A completely locked down device ?

No. Im not in Lol

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Their site doesn't do anything unless I disable noscript.

Probably more a sign of the times than of hypocrisy, but still amusing if you're easily amused...

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
The Secure Wipe function.
That sounds suspiciously like the slogans on the toilet paper I bought recently.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Did you read their website?

You can not install a damn thing on this phone. There is a bunch of checked and preinstalled apps so nothing can tackle the phone security.

That is why I have posted it in the firs place - they offer something different than other android based "secure" phones.
Sounds a bit like a encrypted device + MDM, but you let them control the MDM-part. Also, the communications, while encrypted, still go through their servers. All in all, you have to put an awful lot of trust in their hands.

And as cvp said: as long as the sim and modem-parts are not separated but run inside the main system, bugs and other unwanted features could allow unlimited access to the rest of the device, accessible OTA. The Neo900 has a separate modem. It still could be eavesdropped, but only encrypted data sent and received by the main system.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
You can not install a damn thing on this phone. There is a bunch of checked and preinstalled apps so nothing can tackle the phone security.
Why on earth would anyone choose to use Android or indeed any Linux-based OS to do what they want to offer? If they want to build a phone that is completely locked down, Linux is way too bloated for this. The only reason that I can think of that they chose Android would be to take short cuts. If they think they can produce a secure phone simply by stripping out Google services, preventing the user from installing anything and by adding encryption, they are very much mistaken.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
We have to stop right here!

I never wrote that I'm in favour of that phone, that concept, that company etc.

I just wrote that it is something different then the rest and now reading through the latest post I feel like a person who should be answering doubts posted in many posts above

My only goal was to start a discussion and show it to you and I can announce a success

I like to read TMO fellow members opinions about various tech topics.

And now for the bottom line - I can imagine a scenario in which a phone like this is useful, even for me, but... Before putting my monthly income on the table I would have to read some tests of it, look what more tech / security orienteted guys wrote after testing the real device - for now - there is only some info on the website and speculations so I wait and watch with a bit of pop corn in my hand!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
I'm told these guys are legit.

Could be interesting (for consumers) if they do indeed offer an unlocked version.

Their main customer base with the existing product ought to be business and enterprise.

It's surprising that they'd even offer the phone without an option for installing third party apps to the consumer market.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
The Neo900 has a separate modem. It still could be eavesdropped, but only encrypted data sent and received by the main system.
I stopped reading about the Neo900 after so much time dragged on. Does this actually exist now (as your comment suggests)?

The Following User Says Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Actually there is one thing in fvour of Una OS - tutanota is cooperating with them and I can't say a bad word about their service

As for the Neo900 - well - they had some problems with PayPal, but everything is OK now so I hope that we start t get some news about the progress...

The Following User Says Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
they want to be secure, so they deserve it...totally locked

nice idea

The Following User Says Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post: