Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I'm wondering about running google mobile apps (the cell phone versions of their web apps) on chinook. Especially since chinook has the Mozilla/Firefox based browser, running on gecko... which is java based. So, I'm wondering if chinook has a full java runtime environment or not.

Anyone have any light to shed on this?

1) Does chinook have a full java runtime?
2) Are the google mobile apps (gmail, calendar, docs) java based?
3) Will the google mobile apps run on chinook? either generically via java, or through some more direct integration and support from google?

I think this would completely address all of my thoughts/concerns about an "office" suite for the ITs.

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Southampton, UK
I doubt chinook has a full java runtime as Nokia would have played this up as a big bonus of the new N810. Also I don't believe any mozilla based browser requires any form of java, though java plugins can be installed to provide java support on web apps. As far as I am aware there is no java binary available compiled for the IT series.

Also I don't believe any mozilla based browser requires any form of java, though java plugins can be installed to provide java support on web apps.
Firefox and Thunderbird are based on the gecko runtime, which uses java. Thus my musing about "firefox based browser might imply java".

As far as I am aware there is no java binary available compiled for the IT series.
http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Mobile...tformsNokia800

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Rather than see a link, how about a rreport from someone who has done it?

When I get my N810, if it doesn't have any kind of java support in it, then I'll try it on my N800, and post here about the results.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Firefox and Thunderbird are based on the gecko runtime, which uses java. Thus my musing about "firefox based browser might imply java".
Not true, I'm afraid - as was stated above, neither Firefox nor Thunderbird require Java at any point. Besides, we've got a beta of the same Gecko based browser on the N800 and 770 at the moment: still no proper Java.

The updated Gtk+ in Chinook should make porting Java easier, however; but how long we'll have to wait, I dunno.

I think we'll see it ... the hardware is more than ready to deal with it

The updated gtk+ has nothing to do with java.

Why use the mobile apps? You can use the normal apps in the mozilla browser.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Noneus View Post
The updated gtk+ has nothing to do with java.
Not directly. But maybe porting Java, or better said porting the AWT classes of Classpath, is easier with an up to date GTK+.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Originally Posted by peterjb31 View Post
As far as I am aware there is no java binary available compiled for the IT series.
There are indeed several JVMs compiled for the IT series. Check out the thread HERE for some papers that students and I wrote on this very subject.

Java implementations are not perfect and are not the complete environment you might find on a desktop PC. But they are very functional and do indeed support things like JNI, Bluetooth, and even Swing.

So...while there is no official, fully supported JVM from Nokia, there are plenty of them available from 3rd parties.

-- Mike