Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
... But if I were lefthanded, some tools would seem hard to me to use and others (lefthanded scissors) would seem natural.
"Ruby: The left-handed Python". I like that!

No, just kidding. I was just surprised to see someone describing Python as non-intuitive, as my five-year romance with Python has been nothing but joy. And I admit I've only had minor exposure to Ruby.

Originally Posted by freeman View Post
My offline time are usually involve reading fetched rss stuff.
But one thing I would rather have is built in "save webpage for offline" in the menu
somewhere in the browser.
it would be great if someone portded wwwoffled proxy to
770/800, so that you could browse offline all pages visited online from the cache.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by RogerS
Why I don't want to synch[...]
Roger, you do want to sync, you just don't want to sync with a master PC. Neither do I, I want to sync with the network - however you do want to sync:

Then every morning (and afternoon), the stuff I want to look at would be grabbed, streamlined and made ready for me to read on the train.
The point we need to make (and we agree on) is that there are valid use cases for these "Internet" Tablets without an Internet connection.

Cheers,

Andrew

It's been a long time since I tried Plucker, but I'm certain that I didn't use a Plucker GUI - there was a command line utility that did it all, after I had set up an initial .html file which described what I wanted Plucker to download.
A command line version of Plucker should hopefully not be difficult to get running on the N800/770, unlike a wxwindows version.

(As for Python, it's not for me either. I stopped using position-dependent code with Fortran 66, and I'm not going back - but there are other reasons too. Ruby I could do, I think. But I really need Perl! )

>The point we need to make (and we agree on) is that there are valid use cases for these "Internet" Tablets without an Internet connection.

Indeed!

Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
I found Python unintelligible in my two attempts to learn it
WOW. I have never heard anyone say that in my life. I have found python to be the easiest language that I have ever used.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I actually just received my first 2 Python books from Amazon last week. As an old VB (and Pascal, and Lisp) programmer, I'm not too keen on the odd syntax (looks too much like C at first glance, which I despise)... but I intend to swallow hard, grit my teeth and teach myself anyway. Prayers appreciated.

Even though the syntax is different, Python is a lot like Scheme. Once you get past the syntax, you'll be fine. If you want, think of the tab key as open-paren

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by bugnotme View Post
I am very interested in this. I was planning to do something similar when I got my hands on an N800. Was it designed for desktops or the Nokia tablet specifically? Is it a new RSS reader interface as well?
Right now it is a terminal application, so it's not designed for either =) I'm planning to fit it really tightly to the maemo platform, as that is it's main intended use. But hopefully I can program it in such a modular way that people can use it on their desktops too.

Right now the main problem is displaying HTML in a hildon gui programmed with Python. There's libgtkhtml, but no python bindings. And I'm not going to redo this in C. In the terminal, I just format the html through links(1).

And fetching the www-pages for offline reading is an interesting idea as well. But it doesn't work really well for, say, Slashdot, where the real content isn't pointed to via the feed.

When it's ready, it can be found at http://paul.totterman.name/maemo.html

BR,
Paul Tötterman

The Nokia is a powerful device with a network connection. I would like to be able to run an app from the device itself to have it grab a bunch of web pages to an offline directory. That way I sync what I want to read offline whenever I happen to have a connection.

There is great web site slurping tool called pavuk that I've used in the past. It can take a url and copy down the whole page to an offline directory, changing image paths, etc, so the whole page can be read offline. It is very configurable and intelligent and includes both command line and X windows based modes.

I downloaded a copy into a Maemo Sandbox, and it compiles and runs without a hitch, even the X version. While this could probably be put onto a Nokia as is, some work could be done to make this a Hildon app. I have never attempted this before, nor have I touched C in a few years, but it would make a cool project. It is also a very powerful program, and could probably use a simple mode that handles most sites well.

http://pavuk.sourceforge.net/

Hi, I wrote a distiller that pulls down content (rss feeds + weather + news sites) and distils it into pdb format.

You can get it at http://simonvc.googlepages.com/thedailypluck

I heard it has some problems with the N800 (but works on my N770)

Good Luck
Simon