Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I hope they show Sailfish OS running on high end tablets and phones from generic Chinese manufacturers just to demonstrate the potential that's there.

Anyone who expects big name Android manufacturers to put out a Sailfish device are living in dream world. The best hope is a generic manufacturer who hasn't signed up to the Open Handset Alliance to take a chance with them. Google will never allow the OHA partners to put out a device that does what Jolla does with Android.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
It's really disappointing that they delay the release of the phone in China.
I really hope I can type traditional Chinese with Jolla, but so far no details about the update

The Following User Says Thank You to yabush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
tens of tousands devices sold? I REALLY doubt.

10 000 as total is my guess...

I do beleive in Jolla engineers but I do beleive Jolla has big trouble if they don't start sell more device to the operators right now!

Now they probadly draining money very fast. Its cost have employed people and also if they have lot of warranty issues they drain even faster. Now that is the only reason to not be fast with operators. Since they get chance to get rid of nasty bugs in HW/SW but at the same time...

Anyway, I really hope they have big plans for MWC 2014 and get alot good attention because they need and deserves get more attention.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2014-02-13 at 20:48.

they can run their OS on Android hardware as they said. this is the strategy to allow them easier entry into the market with high end hardware.

the problem they face now is polishing the OS. the first set of Jolla Phones have been released for this specific purpose - to polish the OS and build more native apps. i just hope they have enough cash to pull it through.

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
I really think they are aiming for those Android devices mentioned at the hardware adaption wiki. Nexus 7 and 4, Samsung S3. Those are the most common devices amongst the people who have accustomed for changing roms, and they are eager to try something new. Every android hacker in XDA-developers has one of those devices (and plenty of others too in the drawer so they can spare one).

This means that they'll have a chance grow the Sailfish OS user base exponentially in a single night. This is brick and mortar of their business no matter what they are planning to do in the future.

Currently there is a gap in the device ecosystem that was left by HTC. What happened to HTC was that they lost their wind as a hacker device manufacturer. They did it plain stupidity by locking their bootloaders, if only for a brief time.
They didn't realize what they had in their hands: Number 1 status amongst the Android community of forerunners that eagerly give their views and opinions to anyone who is interested about getting a new phone. Now HTC has to compete with the big players without any special advantage, and is losing it badly.

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Good* news for me and other Estonians - Jolla is arriving to Estonia. It is presented to the public on 28th of April. Phone is going to be sold by mobile phone operator Elisa.

News article in Estonian: http://www.aripaev.ee/article/2014/4...jouab-eestisse

*Hopefully it makes all Jolla repair and accesory purchase related matters easier/cheaper and faster for us.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Silwer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
Good* news for me and other Estonians - Jolla is arriving to Estonia. It is presented to the public on 28th of April. Phone is going to be sold by mobile phone operator Elisa.

News article in Estonian: http://www.aripaev.ee/article/2014/4...jouab-eestisse

*Hopefully it makes all Jolla repair and accesory purchase related matters easier/cheaper and faster for us.
Good to hear. How large is Elisa in Estonia? Among the top 3 operators?

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Yes. Among top 3 as we only have 3 operators...

Market shares:
EMT (owner: TeliaSonera, Swedish) - 42%
Elisa (owner: Elisa, Finnish) - 31%
Tele2 (owner: TELE2, Swedish) - 27%

Estonian population is only 1,3 million. Area is bit bigger than in Denmark.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Always love necro keep it coming! Viva eSTioniOS. I hope you get your jolla soon! and estonia get jollaMania.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-04-26 at 15:58.