Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
Note that it is currently possible to subscribe to a subforum (e.g. "Community") via RSS. Re: threads, you can click "Thread Tools" and "Subscribe to Thread" and then visit your Control Panel to see when these threads are updated. Not quite the same as RSS to a thread, but better in some respects as you can reasonably subscribe to dozens or even hundreds of threads.
It's not quite subscription - you get new threads, not new posts, or even "updated threads". Plus, there are about 10 or 12 subforums now - that makes a lot of feeds...

Plus, when I subscribe to a thread, I only get the first unread post to the thread sent to me - I don't know of a way to get an email for every post to a thread.

Cheers,
Dave.

Originally Posted by dneary View Post
It's not quite subscription - you get new threads, not new posts, or even "updated threads".
I don't personally mind this limitation. If I cared about an old thread, I would subscribe to it.

Plus, when I subscribe to a thread, I only get the first unread post to the thread sent to me - I don't know of a way to get an email for every post to a thread.

Cheers,
Dave.
I just go to the thread in the forum to read it. I would guess full email or RSS support is mostly for people who want to create their own interface to the forum, right? Otherwise... it's pretty common for a thread to have more than a hundred posts. That could easily clog up an RSS reader or email inbox.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
I think it would be nice to have sticky posts(similuar to sticky threads). It can be very usefull for threads that have proposal or announcement. So OP's first would be displayed at top doesn't matter which thread page you are at. And he would update only it
Some of announcement of apps thread have over 300 posts and you need to make search thru whole thread or go back to the first page to find up to date info (or new screenies :P ) everytime.
Same with brainstorm. I would like to have proposal and updates of current status on the top of any page in relevant thread.

Based on the meeting, here are the proposed/pending changes for Talk, and my comments about them:
  • SSO via CAS
  • Allow thread creators to change subject line
  • Enable email to forum bridge
  • Add RSS feeds of posts per thread, and per forum (currently the RSS feed is "new threads in forum")

SSO via CAS:
I can code an SSO vB plugin once the CAS is up and running. Note that while TMO is not included in the proposed SSO architecture diagram, I did add vBulletin's user table's structure at the SSO LDAP page (link) more than a year ago (see history). I have just been waiting for something concrete to work on, with regards to SSO.

Allow thread creators to change subject line:
Done. I don't think anyone should be able to update the thread title for a 5 year old thread for example. Right now I've set it up to 1 year. Note that this can become a problem. Members who search for threads based on title may not find them anymore since the author of the thread keeps changing the title.

Enable email to forum bridge:
Let's revisit this once forum.meego.com is off the same server as talk.maemo.org (this should happen in a few months). Emailing thousands of users for every new post will surely have a big effect on the server. If we really want to implement this efficiently, we should consider using a different dedicated email server to send and receive the emails.

Add RSS feeds of posts per thread, and per forum (currently the RSS feed is "new threads in forum")
This, I'm a bit hesitant of implementing. Actually, I'm not sure why we need it. It's like asking for an RSS feed for all your emails, when you can just read your emails via an email client. If it is being requested as a workaround for the email to forum bridge, then if the bridge is implemented, do we really need the RSS feed per post?

Thanks.

Last edited by Reggie; 2010-06-05 at 06:34.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Hi Reggie,

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Based on the meeting, here are the proposed/pending changes for Talk, and my comments about them:
Thanks Reggie, good to see your comments!

Hopefully I can answer some of your questions (although of course I can't speak for others).

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Enable email to forum bridge:
Let's revisit this once forum.meego.com is off the same server as talk.maemo.org (this should happen in a few months). Emailing thousands of users for every new post will surely have a big effect on the server. If we really want to implement this efficiently, we should consider using a different dedicated email server to send and receive the emails.
Do you have any numbers on the effect on the server, Reggie? On the email to forum bridge, how many people signed up for it, how many emails were sent, etc? I can understand you're hesitant, but I'd really like this to go live for at least the community forum, and see how it works. It can always be reverted if the load is too heavy.

Add RSS feeds of posts per thread, and per forum (currently the RSS feed is "new threads in forum")
This, I'm a bit hesitant of implementing. Actually, I'm not sure why we need it. It's like asking for an RSS feed for all your emails, when you can just read your emails via an email client. If it is being requested as a workaround for the email to forum bridge, then if the bridge is implemented, do we really need the RSS feed per post?
It seems like it would not be difficult to do it.

The point is, if someone is interested in a forum, right now they must visit the forum to be notified of and read new posts. If it were possible to easily add an RSS feed for a thread or for a forum, then why not? Another way for people to consume the forum.

Cheers,
Dave.

I can understand you're hesitant, but I'd really like this to go live for at least the community forum, and see how it works. It can always be reverted if the load is too heavy.
Yes, we can definitely try it out.

It seems like it would not be difficult to do it.

The point is, if someone is interested in a forum, right now they must visit the forum to be notified of and read new posts. If it were possible to easily add an RSS feed for a thread or for a forum, then why not? Another way for people to consume the forum.
The forum doesn't support it out of the box so I have to code something to support it. It will not be straightforward if we intend to provide the option to specify feeds for a specific thread, specific forum, a parent forum including its sub-forums, and all forums.

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:

Tags
brainstorm, community, maemo