Notices

Closed Thread
This is the thread to discuss the Canola2 Beta3 update that was released on February 8, 2008.
Read the full article.

It works pretty well for me on N800. I have a few comments.

1. "empty" genre should be deleted. I have a bunch of files with tags that canola can't read. For them, the genre shows as a number like (57) or (13). I'm working on my PC with tagtool to rewrite tags and i fixed most of them. Files now have correct genre, but my genre list in canola still has the mistakes. I can delete database file and rerun to fix. But i think canola should do it.

I wish there were a way to edit tags within the n800.

2. Can canola allow me to delete songs? Sometimes something I hate plays and I need to remove it. the built in music player allows it. canola should.

3. In the genre view, can you show artist and song? I have lots of versions of the same song and need to differentiate.

You should understand this. I don't use the cover art downloader. Most of my songs are mp3 that I created in the old days-one big directory of files, no tags or incomplete tags, no info on album. I saw tags as an evil RIAA conspiracy. It would not be possiible to reorganize everything in directories by album name.

5. I don't wannt playback to start so soon. In genre view, I wonder 'which is that' and when I choose to read more, then the song plays, but I did not want it to.

6. The canola diisplay is full screen. I find it very tough to navigate to other programs to get podcast addresses and paste them into canola.

7. Can you tell us how to remmove built in media player annd make canola default?

Thanks for the program.
PJ

just updated... where are the photos??????????

and... this should be a STICKY

Can someone explain me how the "Multiple album entries" work?

Oh, and the photocast doesn't work to me. It takes a life to load each picture...

I'm having difficulty getting it to subscribe to quite a few audio podcasts that work fine in other podcasting clients.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
It actually installed for me on the first try! Yay!

I'm also having a problem getting a podcast feed to show up; I added the URL for the RSS feed (ends with ?feed=rss2), and it correctly fetches the title of the podcast, but said there was nothing available.

A weird problem I noticed -- when using the N810's keyboard, I couldn't get the 'fn' or caps keys to work at all. This resulted in me having to pull up the onscreen keyboard in order to type in a URL, since I couldn't get a / or ? or = any other way...

Beta3 is still not working for me. This time I tried
Code:
# apt-get -f remove canola2
# apt-get remove libeet0 libevas0 libecore0 libembryo0 libdownloadmanager0
(reboot)
# apt-get install canola2
(reboot)
Still the same error

Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by sxm View Post
just updated... where are the photos??????????
Same problem Here...just wont show any pictures!!!

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Originally Posted by pauljohn32 View Post
It works pretty well for me on N800. I have a few comments.

1. "empty" genre should be deleted. I have a bunch of files with tags that canola can't read. For them, the genre shows as a number like (57) or (13). I'm working on my PC with tagtool to rewrite tags and i fixed most of them. Files now have correct genre, but my genre list in canola still has the mistakes. I can delete database file and rerun to fix. But i think canola should do it.
Hi, the refresh all didn't help with this?
Apart from that we will dive into the things you said.

I wish there were a way to edit tags within the n800.
I understand your need, but for now we don't have plans to do that. We focus first on consumption of your media. Managing it, should be (at least in our opinion) done where you whole media is located (your pc) with easier input etc.

2. Can canola allow me to delete songs? Sometimes something I hate plays and I need to remove it. the built in music player allows it. canola should.
While we do have plans to allow videos to be deleted (like the podcasts) we don't have plans to add it, but there's already a design to do that. Maybe in the future. (again : less features, not more features ) .. and we are not trying to do everything the media player does... that's is not the point..

3. In the genre view, can you show artist and song? I have lots of versions of the same song and need to differentiate.
Suggestion written, we will investigate this, but again, low priority.

You should understand this. I don't use the cover art downloader. Most of my songs are mp3 that I created in the old days-one big directory of files, no tags or incomplete tags, no info on album. I saw tags as an evil RIAA conspiracy. It would not be possiible to reorganize everything in directories by album name.
I understand =) And you should understand something :

1) we cannot fulfill everyone's dreams and needs. It's just impossible. It would be a mess of UI to allow people to do everything every single one wants. So before saying "Canola should ... canola should " why don't try the "Canola could.." "would it be nice if Canola", just to be as polite as we are with everyone =)

2) We cannot focus canola on one user's profile, and thus we have the painful job of choosing this that will not enter. Sorry, but it's just not possible to have everything.

BUT.. of course there's issues that are general, and maybe your problem will be solved in another way... if our additions planned solve them.. nice, if not we will not be able to add them. BUT you still have 2 last resorts:

a) if more people have the same need as you, there will be not only feature request, but someone is going to do a plugin to help this.

b) exercise your freedom, and search for a player that better fits your needs ( I really don't like this one : ) )

5. I don't wannt playback to start so soon. In genre view, I wonder 'which is that' and when I choose to read more, then the song plays, but I did not want it to.
Don't get me wrong =) But you write as we are developing canola just for you. Maybe is not your intention but sounds a little more "rude" than it should. Why don't you try

"Maybe the playback could take longer"...

Maybe the addition of more info like you said help this out, but we will not change the click -> play speed. Actually I would make it even faster if it was possible. less delay is the key

6. The canola diisplay is full screen. I find it very tough to navigate to other programs to get podcast addresses and paste them into canola.
The design only works because it's fullscreen. Thats a high price for a lot of people, but again, you can choose.

anyways I really don't see how is that difficult to just click on the home button on your n800 and click on the home menu to go back to any other application. 2 interactions! the same if there was control in the fullscreen button! one to minimize canola other to choose the application to go.

Hit home, the menu of open applications will appear choose the next app.

Why is that hard to do ?

7. Can you tell us how to remmove built in media player annd make canola default?
Sorry I don't think that is possible : /

Thanks for the program.
PJ
You're welcome, but bare in mind that Canola needs to be simple =)

Br

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Closed Thread