Active Topics

Originally Posted by dvijetrecine View Post
i really don't have luck my phone boots when i connect it with the pc and then says that usb device is not recognised :S so i'm screwed :/
edit: it was faulty usb port that i'm using. now it's time for some estetic mods. i will post pics of my work when it will be finished
Same thing is happening here. but still could find where the fault ....need a little help here

HI, I'm totally freaked out coz when I connect n900 to PC it says USB not recognized!!!!!!! can anyone gimme the drivers for windows 7 (32bit)..............

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Italy
Originally Posted by lazart View Post
..there is the USB connection!!
I can confirm that the two pads marked as Data+ and Data- are working. I just flashed my device using them, 5V+ and GND.
The device was only recognized over USB while also the battery was attached. That's a little bit tricky if you have it open and wires to the pads connected, but it worked! YEAH I got my phone back ))
Could you please post some photos of your solution? My N900 usb pads are unrepairable and I have to use your solution. Thanks a lot.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Stuttgart/Germany
Originally Posted by blackjack4it View Post
Could you please post some photos of your solution? My N900 usb pads are unrepairable and I have to use your solution. Thanks a lot.
Hi, I'm sorry, that's long ago and I've bought a new broken n900, with working USB but broken display, repaired with the display of my old one

I can only describe what I did:

-solder two thin (that the battery still is insertable) wires onto the D+ and D- pads

-solder the other side on D+ and D- of a cut USB-cable

-plug the USB cable and put the battery in (maybe you can swap these steps)

-you phone should be recognized by your computer (for linux, see "tail -f /var/log/syslog") and ready to flash.

-after flashing, remove the wires and the solder on the pads with desoldering wick.

good luck!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazart For This Useful Post:
@lazart do you manually press the power button plus "u" with those 2 pads connected?

i tried it but not working. i also try GND, +5v, +data and -data it boots but i did not see the usb icon. i only see running scripts in dimmed screen then hangs.i read some few lines of the script i saw
boot reason:usb
boot state: act dead

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Stuttgart/Germany
Originally Posted by blitzlee06 View Post
@lazart do you manually press the power button plus "u" with those 2 pads connected?
Yes, regular flashing, I followed the instructions here: http://wiki.maemo.org/Reflash#Updati...ng_your_device

Originally Posted by blitzlee06 View Post
boot state: act dead
I've never heard of that, nothing found on the web. Maybe your USB-Port is to weak? But the needed current should come from the battery anyway..
Maybe you swapped D+ and D- ?

i got the same response from the phone if i connect the pads at the back with gnd +5v and using the usb port..the phone vibrates, nokia logo then running scripts then hang then steady orange led..

if i only use +data and -data, after pressing power+u it will boot then mulitboot menu showed up, if i select and item it will hang. i did not even see the usb icon while on nokia logo. i am also sure that i tap the correct wires.

ill post pics if i can borrow a cam.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Cebu Philippines, for now
Originally Posted by lazart View Post
some pictures..

1st: closed n900.

2nd: opened with battery, the grey wires are for charge (directly connected to the battery pins (not for USB!!), now obsolete because I have a wall wart charger and 2 batteries.

3rd: battery removed. the wires go to the USB pads.

I know, it looks awful but it works
Hi guys
first time poster here, and a noob at that,
well, my N900 suffered a different fate with practically the same result. i used my N900 daily at work in the M.E. and the battery doesnt last all day as we know. so i used a "good quality" 12V charger you plug into the cig lighter(i work as a crane operator). worked fine for about two months then the charger exploded. literally.
and now my N900's USB is totally unusable. i cant use it to transfer files or even charge it. and now i wanna flash my poor old N900 because of, stupid me, a botched NItdroid install. and i tried what messrs Lazart, Wonko... did to their N900 with the alternate USB connection.
i tried plugging it in, boots with an unlit screen with what looked like the Nitdroid bootup, then led glows orange and then the phone shuts down. thats when i felt the USB i plugged into the computer was WARM. i soldered all connections correctly as posted. is there something else wrong with my N900 circuitry wise?? gulp!!
Attached Images

1. Don't use battery - as ground. (green cable)

2. Why the hell, only 1 wire is connected to one of USB data lines (can't tell which one, photo is too small - white one)?! Where second cable is soldered (blue one)?

Overall, only red cable (+5V) and white one, looks like connected to good place (if it's connected to one pad only, no two of them at the same time). Warm port on N900 means some kind of short - which isn't good omen. I hope that You haven't killed Your N900 for good (or it's charging/USB chips)

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

1. Don't use battery - as ground. (green cable)

2. Why the hell, only 1 wire is connected to one of USB data lines (can't tell which one, photo is too small - white one)?! Where second cable is soldered (blue one)?

Overall, only red cable (+5V) and white one, looks like connected to good place (if it's connected to one pad only, no two of them at the same time). Warm USB cable means some kind of short - which isn't good omen. I hope that You haven't killed Your N900 for good (or it's charging/USB chips)

It's also possible, that Your exploding 12V charger shorted pins in USB port of N900 - testpad connection is just different route, so shorted pins in USB port also affect testpads.

Have You tried checking everything with multimeter?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
test points, usb port