Notices

Poll: You want XFCE?
Poll Options
You want XFCE?

Who would like XFCE for their Internet Tablet? I just wish to know if I should take the time to try and compile this...

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ Pennsylvania
I don't actually own a IT yet, but if this works that would seriously make me want one more and make me that much more ready to do it. I'm a linux user and xfce is a clean and easy to use GUI.

I'd love to see your results.

Results? ^^'''

I'm just getting the first few libraries to finally compile... It'll take me quite a bit of time, but, with a bit of luck, we'll have something usable

But, so far, KDE and a few other windows managers have been ported by Penguinbait. Type in "KDE Available" into the search function of the forums to check it out.

I've got PB's KDE 3.5 port and it's great. XFCE would be nice as well.
Something not as bloated as KDE but with full access to the Hildon apps (and menu) would be excellent.

never used it before but it looks cool, looking forward to this

The Following User Says Thank You to cosmo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
I am willing

Wow... I was really hoping no would wish death on me ^^;

Small update! I'm a jackass and decided to rig the configure script so it would work with the current version of GTK2 scratchbox has... Not a good idea... So, before I can coninue compiling XFCE, I have to get GTK2 latest working, which means getting Pango and Cairo compiled... Cairo goes without a problem... but Pango... that may take some work....

I need time... and maybe a cookie...

I'm curious as to what benefit or value you expect from setting up XFCE to run on the Nokia tablets?

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Philadelphia, PA
I think xfce on the IT is an excellent idea. I use xfce on several older machines and it's very light and as such seems a good choice for the IT. In terms of benefits/value I can think of several; it can be configured much more than the current UI can be, xfce has some nice lightweight applications like orage, thunar, xfmedia etc ...

My understanding of XFCE being lightweight was that it was lightweight compared to Gnome and KDE.

When the basis for comparison is hildon, I'm not sure that description still applies. But I'm interested to find out - the XFCE port will be an indicator of hildon's success in developing an environment for embedded devices.

If you just like the XFCE UI, then all the better, more power to you. But as for being lightweight, we'll see how well that holds up in the maemo world.