Hello community, this is my first post, so i would like to start by doing 2 things. One is apologizing for the opening of this thread, i assume that my question must be answered somewhere on the forum. However, after hours of reading all sorts of articles, i am still confused about it.

The other thing is to congratulate everyone for the awesome work, iīve seen nothing but great proyects and contributions.

Now to the core of the thread itself. Iīm about to change my cellphone, iīve a Samsung Omnia II with WinMo 6.5, and i just canīt go on with it, its laggy and unmodifiable to the point that i feel like i bought som mid-range phone, i cant even play little java games! hehehe.

After doing some market research, i found that my 2 options are the Nokia N900, and the Motorola Milestone. When i came across this site i said to myself, "N900īs the way to go!". But after reading lots of articles on different blogs, and threads from this forum, i am left with a simple yet complicated question. What future is there for this great phone? I donīt want to get the phone, then find out that iīm gonna end up where i started, with a phone that has no future support. Iīve read that thatīs not gonna happen, but still i would like someone to tell me "Yes, you should get this phone, theres plenty of years ahead to use this phone, thereīs no need to change it", or "Reconsider your options".

Well, once again sorry if this is kinda lika a repost, but i want a straight up answer, and i find this to be the fastest method.

If i get this phone, i would like to start contributing to the different proyects, since i find that the number of posibilities is infinite.

Thanks a lot in advance, and keep up the good work!!!

Your question has no answer.

it HAS support, and its already UNSUPPORTED:

- Official support, no way. Nokia (maybe) will release pr1.3, and no one expects nothing after that.
- Unofficial support: a lot of parts are open source, that can be upgraded without the help of nokia. and here we have a big community that loves the n900 a lot.

Another question is what we have, and what we dont. Mainly here is the Application Store
- Milestone have the Android Store.
- Here at maemo, we have a joke (ovi store).

And the closed source parts, like the phone, modest for mail, and several subsystems

hope this helps

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
How you know that Motorola milestone has future support? Has Motorola released full roadmap for next n+1 android updates for device?

Only thing you probably know is that there is going to be 2.2.

If you like to test stuff and are not afraid to flash your phone once in a while then go for N900. There will be Meego also Nitdroid is looking pretty good already. Test, devel, enjoy freedom to do almost whatever you want to do (including breaking OS) then choose N900. If you want mature OS with good phone features then choose Motorola.

Last edited by slender; 2010-09-01 at 19:42.

The N900 is going last for several years. Maemo probably will get an update, Meego will soon be installable (in a usable state) and Android is already working except the phone functionality as of today. There is nothing even remotely close to the functionality of the N900.

But if you simply want a phone, then get something else unless you get it cheap, or wait a couple of months for the N9.

just my opinion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bsving For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
The N900 is going last for several years. Maemo probably will get an update, Meego will soon be installable (in a usable state) and Android is already working except the phone functionality as of today. There is nothing even remotely close to the functionality of the N900.

But if you simply want a phone, then get something else unless you get it cheap, or wait a couple of months for the N9.

just my opinion.
Exactly what i DONT want is just a phone, thatīs what caught my eye about the N900, i can do lots and lots of stuff with it.

Well thanks a lot for your answers everybody, iīll get this phone and start contributing to the community.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darksurfer For This Useful Post:
Hey people, iīve been doing some more reading, and i coudnt fid a release date for the Nokia N9.

The reason why i ask this is beacuse when this phone comes out, wonīt it replace the N900? Thus making it a little bit "obsolete" per say. The thing is, if I buy the N900 2 months from now, would i be buying an outdated phone? I think this fits on the topic of the thread, so I just wanna know what you think.

The Following User Says Thank You to darksurfer For This Useful Post:
Nokia World is coming up (September 14-15). They might announce the N9. I would say wait as there will be more choices for you.

how they going to come out N9 when N8 not even have on the market jet ?? I would say summer next year

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by darksurfer View Post
Hey people, iīve been doing some more reading, and i coudnt fid a release date for the Nokia N9.

The reason why i ask this is beacuse when this phone comes out, wonīt it replace the N900? Thus making it a little bit "obsolete" per say. The thing is, if I buy the N900 2 months from now, would i be buying an outdated phone?
Short answer: Yes. But it's not that simple. All electronics are outdated by the time you open the box... there's always something newer and faster and more shiny coming out next week.

While I have owned N900 since last year and love it and can't imagine using anything else, based on your concerns I would suggest you hold off at least until the MeeGo phone is announced and official specifications are available. My "gut feeling" (based on nothing) is that first generation MeeGo phone will be very similar to N900 in hardware. We won't know for sure until it is announced, though. Maybe they will "wow" us with a real game-changing device.

On the other hand, N900 stock is being cleared out and prices being slashed. If money is a factor in your decision, you can get an extremely good deal on N900 nowdays. Nokia USA had it for USD$199 with an old-phone trade-in. That's 1/3rd of the price it was 6 months ago.

In the short term, buying the "mature" N900 may give you more than with the MeeGo phone. I say this because N900 has almost a year of community effort and software development put into it. MeeGo will be starting from scratch with both community and commercial software. Surely some of the Maemo software will be easily ported to MeeGo but whether everyone does that or not will not be known until that day comes.

There's also the fact that MeeGo-on-N900 is alive and real, you can install it on your N900 today. I have high expectations that we'll someday see a consumer-quality Meego release for N900 and those of us who wish to use Meego rather than Maemo as our everyday OS on N900 will be able to. Hopefully, if MeeGo-phone's hardware is not radically different from N900, we'll be able to take advantage of new features and software developed for MeeGo on our N900s.

There's also NITDroid which installs Android in your N900, and you can dual-boot between Maemo and Android. I would never want to use a primarily Android-based phone (or I would have gotten one), but having it there for apps or whatever that can't be done on Maemo is of course a welcome option.

I'm personally going to hold on to my N900 and watch MeeGo with interest. Probably wait for 2nd-generation MeeGo phone to ditch my N900, depending on how things progress and what direction Intel and Nokia try to take it. I'm skeptical but hopeful.

As a linux user for many years, N900 is simply the ultimate phone. The power and joy of having a real linux distro in my pocket at all times is great. No other phone even comes close, in my opinion. You can have my N900 when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I say move along and wait for the N9 or something if you're looking for official support from Nokia... Otherwise the N900 is a great device to use...

The N8 is a great option too imo.. And no don't believe those internet bastards that keeps on bashing Symbian.. Symbian is great.. S60 was terrible but that's history now...

I believe the N9 will be released around January 2011? I thin so...