Active Topics

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Just a simple thing about the iphone, jailbroken or not... can you ssh into it?
I thought so case closed.

Yes, that's a screen shot from my phone. SSH, VNC, etc. Is it as open as Maemo is? NO. But can you SSH into it and access the file directory and tinker? Yes, with ease.

UPDATE: http://iphonemonsta.com/how-ssh-iphone-why-ssh-iphone

That article is 2 years old.

Last edited by xxxxts; 2012-10-24 at 06:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
The arguments being made for the N900/Maemo are very poor in my opinion.

I don't think anyone is going to be able to name a feature that is needed in a mobile device that the iPhone lacks that the N900 possess.

iPhone 3GS vs N900, I would choose the N900 - but it's still 50/50 simply due to the amount of third party applications and products.

iPhone 4S (jailbroken) - No contents winner. It can do every single [practical] thing an N900 can do, only much faster and in a much more practical fashion. There is no debate.

If you want to bring up the lack of a psychical keyboard, go out and buy the case with one in it. However I adapted to the touch screen keyboard in less than a week and I am now much more proficient with it than I am was with the N900's keyboard.

The argument can be made about resistive vs. captive touch screens. How many N900 applications really use that technology in a practical way?

Can I obtain a terminal from my iPhone from my iPhone, yes. I can. Does it do me much good? Not really. Do I have full access over my file directory? Yes, using iFile (jailbreak app). Once again does it do me much good, no.

Going through my N900 - which has been loaded with basically every application that was worth having, the iPhone dominates it in every single category. Social networking/social media, navigation, translation, dictionary, voice control, graphic and movie editing (on the device), educational and mathematical tools, internet browsing (there is Chrome on iOS now), etc.

I can't control my regular TV using IR, however I can control my Google TV with the Google TV app. but lets be practical, who ever really used the N900's IR?

The iPhone simple gets things done. Banking, social networking, photo sharing, handling multimedia, etc.

In my personal opinion the OS is outdated, widgets can be added to the home screen using a jailbreak tweak, however I don't really care to do it.

The N900 is a hackers/tinkers delight, however I challenge anyone to make the argument that it is more practical than an iPhone 4S. I have owned an N900 for a very long time and I love the N900, but there is no debate to be had - it can do anything the N900 can do, only around five times as fast and more efficiently.

It does lack soul. I will not debate that for a second. It is not open, no one is going to even try to debate that. But you cannot be serious when you say, "The N900 is more practical" or "I can do more with the N900" - because that is simply just not true anymore. I would love to hear someone challenge this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ United States
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
It saddens me I can never go back to a world without iCloud (taking a photo/video and automatically having it on desktop when I walk though my front door)
With some basic linux knowledge and networking, you can replicate "iCloud". I have all my photos/videos/documents (really: everything) synced with my fileserver at home. I can then access any content from the device on any of my other machines over a secure VPN.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndrewX192 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
N900 is great if you need social connectivity as open windows allow one to communicate with great ease. It has a great keyboard. The web am colors are good. Email much better than N9. However it's slow, requires reboots even with CSSU instal and is bulky, and connectivity can't compare with iPhone 4S. For an average Joe, iPhone4S wins hands down.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
The arguments being made for the N900/Maemo are very poor in my opinion.

I don't think anyone is going to be able to name a feature that is needed in a mobile device that the iPhone lacks that the N900 possess.
I suspect you've pretty much nailed it there -- we're talking about the definition of a "mobile device" here. The iPhone apparently has satisfied all your needs for a mobile device. There are those of us who have a different set of desires for a mobile device; you may not want what we want, but don't sell us short just for having a different opinion.

iPhone 4S (jailbroken) - No contents winner. It can do every single [practical] thing an N900 can do, only much faster and in a much more practical fashion. There is no debate.
Sure there's still a debate. Do you want a media player and a lot of apps? Go with iPhone. Do you want a computer in your pocket? The N900 will still work better for you, especially if you already use Linux on your desktop. On Linux, I edit my files in vim running in a shell -- when I transfer them to my N900, I can continue editing them in a shell in vim. My desktop environment and my phone environment are identical. For me, that ability is priceless...

Social networking/social media, navigation, translation, dictionary, voice control, graphic and movie editing (on the device), educational and mathematical tools, internet browsing (there is Chrome on iOS now), etc.
Busybox, shell scripts, the ability to run full desktop Linux programs, heck -- the ability to access the entire system within the Linux paradigm. Full access to device drivers. Normal multitasking (even using the classic fork()/exec() mechanism)! Full support for any programming language, be it C, C++, Python, whatever.

For some people, this beats any number of media or internet apps.

I can't control my regular TV using IR, however I can control my Google TV with the Google TV app. but lets be practical, who ever really used the N900's IR?
And yeah, this quote is why I decided to write this post. I don't know if you've seen it, but I went ahead and wrote a little N900 app called Pierogi. There are a fair number of folks using it, I think. As of last count I've got, let's see... 569 active ir keysets in it. Each one of those keysets can potentially control dozens of different models of devices. Not just TVs, but VCRs, DVDs, Blue rays, cable and satellite set-top boxes of many different stripes and colors, as well as stereo components, radios, air conditioners, cameras, and (if I can ever get the next update completed) a decent collection of projectors as well. Controls are semantically grouped into a series of tabbed panels. It can remember your favorite devices (and you can quickly switch between those favorites as needed). There's now a "power key search" feature, which you can also use as an improvised "TV-B-Gone" if you like. I'm working on adding macro capability to it, as well as keyboard support...

Anyway, it's something you might want to check out some time.

The N900 is a hackers/tinkers delight, however I challenge anyone to make the argument that it is more practical than an iPhone 4S. I have owned an N900 for a very long time and I love the N900, but there is no debate to be had - it can do anything the N900 can do, only around five times as fast and more efficiently.
I owned an iPhone for four years before I switched to the N900. The apps were glorious, beautiful, amazing, and ultimately, completely unnecessary to my lifestyle. I ended up using it as nothing more than a phone that I occasionally used to browse the net or read email. When I want to use social media, when I want to play games, when I want to do anything serious, I usually just make my way to a real desktop computer to do it.

The N900 was a revelation when I found it. With Maemo, I can transition almost seamlessly from my desktop environment to my portable environment -- all the same tools are available in both places, and there is no barrier to communication or transfer of data between mobile device and desktop computer. Honestly, the thing is a pocket computer, in a way that the iPhone never will be...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Yes, that's a screen shot from my phone. SSH, VNC, etc. Is it as open as Maemo is? NO. But can you SSH into it and access the file directory and tinker? Yes, with ease.
With jailbroken? i dont think all of those available before jailbreak

Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
With jailbroken? i dont think all of those available before jailbreak
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Just a simple thing about the iphone, jailbroken or not... can you ssh into it?
I thought so case closed.
Point? N900 is 600MHz until you void the warranty. I am more of an N900 guy than an iPhone guy (meaning my emotions run much deeper for the N900 than the iPhone) but if you want to say "the iPhone does not SSHd" - that is simply not true.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I suspect you've pretty much nailed it there -- we're talking about the definition of a "mobile device" here. The iPhone apparently has satisfied all your needs for a mobile device. There are those of us who have a different set of desires for a mobile device; you may not want what we want, but don't sell us short just for having a different opinion.

Sure there's still a debate. Do you want a media player and a lot of apps? Go with iPhone. Do you want a computer in your pocket? The N900 will still work better for you, especially if you already use Linux on your desktop. On Linux, I edit my files in vim running in a shell -- when I transfer them to my N900, I can continue editing them in a shell in vim. My desktop environment and my phone environment are identical. For me, that ability is priceless...

Busybox, shell scripts, the ability to run full desktop Linux programs, heck -- the ability to access the entire system within the Linux paradigm. Full access to device drivers. Normal multitasking (even using the classic fork()/exec() mechanism)! Full support for any programming language, be it C, C++, Python, whatever.

For some people, this beats any number of media or internet apps.

And yeah, this quote is why I decided to write this post. I don't know if you've seen it, but I went ahead and wrote a little N900 app called Pierogi. There are a fair number of folks using it, I think. As of last count I've got, let's see... 569 active ir keysets in it. Each one of those keysets can potentially control dozens of different models of devices. Not just TVs, but VCRs, DVDs, Blue rays, cable and satellite set-top boxes of many different stripes and colors, as well as stereo components, radios, air conditioners, cameras, and (if I can ever get the next update completed) a decent collection of projectors as well. Controls are semantically grouped into a series of tabbed panels. It can remember your favorite devices (and you can quickly switch between those favorites as needed). There's now a "power key search" feature, which you can also use as an improvised "TV-B-Gone" if you like. I'm working on adding macro capability to it, as well as keyboard support...

Anyway, it's something you might want to check out some time.

I owned an iPhone for four years before I switched to the N900. The apps were glorious, beautiful, amazing, and ultimately, completely unnecessary to my lifestyle. I ended up using it as nothing more than a phone that I occasionally used to browse the net or read email. When I want to use social media, when I want to play games, when I want to do anything serious, I usually just make my way to a real desktop computer to do it.

The N900 was a revelation when I found it. With Maemo, I can transition almost seamlessly from my desktop environment to my portable environment -- all the same tools are available in both places, and there is no barrier to communication or transfer of data between mobile device and desktop computer. Honestly, the thing is a pocket computer, in a way that the iPhone never will be...
We seem to have a difference of opinion of what constitutes a computer...

My iPhone "computer" can edit 1080p videos, audio, HD images, it is a very functional "computer"

My N900 "computer" can't do that. Not only with the hardware given, but also with the software. Bottom line.

They are both computers, both using the same processor type (ARM Cortex). So if you want to say, "Well one is a computer and one is not" due to the OS (BSD vs Linux kernels) - I would say that's a pretty silly notion. I don't think anyone would argue that the feats my iPhone computer are much more impressive than the feats my N900 computer can do.

I always like to reflect, and think, without bias, I don't like Apple - I don't generally like their products, I have always owned Nokia phones prior and loved them very much. With that being said - the N900 does have it's bonuses such as real multitasking, open source, great shell. But your talking about things that were being done in the 1980's...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
Point? N900 is 600MHz until you void the warranty. I am more of an N900 guy than an iPhone guy (meaning my emotions run much deeper for the N900 than the iPhone) but if you want to say "the iPhone does not SSHd" - that is simply not true.
It is 2012..... What warranty does any N900 user have?

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
I always use my N900's IR with Pierogi to control my TV and cable box.

LED notification is priceless.

I can't believe I'm going to say it, but battery life on the N900 has been far far better for me. Not once did I have to mix in with the crowd of iOS and Android users all huddled up around the 2 available power outlets at the numerous airport terminals I've been to even after a full days use with just 1 battery. Also, having the ability to replace my battery when the current one runs out is a he'll of a lot better than having to "plug in" to an external battery pack.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to whayong For This Useful Post:

Tags
bateman v nerds, clueless ii, iphone doucher, neckbeards pwnd