Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
The 1st thread is/was? for bug complaints, not for theme/format complaints as was mentioned several times in that thread. The 2nd thread is a poll asking whether or not the new format/theme is liked more or less than the old.

This seems like a valid question tha might have gotten lost in the other two threads or deemed "off-topic".

To answer the question, the new format/theme likely would have little influence on the amount of my visiting. However, if there were to be a spike in threads that arguably have merit (and could be seen as complaints/critisizing) being closed, that would quickly end my time here.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Put yourself in somebody else's shoes. Do you really think it's "fun" for the people who worked on the theme to come here to lots of complaining? Or fun for people who would rather be doing productive things to have to look at all the complaining?

Fun for you isn't necessarily fun for everybody.
Poor implementation is poor implementation. Just having a working color scheme similar to ITT before go live, would have made transition easier for MANY of those people who voted "it was way better before".

The reason people are "complaining" as you put it. I would say b1tching, pissing, stomping freaking mad!!! That may sound ridiculous, but when a site you love and visit every day suddenly hurts your eyes, Its not really surprising to me people are "complaining".

"complaining" causes change, if not immediately, hopefully people will learn from the "complaining" for future endeavors.

To quote you "Put yourself in somebody else's shoes." for once..

Sorry if that hurts your feelings, welcome to IT
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2009-05-01 at 01:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 126 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Personally, I like the color changes. The "dark hacker look" thing is anything but universal. Here's a hacker who likes bright better .

I did have some issues with the new layout when it was launched initially. Some have already been addressed since then, one even in direct response to a request of mine (respecting the option to hide avatars properly). I.e. I've found the guys in charge to be attentive and quick to respond. Kudos.

The new theme (a) works way better than the old default on my N810 (much, much speedier) and (b) has more features than the "Minimalistic" one I used previously (because the default was slow). Bottom line, it's best of both worlds to me. I expect to visit the forums more now.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sho For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Do you really think it's "fun" for the people who worked on the theme to come here to lots of complaining? Or fun for people who would rather be doing productive things to have to look at all the complaining?
If all the old themes were left as options, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
I guess iTt is not a democracy. You get what you are given.

Considering Reggie just addressed another wish - for tighter vertical spacing - I'd say the government is listening to its constituents .

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sho For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sho View Post
Considering Reggie just addressed another wish - for tighter vertical spacing - I'd say the government is listening to its constituents .
Change itt black!!!

Please

I filed a bug
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4437

I will donate money

Can't they copy the default theme and just change the damn color scheme???

CHANGE ITT BLACK
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Sure, I can't see anything wrong with offering a dark variant of the default theme for those who prefer it either, especially when those who want it are happy with the new theme otherwise. As long as I get to keep the bright one .

Last edited by Sho; 2009-05-01 at 02:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sho For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I should also be able to type Maemo.org and not be harassed. I should also be able to open a thread even if some people don't like it. I am hoping that ITT won't turn into some censored forum run by anal geeks. It seems like the path down this road has perhaps already begun. I hope ITT will continue to be a "FUN" place to visit.
True that... but this forum has to be of service too.
No one likes change... period. But the best thing about this cosmetic change is that it is happening now and not later.

Right now the only service aspect that I'm coming here for is yerga's up coming Stocks application for Maemo and any new Apps that may be announced... I doubt Nokia is going to release any Diablo upgrades

If they were, we would all be here regardless of the font size or dang color scheme.

But penguin please...
A thread asking people who aren't here to reply?
The point he was trying to make could of just as easily been made in your thread and as a matter of fact it was.
On a side note... Reggie is reacting to comments and suggestions in yours and other threads on the fly. I have seen three significant changes in as many hours tonight. If he has to monitor even more threads I fear the dude will burn out in the middle of a change and we'll all get stuck with some Salvidor Dali looking, time warped theme or suttin'.

I think I'm feeling where you are coming from but the real change in this forum I'm afraid has already occurred. One of the attractions for me was that it did appear to be an alternative to Maemo.org. and that no longer is the case it seams.

For good or ill, enthusiasts need an alternative to the status quo. Corporations in the past couple of years have gotten the "Forum" religion and see it as way to control their products message. That may or not be so in this case but things have changed here none the less.

It has been my experience that the need for enthusiasts to create and maintain a culture that is separate and apart from a corporate controlled culture is so great that new forums will pop up overnight. Some become much more popular than the corporate sponsored ones.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-05-01 at 03:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
It's exactly threads like this and mine, along with filing bug requests that will give the powers that be a clear understanding that not everyone is happy with this upgrade.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4437

I am asking for a duplicate theme with alternate colors. This will solve my main issues with the site.

The good news, they are listening, I believe there will be a new theme coming that will be more aligned with the original ITT site, at least as far as color scheme. I also believe this will be happening sooner, rather than later or not at all.

Perhaps I am wrong, then I will just continue to piss and moan. As ******ed as my poll may have been, it shows at least 49 out of 110 or 44% people think ITT was better before.

I reserve the right to try to get what I want, and b1tch about it when I don't