Active Topics

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
I know the device has just been released, but is Maemo 5 going to be primarily used in landscape mode with the exception of phone calls? All the video I've see along with pictures have the phone in landscape with the exception of receiving a call.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by bdogg64 View Post
I know the device has just been released...
It has just been announced, not released.

...is Maemo 5 going to be primarily used in landscape mode with the exception of phone calls?
The default orientation is landscape, except for phone calls, yes, but any application developer who wants his or her application to support portrait mode may add such support.

So, the primary orientation will depend upon the applications you use most, what they support, and how you hold the device.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
Ok, thanks

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
From the screenshots, portrait mode seems to have no top-left button to get to the switcher/desktop/app-launcher, which is a shame.

Well, the only portrait mode app is the phone for the time being, so if you would click the top left button it would take you to landscape mode anyway. So its probably more logical as it is now ot just turn your device to landscape orientation to get to all that stuff.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viipottaja For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I like on Android that almost all applications support both, portrait and landscape modes and it switches by just turning the phone. Portrait mode is nice for one-handed operation and it's great that so many applications support this mode.

Can applications on the N900 detect the current orientation and switch accordingly to support both modes?

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I like on Android that almost all applications support both, portrait and landscape modes and it switches by just turning the phone. Portrait mode is nice for one-handed operation and it's great that so many applications support this mode.

Can applications on the N900 detect the current orientation and switch accordingly to support both modes?
I think with the "active desktop" and the free form nature of the desktop having it flip for portrait would have been difficult and not looked too nice. As others have said individual applications are a different story.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Yes.
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
I think with the "active desktop" and the free form nature of the desktop having it flip for portrait would have been difficult and not looked too nice.
Yeah, I agree it would be hard to make a desktop/widget layout that would work in both landscape and portrait modes. I suppose there could be two configurable desktops, one for portrait and one for landscape, but I can see room for user confusion when they add a widget then can't see it when they rotate, so making a good UI for this would be tricky.

Still, it would be nice to be able to access the switcher and app launcher in portrait mode (once more apps start supporting portrait to make this useful), without having to rotate the phone or look at all the icons sideways.

You must add portrait support for most areas of the OS. I was sure that this was going to be my next "phone" (mobile computer) but what is the point of device which is pocketable which cannot be used on the go. I may as well put it in a bag. Think about it, the majority of the time you see someone with a touchscreen device they are using it in portrait.
Examples:
1)Walking to work want to check my emails casually - single handed, so that I can carry my briefcase.

2) Check RSS feeds out and about.

3) Check the time single headedly.

4) Using Ovi Maps while walking in an unknown place (If I try to do this with 2 hands I will probably get hit by a bus - by adding portrait support you will actually be saving lives!

I want to be able to multitask on the phone (mobile computer) but also in real life. Remember this: You were not criticised for the lack of portrait support at Nokia World because everyone was simply demoing the n900 not trying to use it in "real world situations". This will be different for the consumer.

The lack of portrait support is a total dealbreaker sadly.

Suggestions:

Menus: These can easily be changed to portrait (I'm not a software developer so I making assumptions here).

Dashboard: Arrange all the windows the same way only rotated.

Browser: Like other mobile browsers address bar at bottom, with onscreen portrait keyboard etc...

Camera: keep the same, obviously.

Messaging: Use onscreen portrait keyboard.

Start with the key apps for mobility before moving onto others. By doing this, people will not be so frustrated.

In conclusion, it is sad to see that you have forgotten that you are designing a mobile computer NOT a computer. Thus, it is crucial that you delicately balance your two objectives to avoid total failure.

Computer: Full marks
Mobile: 70%

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimizzle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by jimizzle View Post
You must add portrait support for most areas of the OS. I was sure that this was going to be my next "phone" (mobile computer) but what is the point of device which is pocketable which cannot be used on the go. I may as well put it in a bag. Think about it, the majority of the time you see someone with a touchscreen device they are using it in portrait.
Examples:
1)Walking to work want to check my emails casually - single handed, so that I can carry my briefcase.

2) Check RSS feeds out and about.

3) Check the time single headedly.

4) Using Ovi Maps while walking in an unknown place (If I try to do this with 2 hands I will probably get hit by a bus - by adding portrait support you will actually be saving lives!

I want to be able to multitask on the phone (mobile computer) but also in real life. Remember this: You were not criticised for the lack of portrait support at Nokia World because everyone was simply demoing the n900 not trying to use it in "real world situations". This will be different for the consumer.

The lack of portrait support is a total dealbreaker sadly.

Suggestions:

Menus: These can easily be changed to portrait (I'm not a software developer so I making assumptions here).

Dashboard: Arrange all the windows the same way only rotated.

Browser: Like other mobile browsers address bar at bottom, with onscreen portrait keyboard etc...

Camera: keep the same, obviously.

Messaging: Use onscreen portrait keyboard.

Start with the key apps for mobility before moving onto others. By doing this, people will not be so frustrated.

In conclusion, it is sad to see that you have forgotten that you are designing a mobile computer NOT a computer. Thus, it is crucial that you delicately balance your two objectives to avoid total failure.

Computer: Full marks
Mobile: 70%
I agree that potrait mode is very essential for a mobile device for all the things you mentioned. But people who have used the device said that the device i way smaller compared to the n810/n800 so one handed landscape use is quite possible. The only problem comes with one handed text input which i think will be a big problem

Tags
n900 portrait landscape