Active Topics

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
U.S. main street media takes it for granted that Nokia goes WP7. Looks like the stock market does not like that so much, Nokia shares are down in NY more than 6%. MSFT is also down, but less than 2% currently.

Does this mean WP7 does even not please the investor crowd? So, who will win if Nokia and MSFT tie up? Well , Apple, Motorola, and RIM are up on the stock market.

Not saying that Wall Street is right, but at least I find it interesting that Nokia sells off while Elop tries to turn the ship around to improve shareholder value. Just saying...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@cBeam: I haven't been reading the news, but I'm guessing that from Elop's memo, maybe they read that Nokia's condition is even worse than they initially expected.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
if a new OS is announced its not just for the US market as some have suggested.
its obvious by the Memo it will be for Europe too
otherwise why did he bother to Quote the dipping share figure for UK market

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by Faustino View Post
After playing about with a N8, HTC Desire, iPhone 4 and the HTC 7 Pro last week I can safely say that WP7 is light years ahead of Symbian 3..

The N8 still has that sluggish feel to the UI.. absolute disgrace given it's cost.

I was extremely impressed with the HTC 7.. it was fast, and very well thought out in terms of functionality.

If Nokia do go that route, I don't know why everyone is getting so upset..
Here we go with the people confusing UI with actual OS core functionality...

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by cBeam View Post
Does this mean WP7 does even not please the investor crowd?
Why should it?

Going from a 30% market share platform to a 3% market share would be a win?! Who has expected something like that?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
the last 24 pages of this thread was generated based on that memo
Fair enough. I did some backdigging but was surprised by the lack of reaction to Elop's brutally somber admission of failure.

Maybe 'a few' of the older members have given up since Nokia never listened to our suggestions and advice anyway. There's only so many times your "partner" can ignore and disappoint you until you leave...

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@cBeam: I haven't been reading the news, but I'm guessing that from Elop's memo, maybe they read that Nokia's condition is even worse than they initially expected.
Who knows why Wall Street reacts as they react. Share prices have little to do with reason IMO. Theoretically they should reflect anticipated future performance. And in this context I find it interesting that Nokia shares fall very significantly today after they spiked yesterday. Yesterday's news was a shift in strategy (Wall Street likes). Today's news is the tie up between Nokia and Microsoft (Wall Street does not like, neither do I ).

Elop has a lot of explaining to do.

But no one should read too much into a short term fluctuation of a stock.

The Following User Says Thank You to cBeam For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Fair enough. I did some backdigging but was surprised by the lack of reaction to Elop's brutally somber admission of failure.

Maybe 'a few' of the older members have given up since Nokia never listened to our suggestions and advice anyway. There's only so many times your "partner" can ignore and disappoint you until you leave...
Oh we've already passed that level.. xD

@cBeam, more like Ballmer has a lot to explain to the world.. hint: trojan...

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by __-_-_-__ View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Brilliant

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by michou View Post
I don't believe that meego will be dropped, due to the important alliance that it has formed between nokia, intel and amd. And also due to the amount of time they have been working on it.
AMD did just announce support but how much progress have we seen from AMD? Nada...

Also I dont think Intel will care that much if Meego gets abandoned.

Intel is mainly shipmanufactor and can go WP7/Android without problem. For them most important is HW companys is using theyr chipset. They dont give a **** what OS they is running at the end.

Meego is only "strategy game" from Intels side, this only to make Microsoft/Google progress faster to support Medfield CPU/new chips.

This was what happened to the netbooks. Asus EEE was runing Linux at the start after just a halfyear or soo Linux dist was dropped and Microsoft shitty OS was back on all notebooks.

Meego could be more important for Nokia but they must something FAST. In a year its probadly to late... Investors loosing money and are angry as hell.... Alo the endusers...

Just my "amateur" analyse...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org