I received my n900 yesterday and it's the best phone I've ever owned. However, I paired my bluetooth headset (not headphones) with it so if I happened to get a call I could take it. I noticed throughout the day that I wasn't hearing any notifications and thought it was something wrong with the profiles. Then it came to my attention that all audio was being routed to my headset that should only be used for calls. I don't see a way to specify that the headset in for hands-free calls like other phones do. Is this a bug or am I missing a method for getting it to work?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
mhmh... intersting thought to split the audio output. i would have considered it a bug if any audio went through the speakers as long as the BT headset is connected. but then it's never wrong to have choices, is it?

would it be possible to have something like a "mixer application" direct different sounds to different outputs? like phone calls to BT, normal signals to the speakers and music from the media player to the wired headsets that for whatever weird reason you have inserted in spite of the BT headset?

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
As long as the alarm in the morning does not get routed... :-P

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
this is highly annoying, im not even using a stereo bluetooth headset and the music comes right through, with my G1 i'd have the music playing through the car stereo and any calls would route through to my bluetoooth. definitely something that needs to be fixed. it even overides the fm transmitter.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
I just discovered this bug today as well. The wake up alarm would be BAD, VERY BAD! I use my phone as my alarm clock. I also don't put my Bluetooth in till the phone rings. What were they thinking here? Anybody elses phone work like this?

My view is that this is definitely a bug. On a phone, ring tone is set by the profile, and goes over the speaker and the headset.

Possibly setting vibrate might help announce a call, but should definitely use the speaker for alarm and notification tones including the ringer.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
In principle this should be a pretty straightforward job with pulseaudio, but I've no idea yet how easy it is to get at the pulse config on the N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
With pulseaudio, would it be possible to have output through bluetooth headphones and the normal 3.5mm jack simultaneously?

I am able to do this with my Samsung P2. Would be a shame to have to step down from such a feature.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I have to repeat that I do not see it as a bug (as in "it must never be this way"); it is something I would like to have at times and sometimes not.

So I prefer not to have it changed (hard-wired the other way round), but to have a way to select what goes where. If ewan is right about pulseaudio in this context, it would be an ideal thing for a sexy application that enhances the phone without Nokia doing anything.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I agree that if this was a pair of headphones I would sometimes want it to route audio and other times not. However, this is a single ear headset/microphone that is specifically meant for phone calls and should do nothing but phone calls. I was under the impression that bluetooth had different protocols for headsets and A2DP was always used for headphones (I'm not trying to be a professional about bluetooth I just thought that's how it is). So if it is that way, shouldn't audio only go over A2DP and phone calls to the headset/microphone?