Hi guys! I have found in a web network interesting scripts for optimisation Maemo.

Optimize-n900 Is a package including four scripts for optimisation N900 after which installation at you in the main menu of programs there will be four new icons of applications:

1. Clean-900, clean APT (run clean, purge, autoclean, autoremove, update, upgrade).
2. RMprog, delete preinstall applications (Amazon Installer, AP News Installer, Document To Go Installer, Foreca weather Installer, tutorial-home-applet, Blocks Game, Chess Game, Mahjong Game, Marbles Game, Hildon Games Wrapper, User Guide, OVI Promotion Widget, Nokia OVI Maps).
3. Freerootfs, frees rootfs (Move some file to opt).
4. Superswap, improve performance (swap, page cluster, connections tcp, connections ipv, install the speedpatch).

Producer: Adunanzav3x

PS: Before application of script Freerootfs for me was 57,8 Mb free rootfs, after application 85,6 Mb. After application of a script do not forget to reboot.
Before run of all scripts connection to the Internet is required.
Script RMprog deletes at once all preinstall applications! Therefore they are better for deleting manually (those that are not necessary to you). For example:
Code:
sudo gainroot
- Amazon Installer
apt-get --purge --auto-remove remove amazon-installer
- AP News Installer
apt-get --purge --auto-remove remove ap-installer
- Document To Go Installer
apt-get --purge --auto-remove remove dtg-installer
- Foreca weather Installer
apt-get --purge --auto-remove remove foreca-installer
- RSS Feed
apt-get --purge --auto-remove remove osso-rss-feed-reader*
- Blocks Game
apt-get --purge --auto-remove remove maemoblocks
- Chess Game
apt-get --purge --auto-remove remove gnuchess osso-graphics-game-chess osso-sounds-game-chess
- Mahjong Game
apt-get --purge --auto-remove remove osso-mahjong osso-graphics-game-mahjong osso-sounds-game-mahjong
- Marbles Game
apt-get --purge --auto-remove remove osso-lmarbles osso-graphics-game-lmarbles
- Hildon Games Wrapper
apt-get --purge --auto-remove remove osso-games* hildon-games-wrapper0
- Hildon Backup system
apt-get --purge --auto-remove remove osso-backup*
- OVI Promotion Widget
apt-get --purge --auto-remove remove ovi-promotion-widget
- Nokia OVI Maps
apt-get remove nokia-maps-core
Attached Files
File Type: deb optimize-n900-1.3_armel.deb (23.9 KB, 647 views)

Last edited by Tiran; 2013-01-24 at 07:26.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tiran For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Hi,
Is it proven --auto-remove flag in the RMProg script is safe i.e. no libraries etc required for other packages removed?

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Hi,
Is it proven --auto-remove flag in the RMProg script is safe i.e. no libraries etc required for other packages removed?
RMProg script deletes without a choice all listed preinstall applications, therefore it is better to delete manually through the terminal!

Has added .deb a file.

Last edited by Tiran; 2013-01-23 at 18:18.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
I'm sorry, but we really don't need any more of the optimization scripts.

They're rarely documented, and many times fail to perform as expected due to the user installing other mods (unless config files are placed wholesale, which isn't desired for many other reasons.)

Instead, I recommend directing users to the Wiki and forum threads for adjusting Maemo 5 system parameters for extra performance.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
I'm sorry, but we really don't need any more of the optimization scripts.

They're rarely documented, and many times fail to perform as expected due to the user installing other mods (unless config files are placed wholesale, which isn't desired for many other reasons.)

Instead, I recommend directing users to the Wiki and forum threads for adjusting Maemo 5 system parameters for extra performance.
And nevertheless I liked two scripts (Freerootfs and Superswap). I look at real result and it pleases me.
After run Superswap scrolling of desktops began to work for me is much better and more smoothly. After run Freerootfs on 40 % became more free rootfs! I recommend!

At me: kernel-power 51r1, CSSU-Testing, CSSU-Thimb

what about
Code:
 sqlite3 /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el-v1.db "vacuum;"
it should speed up the database a bit if you delete/insert in it a lot acording to http://sqlite.org/lang_vacuum.html
But on the other hand it is not recommended to run sqlite3 and edit the database directly

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
I look at real result and it pleases me.
So, I assume you also take the responsability than to provide support when things go wrong? Because things will go wrong, at some point.

Hurrian's advice is not something that comes falling out of the blue sky. We've seen so many threads with trouble that originated from all those "helpfull" scripts, and usually, it's not the person that writes the scripts that cleans up the mess afterwards.

So, are you going to provide support for these threads?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
So, are you going to provide support for these threads?
Respected anthonie, these scripts have an author and I think it will support if there will be problems! I have only told that two scripts are very useful to me.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Tiran View Post
Respected anthonie, these scripts have an author and I think it will support if there will be problems! I have only told that two scripts are very useful to me.
4. Superswap, improve performance (swap, page cluster, connections tcp, connections ipv, install the speedpatch).
Yeah, sure

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by Tiran View Post
1. You "think". While that is pretty cool as a philosophical observation, as a promise of future support there's not much meat to it. And if you are not the one planning to support it, why are you the person to post it?

2. You have only told those "two" (there are 4 actually) scripts were usefull for you, after someone else already mentioned the dangers of it. In your OP they are advertised as usefull scripts for anyone.

3. A very good start would be to remove the upgrade part that comes with the apt-get/free RootFS script.

Yes. Tech savvy people should have no problem dealing with upgrade, less savvy people, though, have lots of trouble with it because they tend to ignore or overlook feedback from the terminal.

4. Your 4th script includes Karam's "speedpatch", which is probably the worst piece of scripting this device has ever seen. Karam also kept his users well informed with support...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=73315

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:

Tags
idiots-again, karam-2, script-a-brick, speedpatch mk2