I managed to make the ping happen from n900 to my laptop. I am trying to use internet on n900 using the connection on my laptop. However, the sharing of internet connection is not working. I'm using Windows 7. I have a wireless network connection that my laptop is using, and a "Local Area Connection 2" "Linux USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget" connection also showing up. I right click the wireless connection (which has interner on it) and click properties and goto sharing tab to share stuff, but than I get a prompt saying that the "Local Area Connection 2" will be assigned 192.168.137.1 IP, there is no other option. This happens and no internet sharing works. Can anyone help plz? thanks.

Hi

I am trying to connect my laptop to my N900 GPRS connection using the DUN profile from the extra repo. I was able to get to the "registering on network" notification but it just hangs there and eventually disconnects, I keep retrying but no luck. Have this issue with both windows 7 and windows xp on my asus netbook. Any idea on what I can try? I use the *99# phone number to dial out and no username/pass needed for my connection...

Any idea wat I can try?

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
Hi

I am trying to connect my laptop to my N900 GPRS connection using the DUN profile from the extra repo. I was able to get to the "registering on network" notification but it just hangs there and eventually disconnects, I keep retrying but no luck. Have this issue with both windows 7 and windows xp on my asus netbook. Any idea on what I can try? I use the *99# phone number to dial out and no username/pass needed for my connection...

Any idea wat I can try?
Which carrier you're using?
I've used the DUN on both T-Mobile in USA and 3HK in Hong Kong, worked flawlessly.
But for T-Mobile, you need to add extra dial string to the modem
at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet2.voicestream.com"
(depends on your plan, it can also be wap.voicestream.com or internet3.voicestream.com)
You don't need dial string for 3HK.

Hi,
I am using Windows Vista and N900 mobile. I want to connect to internet in my mob using the net connection available on my PC.
Please help me on this. I tried quiet few things but didnt work....

Setting up the basic ad-hoc configuration in Vista, XP, and MacOS X is pretty easy and explained in this CNET video.

However, for me trying this on XP, this only got me to connect and getting to Google search web page. Nothing else works (app manager, other websites...). And it only works once - after a reconnect, only the physical connection works, not even google any more.

What helped me a little was to edit the connection details in the "advanced" section on the N900. In the "IP Addresses" tab, I disabled "Auto-retrieve IP address", then entered 192.168.0.2 as IP-address, 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask, and 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway.

I also entered the DNS addresses from the host computer's connection manually, as obtained by "ipconfig /all" in the host computer's dosbox.

Now ping, google, and IM like Jabber and Skype are working reliably, but I still can't get to other websites or use the application manager. Any ideas?

Last edited by mich; 2010-02-05 at 13:11. Reason: CNET video does not cover Windows 7

Originally Posted by omikron View Post
What i want to achieve is to use the internet on the n900, using my laptop's lan connection.

i tried by WiFi using an ad-hoc network but on windows 7 it seems to be very buggy and doesn't work anymore after you do it the first time.

can i do it through bluetooth or the usb connection?

i saw that pc suite can make it so that u connect your laptop to the internet using the phone's connection. i want to do it the other way around

any help much appreciated!
Instructions to browse web through latop (Windows XP) on N900:

1. Go into Control panel
2. Open “Network Connections”
3. Right click on "Wireless Connection" and click on "Properties"
4. Click on the "Wireless Networks" tab and select the check-box which says “Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings”
5. Under “Prefered networks” click “Add”
6. Type a name in “Network name” text box
7. Select “Shared” from the options under “Network Authentication”
8. Under Data encryption select “WEP” and type in your password in “Network Key” field and now click "OK"
9. Now the new HotSpot should show in the list of preferred networks.
10. Click on the “Advance” button and select “Computer-to-computer (ad hoc) networks only" and press close
11. Hit “OK”, we are done with the wireless connection properties

Open Network Connections again and share the connection which goes to the internet.

Now on Nokia N900 configure following:
  1. Enter the Settings Menu and Open "Internet Connections" under Connectivity.
  2. Tap "connections" button.
  3. Create a new Connection by tapping "new"
  4. Tap "Next"
  5. Give it a name "AdHocInternet" for example
  6. Tap "Next"
  7. Tap "no" if it asks if you want to scan for WLAN Networks
  8. Enter the SSID you entered for the AdHoc connection in Windows
  9. uncheck "Network is hidden"
  10. select adhoc from "network mode" dropdown box
  11. select wep security method and then tap next
  12. enter your wep key into "wep key1" tap next
  13. now you're in the "connection: setup complete" screen. tap advanced if you have a proxy and enter it accordingly.
  14. tap save on the "connection: setup complete" screen and voila

connect n900 to that adhoc network and you can access the internet via your laptop. if you set a proxy you'll have to enter your username and password.

any questions ask me via pm, will make some screenshots shortly too

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MRyant For This Useful Post:
Thanks MRyant, these are exactly the steps leading to a physical connection for me, but nothing else. Does it work for you to download apps via this connection, for example? Or POP3 email?

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by mich View Post
Thanks MRyant, these are exactly the steps leading to a physical connection for me, but nothing else. Does it work for you to download apps via this connection, for example? Or POP3 email?
Hi,

In order to get internet connectivity from this "ad-hoc" connection - you should allow what is called "Internet Connection Sharing" on your windows PC.
This is supported on windows since WIN98-SE and on, and has gotten to be much simpler since windows XP and on.

To allow sharing of your internet connection :
1. Locate the network interface which actually connects you to the internet. Lets say it is "Network connection 1"
2. Right click it in the "Manage interfaces / adapters" or however it is called (depends on what windows you are using), and enable the "Share this connection with other..."
3. If you have more then 2 network interfaces, will be asked to indicate to which interface you would like to share this connection, choose your "Wireless interface". HIt ok.
4. Connect your PC to the internet, establish the ad-hoc network between you n900 and the PC, make sure DHCP is enabled on your n900, (if you don't know what it is, then it is probably already in DHCP mode, as it is default).

You should now have internet, both on PC and n900, providing the PC is on.

The Following User Says Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:
Thanks MRyan - this step by step approach works perfectly. I can now hook up my N900 to the internet via my laptop for downloading mail when it is hooked into a LAN. I do not need to incur the same level of cost and the speed is much faster. This is particularly useful when you are in a poor mobile signal area.

Originally Posted by TH3ORY View Post
OK Which apps have you got on the N900 is the Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking app installed ? if not then install it and try again let me no how you got on Thanks.... P.S can you tell me the Bluetooth Dongle model number.... Thanks

App Link

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/M...bluetooth-dun/

Thanks I think it was my bluetooth dongle(Trendnet TBW101-UB v2) which did not have drivers for windows 7. I've got a new one(iogear) a couple of days ago and it works.