Notices

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Paris, Fr
Hi,

I've just released the first public version of GPS Recorder.

GPS Recorder is a little and yet another GPS track data logger for the Maemo 5 platform I've made for fun.

Its main purpose is to keep a complete GPS data snapshot at a desired regular interval (in seconds). This means it does not only keep position and altitude but also satellites view, cell tower information when it is available, GPS events like fix losses, positions snapped by you (POI), etc...

Logged data (one file per track) can be converted to KML/KMZ, GPX and/or CSV formats in a single operation, directly from the application and with some output options (essentially for the KML format).

During runtime, you can visualize raw GPS data (like GPSJinni for example).

Application is written in C++ and is stacked upon Qt and the Maemo's location libraries.

Application is not yet in Extras (request is pending) catalog and any comment is appreciated

Links :
Attached Images

Last edited by polyvertex; 2010-06-07 at 18:07.

The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to polyvertex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
Please register here.

Nice work, thank you!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to resplendent2209 For This Useful Post:
Looks great, thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
cool, it may I suggest the following enhancements:

1. record accelometer data
2. be able to record as fast as data can be read (esp for accelometer sub-second resolution would be needed).
3. have some sort of "cli" mode where the raw data could be dumped via pipe for immediate transfer (think telemetry...)
4. barring 3. have a way to store "raw" data in something that can be sensibly queried (like sqlite) (and being able to put the datafile on the removable SD card since it's much faster than the internal eMMC)

see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53353

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
Thank you for your replies !

Originally Posted by rambo View Post
cool, it may I suggest the following enhancements:

1. record accelometer data
2. be able to record as fast as data can be read (esp for accelometer sub-second resolution would be needed).
3. have some sort of "cli" mode where the raw data could be dumped via pipe for immediate transfer (think telemetry...)
4. barring 3. have a way to store "raw" data in something that can be sensibly queried (like sqlite) (and being able to put the datafile on the removable SD card since it's much faster than the internal eMMC)

see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53353
1 & 2. As you wrote it, logging such data (i.e. : accelerometer) would require much more higher precision frequencies and timestamps. This would implies a very different usage and design than GPS Recorder here !
The thread you've pointed out is very cool but it relates very different needs !

3. With all respect, I do not think it is relevant here because it would be really easier to wait for GPS data directly from the Maemo's GPS subsystem via the liblocation than a simple pipe from an application which would also eventually requires parsing and other exotic stuff ! But maybe I'm missing something ?

4. Yeah SQLite export feature seems to be a good idea ! I add it in my TODO list immediately
Regarding the storage place, it is already possible to modify the path of the output directory, as described in the FAQ. Sorry, this is a manual operation though...

The Following User Says Thank You to polyvertex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by polyvertex View Post
1 & 2. As you wrote it, logging such data (i.e. : accelerometer) would require much more higher precision frequencies and timestamps. This would implies a very different usage and design than GPS Recorder here !
The thread you've pointed out is very cool but it relates very different needs !
Well, you do 1/3 of the requirements already and adding accelometer data reading should not be much work (I don't know QT though). Being lazy here...

3. With all respect, I do not think it is relevant here because it would be really easier to wait for GPS data directly from the Maemo's GPS subsystem via the liblocation than a simple pipe from an application which would also eventually requires parsing and other exotic stuff ! But maybe I'm missing something ?
Some sort of application is needed to mux the GPS and accelometer data into single stream, it's not all that hard to do (if one goes for the very simplest one that just outputs to stdout and sending the data over network or other link would be handled by another small program [like netcat], toolbox philosophy...) but I have other projects that require my attention...

4. Yeah SQLite export feature seems to be a good idea ! I add it in my TODO list immediately
I was thinking more along the lines of using sqlite for the track log and exporting from there to other formats but for entirely selfish reasons...

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Espoo, Finland
Looks great, will try it as soon as it hits the repositories!

Originally Posted by rambo View Post
Well, you do 1/3 of the requirements already and adding accelometer data reading should not be much work (I don't know QT though). Being lazy here...

Some sort of application is needed to mux the GPS and accelometer data into single stream, it's not all that hard to do (if one goes for the very simplest one that just outputs to stdout and sending the data over network or other link would be handled by another small program [like netcat], toolbox philosophy...) but I have other projects that require my attention...

I was thinking more along the lines of using sqlite for the track log and exporting from there to other formats but for entirely selfish reasons...
Saying 1/3 of your requirements is already done in GPS Recorder is not a true statement...
This is a design issue : wanting to keep a GPS track from a day of hiking or an hour of motorcycle racing is absolutely not the same thing.
For hiking, you may want to keep position every 5 seconds or even minutes just to keep some waypoints here and there, but for racing, you may indeed want to record as much data as possible to have a consistent track data and even to gather some stats from it.
No matter what you say, this is just not the same purpose.

May I add that hardware and software of the Nokia's Nxx series was absolutely not designed for this 'realtime' purpose ?
If I strictly follow your state of mind, you may want higher GPS precision, so just don't rely on the TI GPS chip embedded into the N900 for example.
I also would not rely on the current software side because this is just not like reading a raw NMEA feed directly from the GPS chip and modifying an internal state while reading it...

I get your point about muxing needed data to get everything in a single stream.
This is indeed as easy as reading X,Y,Z data from a device and output it to a stream, but again : this is not the purpose of GPS Recorder !

I hope you will understand that all those realtime/telemetry features you are asking for are just out of topic.
Maybe this is because I was not clear enough in my description, or maybe this is because you did not take time to actually try the application I share before posting your 'requirements'.

Saying 1/3 of your requirements is already done in GPS Recorder is not a true statement...
You are absolutely right. It was an overly simplified statement (aka. "lies to children").

This is a design issue : wanting to keep a GPS track from a day of hiking or an hour of motorcycle racing is absolutely not the same thing.
No matter what you say, this is just not the same purpose.
True, OTOH for a GPS logger it should be rather simple to specify the sampling interval (adding the accelometer stuff is a completely different matter).

May I add that hardware and software of the Nokia's Nxx series was absolutely not designed for this 'realtime' purpose ?
The hardware is also too heavy and includes plenty of useless extra components and has way too powerfull processor, these are pointed out in the telemetry thread. The N900 definitely is not the best (or even all that good) solution to the problem but it would be a cool hack.

I hope you will understand that all those realtime/telemetry features
you are asking for are just out of topic.
Sure and I have no problem with it.

Maybe this is because I was not clear enough in my description, or maybe this is because you did not take time to actually try the application I share before posting your 'requirements'.
It was obvious that it's not meant to be a telemetry package but without knowing design details I cannot know how difficult exactly it would be to add those features. And if it was simple then a lot of the work would have been done already, then there would be no need to make yet-another-datalogger with different focus (though that would up the application count for those who have iPhone envy...)

I mean no disrespect nor am I demanding anything just throwing some ideas into the air. All the RC aircraft I have are way too small to carry the N900 anyway; though the motorcycle datalogging is an idea (but then I would need to figure out how to mount it [and not on the handlebars since steering would mess with the accelometer data...]).

Hi everyone,

For those who are interested, just a quick post to inform you that GPS Recorder is now available in the extras-devel package repository (package gpsrecorder)