Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
I am just a noob that would like to learn how to port mainly ubuntu programs to maemo5. I my self have been using Ubuntu since 2006 and feel it could be nice to port som programs of it. Mainly i want gimp right now. I have been looking arround but not found a good source of information. Do someone know of such a source?

Or should i discontinue my quest because it's too hard?

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
It's not ubuntu but debian. But it should be pretty close to what you are asking for: http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
I am just a noob that would like to learn how to port mainly ubuntu programs to maemo5. I my self have been using Ubuntu since 2006 and feel it could be nice to port som programs of it. Mainly i want gimp right now. I have been looking arround but not found a good source of information. Do someone know of such a source?
As always the answer is "it depends", the major problem is usually the user interface, what works on desktop usually does not work on handhelds.

Gimp as a specific example, I saw that someone had got it running on N900 somehow (I think using "easy debian"), the search function will likely reveal a few threads on it.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Mainly i want gimp right now.
Gimp and many others already run in easy debian. Making a port with a native maemo5 feel would require a huge amount of UI rework... if it were easy, it would probably have been already done.

Yeah.. i am already using eays debian and are using Gimp through there.

But the question was not just about Gimp. I just said Gimp as i have an idea about the UI. It was Porting my primarily question was about. I want to lern how to Port.

It was Porting my primarily question was about. I want to lern how to Port.
http://tinyurl.com/yfrra5m

Search is your friend, the Maemo5 developer guide has a whole section on porting.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
It was Porting my primarily question was about. I want to lern how to Port.
Get the source code, try to compile with the Maemo SDK. If it works, you're done. If not, then get and compile the required dependencies, re-implement any incompatible code and try to compile again... and again...

Sounds pretty straight forward.

I even tried that approach for a program once.. I solved one dependency need regarding python-wxwidgets.. but it also needed resolvconf which meant to update coreutils. That made the device unstable and i reflashed.

Thanks for the replies