Poll: Would you pay Nokia £1-£5 every 6 months to bring the features in line with Meego release and portin
Poll Options
Would you pay Nokia £1-£5 every 6 months to bring the features in line with Meego release and portin

While writing this post dissecting the reasons why people are unhappy with N900 and Nokia in general, it got me started thinking. We have a situation where Nokia is unlikely to put too much resource into N900 moving forwards because it is not worth them doing it (or so they think, even though I disagree). So this is just a thought experiment to see if an alternate model exists.

So the exam question is

Would you pay Nokia between £1(€1/$1.5) to £5, dependent on the features, say every 6 months if they promise to bring you a firmware update which brings it at par with the corresponding Meego release? It could be a subscription model or pay to download.

The logic is of course reasonably straightforward. We do know that Nokia sold 100,000 N900s in the first 5 weeks of release, so there are probably at least 300k-400k N900 owners out there, if not more. So even if say 20% of those agree to pay for the firmware update, that would mean that Nokia can hire 2-4 full time developers to maintain and port features to the N900 (and possibly to older Maemo devices). Question of course is whether such a model is feasible and would customers pay for it? (I know there are issues around piracy etc., but let us not go there yet)

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to arbitrabbit For This Useful Post:
One word: NO

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto
one word: yes

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I would pay $5 per a yearly firmware upgrade, provided it includes significant features addition.

Not fixes. Fixes should be provided in timely manner and for free, in the incremental updates following every major OS update.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
I think people might prefer to fund a community effort?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United States - Saudi Arabia
no.............

The Following User Says Thank You to salah99 For This Useful Post:
I was willing to pay back when the N770 was being left behind...

I felt burned with the N770, held off purchasing the N800, saw that it got left behind too, waited to see what would become of the N810, saw more of the same treatment, hoped that the N900 would escape the same fate... and now it looks to be more of the same... why? The hardware is capable. It just needs some software love.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinh For This Useful Post:
why should i?!!

1. Flash 10.1
2. equalizer
3.orkut application
4.proper facebook application
5.proper maps working without A-GPS

i want all this for free

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to anaskr For This Useful Post:
For something like fully functional MeeGo to N900: yes.
For normal software updates: no.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Yup. I'd be quite willing to. I love the device and the platform, and if they realise there isn't just a negative (cost) aspect to maintaining older devices (leaving aside arguments about future purchases etc.. be realistic), then it's likely they'd be more willing to undertake it, I think.