Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Hi has anyone tried to run Ångström Linux in a Chroot? The Open Pandora handheld is very similar to the N900 and running this in a Chroot or even dualbooting(MER or something) it would provide working PSX and N64 emulators for the N900... in theory

http://www.angstrom-distribution.org
http://www.open-pandora.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(console)

Just to make somethings clear:
The Open Pandora handheld console runs a slightly modified Ångström (hosted on the Ångström link above). I'm personally debating on buying one, but their in waiting que to be assembled and shipped now, but I still would like to have the open pandora compiled programs running on my phone never the less.

Last edited by Siggen; 2010-05-23 at 19:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Siggen For This Useful Post:
My boss has pre-ordered one of these devices some time ago.

I'll let you know what I think of it when his finally arrives.

If someone could get a copy of the official OS release for that device I'm sure someone could get a dual boot going.

The only thing it might need is some kernel patches maybe, and probably the drivers from firmware in the N900 OS installation??

You can use this tool to get a custom build:
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/narcissus/

I requested one, lets see how this gets

The Following User Says Thank You to giannoug For This Useful Post:
Yeap, success.

It's easy to mount but I don't know how to start a Xephyr and load XFCE. Maybe Qole can help us

The Following User Says Thank You to giannoug For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by giannoug View Post
Yeap, success.

It's easy to mount but I don't know how to start a Xephyr and load XFCE. Maybe Qole can help us
What alternatives did you choose?
I'm requesting one now, and im choosing ext2, udev and enlightenment?

I prefer gnome, but i think enlightenment is going to use less resources... Well I guess that if we can just run the programs within hildon it would run the fastest but that might not work to well... what environment does the Pandora ship with?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
If you want to see how I start Xephyr and LXDE in Easy Debian, look at the /usr/bin/xephwm5 script in my Easy Debian image. Basically, you have to start up Xephyr, change the DISPLAY to :1 and start up the desktop environment of your choice.

I'd be interested in seeing Pandora software run on the N900 too!

This would be so cool. I hope it will improve the quantity and quality of games on n900

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
You want to play Pandora games?

Port and install the Pandora libraries and you can play them right now.
You don't need angstrom.

libpnd can be ported, the developers have told me themselves.
Port the library, run the .PND apps. Done.

It will not be as good on N900 due to the lack of controls.

@ giannoug:

Could you please help me by letting me know what you did to get Angstrom to mount in chroot?
Do you have a link to all steps you have taken?

I'm pretty sure I can get hold of the official Open Pandora Angstrom build, or just download one of the link you did. I would like to try and do it as well. More just because I can

THANK YOU!

Last edited by kingoddball; 2010-05-27 at 04:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Has anyone tried to compile the libpnd with the maemo toolchain?
where can i get the source for lubpnd?

EDIT:
okay here is the answer to my last question

Code:
git clone git://git.openpandora.org/pandora-libraries.git
Without going into how to set up a GIT, the summary that the pandora wiki used was:

Code:
mkdir libpnd
cd libpnd
git init
git remote add libpnd ssh://foo@git.openpandora.org/srv/git/pandora-libraries.git
git pull libpnd master
more info on the lib (getting, building and using the lib as a dev) here. Im gonna look into it my self, but thats after i set up my environment again (soon).

Last edited by Siggen; 2010-05-30 at 09:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to Siggen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Siggen View Post
What alternatives did you choose?
I'm requesting one now, and im choosing ext2, udev and enlightenment?

I prefer gnome, but i think enlightenment is going to use less resources... Well I guess that if we can just run the programs within hildon it would run the fastest but that might not work to well... what environment does the Pandora ship with?
Sorry for the late reply. I don't remember exactly what I chose. I remember choosing XFCE as the window manager because I've run it with Mer and had no problems.

Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
@ giannoug:

Could you please help me by letting me know what you did to get Angstrom to mount in chroot?
Do you have a link to all steps you have taken?

I'm pretty sure I can get hold of the official Open Pandora Angstrom build, or just download one of the link you did. I would like to try and do it as well. More just because I can

THANK YOU!
Sorry for the late reply! Well, all I did is was name change to the image I downloaded. Nothing more as I didn't have time

Tags
Ångström