Dear All,
I need help for create one .deb file to have 2 applications be installed
i use esbox inside ubuntu VM

Kindly advice
Regards
Wael

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Austria
What do you mean? That makes no sense.

Does one of the programs need the other? Then put its name into "Depends" in the file "debian/control" in one of the debs.

Or you can list it in "Recommends" in the same file instead.

Originally Posted by dannym View Post
What do you mean? That makes no sense.

Does one of the programs need the other? Then put its name into "Depends" in the file "debian/control" in one of the debs.

Or you can list it in "Recommends" in the same file instead.
I have two application first one is act as a service ,
second one is user interface for configuration and monitor
i want to install both applications in one deb file

thx

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Austria
Generally you can put whatever files you want into the deb file. This also includes the ability to put two programs into the deb file (whether that's a good idea or not is another matter).

Could you post what you already have?

Last edited by dannym; 2010-07-12 at 15:59.

Originally Posted by dannym View Post
Generally you can put whatever files you want into the deb file. This also includes the ability to put two programs into the deb file (whether that's a good idea or not is another matter).

Could you post what you already have?
right , i am preparing a test and will post result

thanks

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
It's more a matter of good or bad practice that possibility. You could put the entire maemo Extras repo into a single deb: it would just be pointless.

If the two "applications" have any reason to exist or be updated separately, you should probably put them in separate packages and use a dependency relationship to make sure they are both installed together.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
It's more a matter of good or bad practice that possibility. You could put the entire maemo Extras repo into a single deb: it would just be pointless.

If the two "applications" have any reason to exist or be updated separately, you should probably put them in separate packages and use a dependency relationship to make sure they are both installed together.
intersting
can you advice if i want to put maemo-cplusplus-device-env in my deb file can you give me an example
or how to put it to be installed when i install my application

thanks

The over obsession to make packages modular can be sickening. Packages that depend on obsolete or conflicting libraries (often ONLY in the name/version of the package) cause trouble and those dependencies should be included within the source package.

That said while I know it is possible, I haven't found a good way to do what you want (stick a few .debs in a single .deb and have it work without problems). You could do it, I'm sure but it would be problematic.

An alternative, if you have all the source packages would be build them together (combine their debian control files into one) or place the scripts (or binaries) into folders corresponding to where they should be installed (say you want a script to be installed to /usr/bin/ then make a bin folder, make a usr folder and put your blob in the bin folder and the bin folder in the usr folder)

In regards to your last post, yeah you can simply tell the package manager to call them as dependencies (have to be in a repo enabled by the user). Two files that your need your attention for debian package management (this is one way but not the only way to package .debs) are debian/control and debian/rules. rules is good for configure options (among other things). control is what you want.

Example (from http://radagast.bglug.ca/linux/anato..._deb_file.html )
Package: hello
Version: 2.2-2
Section: user/utilities
Priority: optional
Architecture: armel
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.5), foobar, maemo-cplusplus-device-env
Installed-Size: 584
Maintainer: John Doe
Original-Maintainer: Jack Smith
Description: The classic greeting, and a good example
The GNU hello program produces a familiar, friendly greeting. It
allows non-programmers to use a classic computer science tool which
would otherwise be unavailable to them.
Seriously, though: this is an example of how to do a Debian package.
It is the Debian version of the GNU Project's `hello world' program
(which is itself an example for the GNU Project).