Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
got windows 10 for free from my university and it sucks. I switched back to 8.1 and not going back to 10 every again.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Isn't Windows 10 free anyway? Or is it just the upgrade?

When I was a kid, I read some books from a then popular Soviet Sci-Fi series. In one book, the main protagonist travelled 100 years into the future. It was a utopian, Communist future where money was abolished, everything was free and people worked because they enjoyed it.

Our protagonist came across some strange machines in the street of the future city that turned out to be ice cream vending machines. Of course free. She tried an ice cream and liked it. She tried another flavour, then another... And after three, the machine refused to give her another one because it was not healthy. And of course, all machines were linked so that was it with ice cream for the day.

It was meant to be a good thing. Machines looking after you etc. But I remember thinking, as a 12 or 13 kid, how horrible. A machine deciding what is good for me, how lucky I am to not have been born 100 years later. Turns out I was too hasty.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
the Cortana AI Assistant will now (by default) scan through your e-mail messages in order to remind you of any commitments you have.[/url]
Whilst the reminder capability is new, Cortana has been scanning your email (unless of course you disabled it) since W10 was released; it is how it manages flight tracking and package delivery info.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
The damned Google Now started this "data scanning and prediction" thing

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by enne30 View Post
The damned Google Now started this "data scanning and prediction" thing
Disagree. It's been around longer than many people would rather admit and was seen as convenient by the masses with little to no concern over their privacy.

To my knowledge (and my use) before Google Now, BlackBerry Travel used to take note of any travel plans you had in email(s) and would set up your calendar to accommodate such things as your itinerary and making your calendar show you as busy during travel, whatnot. Key difference... it could be turned off.

My biggest complaint - this stuff that many consumers found convenient is just now starting to encroach other savvy people's daily operations. Folks weren't just paying enough attention it seems.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post

When I was a kid, I read some books from a then popular Soviet Sci-Fi series.
Totally Off-Topic, sorry, please don't reply to me:
Whoa, i've read one or two of those and have never heard of anyone mentioning them (except for my ex who introduced me to them), thanks. They are pretty good for anyone who likes "classic sci fi" and childrens stories.
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
@ pichlo, velox...
I remem. reading Alisa!

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Key difference... it could be turned off.
Key difference from what? Google Now? Cortana's peeking at your email can be turned off

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Key difference from what? Google Now? Cortana's peeking at your email can be turned off
AFAIK the service continues. You're simply dismissing the notices.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
AFAIK the service continues. You're simply dismissing the notices.
That's not my understanding.

Tags
aaand it's gone, ka-blammo!, readtheninstall, windows 10