Active Topics

Notices

When my Palm TX died, I was excited to get the Nokia N800 and run it with the Garnet VM. I'm happpy with Garnet VM for some of the Palm apps that I have but majorly disappointed with the basic PIM apps and the Hotsync process. Mark a recurring task complete on Garnet VM and it loses all recurring information on Outlook. Hotsync takes forever. And how about the 'oh, I think your store might be corrupted so I am giving you an empty one!'.

So I decided to write my own. I have finished the first versiun of zTodo - a palm-like task manager and zSync to replace hotsync with Outlook. I am currently working on zCalSync (to sync outlook with GPE Calendar and zNoteSync (to sync Outlook with mNotes). I would be interested in an existing contacts manager that could be used to sync with Outlook. I have successfully dumped Outlook contact info into Claws mail contacts, but I find Claws mail contacts limited. Firstly, you can't search on contacts. Secondly, you can't launch it as a standalone application, so it takes to long to look up someone's phone number.

Anybody know of a better contact manager and integrates with Claws mail, but has the ability to add fields, search on contact and launch as a standalone app? Maybe I will have to tackle zContacts as a new app.

I'm also thinking about syncing the Outlook inbox with claws mail. Basic messages are no problem, but it is the attachments that cause some programming challenges. Thoughts?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dzon@shaw.ca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I aplaud your contribution. I've long waited something to sync with Outlook.

However in that wait, I've started exporing Windows 7 and linux (puppy linux) and cross platform applications like OpenOffice or in actuality Google. I've recently started using mCalendar. I believe they are working on a contacts program/screen to work with Google contacts. I don't know if your zSync would be able to work with their database, but that would be a huge leap! Alteratly if your 'zCal' would also have the ability to sync with Google. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ West Hills California
I run my own Tracks server. Web-based and multi-platform.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by dzon@shaw.ca View Post
I have successfully dumped Outlook contact info into Claws mail...
Thanks for your work! Please contact colin@colino.net and try to align your work with upstream development.

Thanks!
Tim