network that supports it fully. Technically afaik, you can also use it on AT&T @ edge speeds.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
There's still plenty of time between now and release for press announcements including Maemo Summit so don't jump the gun yet.

Sorry, you lost me.... They officially announced it a couple days before NW09. They demo'd it and generated all sorts of good press for it at NW09. Quite a few Nokia stores had their pre-order links up before NW09 was done. We even know the estimated "shipping" date.

Maemo Summit is likely not going to be a "press" event; it is more a techie conference. Why would you expect they would pass "announcing" things at their Press event and announce them at the Maemo "tech" Summit? That would be pretty dang foolish. So I don't think I'm jumping the Gun. I want to know if they actually are planning on doing something or not.

Nathan

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Selling the phone at $700 unlocked is pretty bad business, compare this price with subsidezed phones like iPhone 3G only $99 and you will see why Nokia will loose market. No serious presence in USA means bad reviews or no reviews and no marketing because the most reviews come from USA and most of them are in English so USA dominates the world opinion.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
It is allowed on TMobile, the only network that supports it fully. Technically afaik, you can also use it on AT&T @ edge speeds.

Sorry, you lost me.... They officially announced it a couple days before NW09. They demo'd it and generated all sorts of good press for it at NW09. Quite a few Nokia stores had their pre-order links up before NW09 was done. We even know the estimated "shipping" date.

Maemo Summit is likely not going to be a "press" event; it is more a techie conference. Why would you expect they would pass "announcing" things at their Press event and announce them at the Maemo "tech" Summit? That would be pretty dang foolish. So I don't think I'm jumping the Gun. I want to know if they actually are planning on doing something or not.

Nathan
Nathan, please reread what I wrote, specifically this part:

Originally Posted by zerojay
There's still plenty of time between now and release for press announcements
I never said press announcements would be MADE at Maemo Summit. We just know release is going to be right around then.

You mean like the Aug 27th one:
http://www.nokia.com/press/press-rel...newsid=1337594

LOL, as I stated before -- NW09 they had all the peoples eyes they could want wanting and craving information. When they announced it they made a splash across a lot of sites. You want to make an announcement when you have people looking at you. Putting a Press release out sometime between now and Maemo Summit is pretty stupid when they could have put it out during NW09 and had a huge majority of the blogs parrot the info, giving it wide spread wings.

Think about it -- prior to NW09 we suspected TMO would have the device. If they said yes TMO will have the device starting Dec 1st, that would make people think twice about picking up a competitors device because that information would be spread across the NA sites and people would know "it is coming to TMO, soon". Right now, only some sites have mentioned you can order it from Nokia, and no one has a clue who will carry it (or even if a vendor will carry it), This is supposedly the Nokia Flagship device.

Apple, RIM, Palm all seem to realize that you give press material at press conferences along with the demo -- you want as much "sales" material and "desire" as you can get out out, so that people want it. I assume Nokia understands how it works.

Putting out a press release between now & Maemo Summit is rather pointless. Sure we here at maemo.org would pick it up right away; but the general public probably won't see it.

So no, I would not say I jumped the gun. I think the the answer is > 6 months, and I am hoping that I am wrong.

Nathan.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
+1 for making a Canadian version

Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
USA dominates the world opinion.
LOL

What about "no" Scotty?

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Ok, i want this...NOW :P

But now I'm confused about bands allocation worldwide!
(...and Canada/Montreal)

From nokiausa: (of course nokia canada is a year behind! go figure...)

* Optimized for WCDMA 900/1700/2100
* Quad-band EGSM 850/900/1800/1900
* Optimized for 3G networks on WCDMA 900/1700/2100 Quad-band EGSM 850/900/1800/1900

So does that mean that phone will work anywhere for voice but then for data we're screwed?

From what i gather, our GSM monopoly (Rogers/Fido, yes you! hopefully videotron and others will popup soon...? on the "right" frequencies?) is able to speak on 850 and 1900 for 3G...

Is an international phone still able to roam in 3G on the 2100 band?

Or does that mean we're stuck with EDGE and while traveling around Canada and in the USA too?

And then abroad i guess I'd have to get a prepaid data plan for vacations from another carrier... Also, any idea how to get the phone to here (except bribing friends south :P) ?