Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
You can customize the look of POIs by using PNG or JPEG icons. Simply place an icon file in the same directory as your POI database file, where the filename is the same as the name of a POI category or the label of an individual POI, and give it the "jpg" extension (even if it is a PNG). Maemo Mapper will use that icon instead of the purple square. See this ITT thread for more details, or search the forums for other icons.
I'd suggest adding this to the help file. I had to work to find this answer.

Great application!

Originally Posted by seamusbleu View Post
I'd suggest adding this to the help file. I had to work to find this answer.

Great application!
Good idea. It's kind of an advanced feature that few ever use, but it's worth adding a section in the help file anyway.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Wow - that's great. didn't know you could do that. I have a load of different poi catagories for the UK which I used with my garmin. I'll see about converting them and posting them somewhere for people to access. Maemo Mapper amazes me everytime I use it. I've been checking to see if I could find a UK traffic alerts feed which would be parsed into something MM could use.

Gaz

I'm seeing a problem with MM 2.3. It seems to fail to exit properly, and I have to do a cold reboot before I can start it again after exiting. It happens every time on my N800. Turning it off while charging won't do it - I have to take it off charge, turn it off, and reboot getting the blue line crawling across the bottom before it will run again. It has crashed a couple of times requiring removing the battery. Downloading maps seems to do that, but I'm not sure. The requirement to reboot after exiting is repeatable, though, at least on mine.

Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
I'm seeing a problem with MM 2.3. It seems to fail to exit properly, and I have to do a cold reboot before I can start it again after exiting. It happens every time on my N800. Turning it off while charging won't do it - I have to take it off charge, turn it off, and reboot getting the blue line crawling across the bottom before it will run again. It has crashed a couple of times requiring removing the battery. Downloading maps seems to do that, but I'm not sure. The requirement to reboot after exiting is repeatable, though, at least on mine.
What os are u using? I am having this same problem too. but only sometimes. if u use the osso cpu monitor u can see maemo mapper still there taking up ram after exit. i am surprised no one here mentioned about this. in the meantime my work around is to use cpu monitor to kill maemomapper if it improperly exits. beats having to reboot everytime.

Last edited by jimmyh; 2008-01-17 at 09:59.

OS2008, on an N800. I'll try the cpu monitor. Anyone know the official place for bug reports for MM?

Found the bug reports on the project page in Maemo Garage, I'm assuming that's the official site. Lots of reports there, none seem to have been addressed, at least in writing there. I hope this one gets fixed, because I'm probably not going to use it again until it is. I have no idea what's going on while it's running after it's supposed to be killed. I also don't want to have to do a cold reboot every time I run it.

I tried to install the cpu monitor, but it seems to be for older OS only, it won't install on 2008.

Last edited by sgosnell; 2008-01-17 at 18:38.

Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
I have no idea what's going on while it's running after it's supposed to be killed. I also don't want to have to do a cold reboot every time I run it.
Maemo Mapper uses threads for downloading maps. If those threads don't exit, then Maemo Mapper doesn't exit. Sometimes, those threads can seem to hang for a while if they are trying to get map data from a server that is not responding.

There may also be a bug in the thread exit logic - I'll look into it. Or, I can try to kill the threads manually (not sure what kind of resources that might leave open, though).

And yes, the garage site is the right place for reporting bugs. There are a lot of fixed bugs, too, they just aren't displayed by default.

OK, thanks for the explanation. I look forward to getting the thread exit issue fixed. And I was assuming that the garage bug report site just wasn't getting updated, even if the bugs have been fixed. It would be nice to see the actual current status, but I realize there are higher priorities.

I have installed and uninstalled Maemo Mapper a few times and keep returning to the default Wayfinder app, crippled as it is. Even though I can appreciate how capable Maemo Mapper is, there is something about the interface that annoys me.

I use the map application is mostly when I'm traveling by bike or public transport through, to find the nearest shop that sells x, or when I'm lost in an unfamiliar city. I know I should read the manual etc. but when I have to find out the difference between 'tap point' 'waypoint' 'route point' ,'break' and 'mark' or the difference between a 'track' and a 'route' my attention is gone.

I would ideally like to select an area of the map, instead of entering coordinates, preload the maps in that area, with a dialog showing me how much diskpace is left. Then quickly find an address, not so much a route.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-01-19 at 21:42.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
I would ideally like to select an area of the map, instead of entering coordinates, preload the maps in that area, with a dialog showing me how much diskpace is left. Then quickly find an address, not so much a route.
Just frame the area and download away.