Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Honestly? I really don't know. Maybe because Microsoft isn't seen as a "cool" company whereas Sony, Apple and Samsung are seen as cool.

WP7 is a weird, and a very hard sale that's not being sold anywhere in massive numbers. It's an oddball OS that people think looks childish at first. And it's too closely related to the failed Zune... which, while I loved mine, people shunned it for the simpler, more liable to break iPod.

And no... I think slapping a Nokia label on it will not bolster WP7 sales. In fact, in the US, Nokia has been relegated to those cheap flip phones that grandmas still like. Nokia's presence in North America is sorely lacking and spiraled into a depressing mess. I don't see Nokia needing WP7 as much as WP7 needs Nokia.

But that's my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.
Keep in mind that Microsoft has had more than a decade to get this right, too. I think a lot of the handset makers, carriers, retailers and even salespeople are just so burnt so many times by Microsoft's claims that "this time we did it right!" that it no longer holds sway because the trends never ended up reflecting positively for them. The past decade of negative word-of-mouth reputation doesn't help either, I'm sure. Of the handful of people I've ever known who bought a Microsoft Windows Mobile phone over the years, NONE of them ever liked it better than competing Palm, Blackberry, iPhone and now Android devices that have been in direct competition with them before Windows Phone 7 came out.

It might just simply be too late for them to clean up a whole decade of negative impressions from handset makers, carriers, retailers, salespeople and customers who've already moved on to brands that made them far happier before Windows Phone 7 came out.

Furthermore, Nokia's NEGATIVE image in the US as a cheap, plastic convenience-store phone manufacturer will, in my opinion, probably do worse than nothing and probably HURT Windows Phone 7 in the long run and I'm really not seeing either Nokia nor Microsoft putting any effort into improving their image. Seeing as how Nokia ads have been incredibly tacky and lackluster and Microsoft ads have been incredibly disjointed and irrelevant over the past 10 years as well, I'm not sure I trust either of those two to be able to make a successful ad campaign anymore either.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-10-25 at 05:48.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Almost a marriage made in hell. Tacky brand name meets disliked os. How it is going to succeed is anybody's guess. If WP7 can't succeed in the most important market in the world it is going nowhere. But Nokia has bet the farm on WP7. Maybe this will be N9 lovers' revenge on Elop.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by moepda View Post
would it be rude to ask how much customs charged you ?
yes based in london.

total cost was £ 69. I have a feeling now that this included delivery too as well as customs. My cheap cousin left the recipient to cover the cost and here I thought we were tight

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post

If this describes you, you should probably go and read some of the comments on this article. It cheered me up immensely. I'm assuming that the majority of the commenters there still live in their parents' basement and are in a commited relationship with their XBox 360 (Warning: contains dangerous levels of FUD and Microsoft)

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who falls in love with the N9 but thinks it's just missing WP7... deserves WP7.
Ok sure don't hate before you try and all that but that link made me feel wrong. Hearing people so vehemently ask for wp7 feels like a crime.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I just don't get why they chose windows as the brand name. There isn't a single window on that os, and windows (mobile and desktop) is not anymore seen as something desirable, or high tech, but just how things are. I know nobody that brags about using windows, everybody just finds a nice excuse why they don't bother switching to *nix. One's mobile os of choice is like a car. It defines you. Very few people like to be identified as 'windows type'. They should have called it tiles or something.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
marxian, how hard is it do you reckon to write plugins for say facebook chat and google chat that integrates into the messages app just as skype does?
What does the current messaging app support thus far?
The messaging app integration support is just that out of the box: facebook, gtalk and skype.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The well-known establishments have yet to obtain the Nokia N9 whereas second, third and fourth tier merchants have it in stock
Much the same in the UK, and it is beginning to look like a deliberate ploy/policy. Expansys UK for example have just responded to a query from me for further explanation of why the 64Gb model has vanished from preorder with the statement that it is related to Nokia 'regulations' - here's what they said:

"We are hoping to be able to get our hands on stock from Europe. However at the minute we are unsure due to Nokia's regulations"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Much the same in the UK, and it is beginning to look like a deliberate ploy/policy. Expansys UK for example have just responded to a query from me for further explanation of why the 64Gb model has vanished from preorder with the statement that it is related to Nokia 'regulations' - here's what they said:

"We are hoping to be able to get our hands on stock from Europe. However at the minute we are unsure due to Nokia's regulations"
I couldn't help but ping an email to Mr Elop on this subject.... (stephen.elop@nokia.com)

"Hi Stephen,

Welcome to London for this week’s event, I wish you every success.

I’m afraid the N9 is proving elusive in the UK, particularly with established online retailers like expansys or amazon.

I would like to purchase a black 64GB version – please could you point me in the right direction.

Oh by the way, it’s a shame that Nokia haven’t licensed Adobe flash for use with the webkit browser or the third party fennec browser.
It’s also a shame to overlook the option to include Myriad’s Alien Dalvik or openmobileww.com’s ACL to allow access to a wealth of Android’s apps.

Just out of interest, other than by buying and android phone with full adobe flash support, how would you suggest that I view embedded video content on the BBC’s website? This was possible on my N900 until the promised flash 10 upgrade and support was dropped.

Would you recommend the new Samsung Nexus Prime as I am unaware of a Nokia product which can allow me to perform this basic function?

It would be great to hear back from you or perhaps from someone who can assist me in greater depth.

Many thanks,

Owen"

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to oweng For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
considering the places the N9 is not available because nokia want/need their wp7 range to sell i can see why they would restrict sales in certain countries/regions based on this. The people in the officially announced countries seem to be able to get it from well known stores on and offline. we all know where it's not being officially released so we shouldnt be surprised that major retailers aren't stocking it as they will probably have to buy through a 3rd party to get it.

and amazon are selling it, just depends on the country your in but i don't fancy €709 for a 64gb from Germany.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mece View Post
The messaging app integration support is just that out of the box: facebook, gtalk and skype.
sweet so it's just MSN missing then. I beg all devs to get that up in there!!

btw I agree wit everything gerbick said especially that microsoft needs nokia WAAAAY more than nokia needs microsoft. What's done is done though....hopefully nokia keeps their promises of updaes and fixes and the community will hiomebrew the rest. QT has become TRULY OPEN SOURCE yesterday.
http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/10/21/...oject-is-live/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hotnikkelz For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????