Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Yes, as a temporary fix I accept that there was/is need for android support, but it has backfired badly IMO.

As @gerbick says it was meant to smooth the way to full native application environment which has not materialized as planned.

The current problem is that the support is dated which means that such people who want to use Android applications cannot get the latest versions to work, which again pisses them off badly and generates bad feelings to all.

The Android layer also seems to generate most bug reports on TJC, which leads people to believe that SFOS is in worse shape than it actually is.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Yes, hundred billion houseflies cannot be wrong; $hit is tasty indeed.
That's a nice reverse fallacy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Yes, as a temporary fix I accept that there was/is need for android support, but it has backfired badly IMO.

As @gerbick says it was meant to smooth the way to full native application environment which has not materialized as planned.

The current problem is that the support is dated which means that such people who want to use Android applications cannot get the latest versions to work, which again pisses them off badly and generates bad feelings to all.

The Android layer also seems to generate most bug reports on TJC, which leads people to believe that SFOS is in worse shape than it actually is.
Actually

Can we strip the UI completely and boot straight to bash, would fit me

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Actually

You'll need some sort of UI unless you have a hardware keyboard.

I have Arch Linux running in terminal-only mode on my n900, and it sure is snappy.

The Following User Says Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
On a phone? Or on a device that you'd use differently?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
On a phone? Or on a device that you'd use differently?
Why not, hm?
As you'd of course have console phone application running in one screen instance for example.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Why not, hm?
As you'd of course have console phone application running in one screen instance for example.
Hey people get out of my dream! it's getting too crowded here

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Why not, hm?
That's how I know that many people actually don't use smartphones as a phone, but as a replacement pocket computer and would rather communicate in other ways that the terminal would suffice.

If that's the case, why not actually target what you really want. It's not an UI, but a general purpose device that's terminal based mostly and has a keyboard. And then try to sell that to a niche within a niche.

Good luck with that.

Sorry, even as a prior life server administrator, being in the command line 100% of my day, even trying to answer an incoming phone call via terminal, no thanks.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Sorry, even as a prior life server administrator, being in the command line 100% of my day, even trying to answer an incoming phone call via terminal, no thanks.
It would be nice to use SIGHUP and nohup with relevant meaning for once

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jellyroll View Post
They robbed two people yesterday for hunting down Pokemon on their cellphones.
Well, that was quick:
http://thenochill.com/teen-killed-wh...ng-pokemon-go/

(not really: http://www.inquisitr.com/3300730/pok...-rare-pokemon/)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post: