Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Meego/Maemo team was mostly dismantled, the small crew doing Meltemi work are
Actually these were Konttori's words to me quite recently:

Meltemi is huge project. Same scale as Harmattan.
Meltemi developers are spread too unevenly across the globe and my position would have been the same as in Harmattan,
Coordinating development activities and that would have meant too much travel, that's the biggest reason I move to MP.
MP = Mobile Phone, it's the division that Meltemi sits underneath.
I don't know if he's exaggerating or not, but I certainly hope not.
Even so, it's unlikely we'll get Maemo-based smartphones geared for the high-end.
If we're lucky there might eventually be one that creeps into smartphone hw territory.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
MP = Mobile Phone, it's the division that Meltemi sits underneath.
I don't know if he's exaggerating or not, but I certainly hope not.
Even so, it's unlikely we'll get Maemo-based smartphones geared for the high-end.
If we're lucky there might eventually be one that creeps into smartphone hw territory.
Maemo is a thin layer over linux, how big the project is depends on what "big" is. It is not at all like doing a operating system from scratch like Microsoft needed to do with windows phone and has failed with. Microsoft is switching the kernel to same kernel as windows 8, this is done in apollo I think. Then it could compete with Maemo.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
It's irrelevant anyway, as sales rates will gradually get much better for the Lumia's (if they haven't already).
Or worse.
Android - Ice cream sandwich is just out, the fist two pones with 720p resolution is out and in just two months there will be many more. Android has fast dual core mobiles, higher resolution in cheap mobile phones.
Competition isn't standing still

Is it possible to sell phones stuck at 480x800 with single core processors and bad support for new technologies?
If they are very cheap, then maybe. But Nokia will pay a very very big price to sell those dirt cheap phones.

Linux (Maemo) is a much better system and more people is involved in the development than Microsoft will put on its WP

Nokia vs Apple

Very interesting!!
http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...ing-nokia.html

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by ekzwolfe View Post
time for nokia to move on over to the (what did they call it) "future disruptions" technology.
Wally the jargon buster.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by whatsa View Post
SamGan SamGan SamGan....

The N9 figure you stated is rubbish so stop it. We all know it was higher and someday Nokia will disclose that - end of story.

Cherry picking I see (selective numbers)

you may as well say apple sold 3.7m iphone 3 a poor performance
to nokias 20 million. (an equally stupid comparision).
We are comparing the same quarter, do you get it? It shows what Nokia's Lumia sales means compared to its competitors. What is your purpose to pick sales figures for iphone 3 which is totally in another age?

The reason why Nokia dare not reveal breakdown figures is because N9 has outsold Lumia and this is devastating to Elop. Despite being banned from major markets, minimum promotion and declared dead by a Microsoft crazed Elop it outsold Lumia proving that his WP7 strategy is wrong.

ya know, ive been using my E6-00 for the last 6 months and picked up my N900 for the forst time in a while

this three year old UI feels two generations ahead of belle

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jerryfreak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gosh View Post
Linux (Maemo) is a much better system and more people is involved in the development than Microsoft will put on its WP
Can you elaborate please. Linux is a general purpose OS, while WP has been tailored to the purpose. To me it looks like Linux is more likely to be struggling to get the job done in future.

(that said, Linux is great, I don't use anything else on my home PCs).

Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
Can you elaborate please. Linux is a general purpose OS, while WP has been tailored to the purpose. To me it looks like Linux is more likely to be struggling to get the job done in future.

(that said, Linux is great, I don't use anything else on my home PCs).
Creating a operating system for multithreaded apps is much harder compared to singelthreaded task based systems.

There would be some truth in the statement that WP is done to fit in slow hardware or hardware that need to take every step possible to save power TWO years ago. This is not the case anymore. At the end of 2012 we may see the first quad core mobile phone, we will certainly see it in 2013.

Also, threading done in the hardware does not consuming more power. Having two cores and you can lower the frequency to save power. Single core processor that his clocked high will consume more power compared to a dual core that has a bit lower frequency.
Mobile phones today is connected to internet all the time, they are checking things, tracking etc. All that while someone is talking in the phone or listens to music. In order to do that smoothly with a task based operating system it will consume much more power because the system needs to create all logic in the software.

Also Windows Phone will NEVER get same support for different types of hardware that linux has

Today if someone is saying "WP can't do multithreaded apps because it need to save power" is just marketing crap from someone that don't know how it works internally.

Last edited by gosh; 2012-01-29 at 14:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to gosh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
the best way forward for Nokia may be to use the fabled and currently vapourware Meltemi and their hardware expertise to start knocking out phones similar to the ZTE blade /BladeII and others which are mid spec Android devices getting pushed out at £100 or so.

Chuck the Swipe interface from the N9 on them to wow and seduce the punters, and allow these devices to be "unlocked" or customised by the community like Android can be (think cyanogenmod), and there may be a real chance for them to be very disruptive in the market.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post: