After being connected to the internet for a couple minutes, my N810 stops working. The touch screen is unresponsive (but does prevent the system from locking), the power button doesn't do anything - even if held, back / app switch button don't seem to do anything, and when it is in this state, I must remove the battery to restart it. After some time the device will restart itself and, oddly enough, bluetooth with randomly turn itself on when I turn the device on. My n810 is fine while in offline mode, but what is the point of an internet tablet without the internet?

The only things I can remember that I've done recently to my n810 is
  • Updating mCalendar to the version in extras-devel
  • installing mTodos and the corresponding homescreen applet
  • enabling the chinook extras repository to install a gif viewing dependancy for mtPaint (which seemed to install from extras-devel anyways from what I could see in the terminal output), which I then immediately disabled

Yes I could flash my tablet, but that would be too easy

I had that problem with the first two versions of Diablo. If you have the latest version, that shouldn't happen anymore.

I have 5.2008.43-7, which I presume is the latest version since I got my n810 this year

Yeah, that's the latest. It's also odd that it's still doing that. What kind of wireless router do you have? Can other wireless devices connect to it with no problems?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
@notnarb

Before connecting, run (as root): "/etc/init.d/alarmd stop" and see if happens again when connecting.

I had a problem with mCalendar in where it would add a shitton of entries to the alarmd XML file causing the tablet to start up its syncing process a 1000 times. Combine that with the fact that it's a Python program...

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
I too have experienced this on my N800.

As much as I love mCalendar, I keep having to uninstall it due to just this problem.

Even with autosync unchecked, it seems to keep trying to connect. Especially, the Extras-Devel version...

Hope this helps

m

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Well, when mine did it, I didn't have mCalendar installed.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
@notnarb

Before connecting, run (as root): "/etc/init.d/alarmd stop" and see if happens again when connecting.

I had a problem with mCalendar in where it would add a shitton of entries to the alarmd XML file causing the tablet to start up its syncing process a 1000 times. Combine that with the fact that it's a Python program...
Aaaand we have ourselves a winner

Now is there a way to stop this from happening? Should I just dive into the program and try my best to erase the offending lines which tell it to autosync?

Just to pitch in and add some more evidence to the debate, this seems to have been exactly what happened with mine.

Connecting to WiFi saw the CPU go up and up and memory fill up and then... reset. I tried uninstalling everything I'd added since the problem appeared, no luck.

Uninstalling mcalendar, after seeing this thread, nailed it completely. No trouble now.

I'd installed mcalendar as soon as I bought the thing about a month and a bit ago, but the problem apeared only when I actually starting adding entries in earnest.

Tags
connect internet freeze